Animation flicker problems; upgrading from Vray 2.00.03 to 3.60.03.

stefanlarsson

Hi, this will be my first post here. Hopefully someone could help me with this issue I've been trying to solve for days now regarding Vray 3.60.03 and 3D studio Max 2018.

I just upgraded from 3D studio 2012 using Vray 2.00.03 to 3D studio 2018 with Vray 3.60.03.

When I opened my 2012 files in 2018 I got this regular V-ray Warning message telling me that new version using an updated Adaptive image sampling method etc. Choose Yes, your scene may render differently.... Choose No, your scene will render in same way as with previous versions.

I choice No, but when I render it out (these scenes has a moving camera with static objects) I get some nasty flickering which didn't happen using earlier versions of Max and Vray.

I've been trying to use similar IR settings (Prepass to rendering method) but still get flickering.

Always used Adaptive DMC as image sampler in earlier versions of Vray, but there's no such option now.

Been messing with basically all imaginable settings in Vray but still get distortions.

My scenes have rather high details and volume so it would be too time consuming to render it using Brute Force.

If someone have any advice, please let me know.

Have you compared the time difference between BF+BF and BF+LC, you may find that there the same or at least close and that may resolve your flickering problem. If your still wanting to render with LC and your pre rendering your animation using the multi frame incremental method try using Fly Through instead. You only need to render out the first frame for LC, make sure use camera path is checked, this method usually works for me.

Your scene should render the same way that it did before, just be sure that you are using local subdivs instead universal settings. If you want to keep your previews settings. You can find this under Global DMC that has the same controls as Adaptive DMC, they just moved the window, click the advanced button and you'll find all your old settings.

Having said that, the new settings work fine, you can always reset all settings, (Switch to scanline render and then back to V-Ray) and then setup your Irrandiance and Light cache as you need it. then adjust your noise threshold only, default samples min 1 max 24 may be enough if you need more then adjust as need it.

Brute force has advanced a lot since version 2.X and by the time you are done calculating and saving and loading Gi frames, rendering with Brute force+Light Cache may be faster.

There is a talk in Chaosgroup about not even saving Light cache when your camera is animated or objects are moving too. It will increase your per frame render time but this requires almost no setup time, and it will let you use GI with moving objects.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for reply's. This been much helpful.

@Devin: "Have you compared the time difference between BF+BF and BF+LC, you may find that there the same or at least close and that may resolve your flickering problem. If your still wanting to render with LC and your pre rendering your animation using the multi frame incremental method try using Fly Through instead. You only need to render out the first frame for LC, make sure use camera path is checked, this method usually works for me.."

Yes, that's a good method also that I started to use in 2018 since the regular IR+LC doesn't work for me. Its really weird since its exactly the same settings as in Max 2016 - and I'm also using Local Subdivides. However; Multi frame incremental with Light Cache - Fly Through works really well in 2018 and is a lot fast compared to earlier versions of Max/Vray, so I'll stick with that when there's just static objects with a moving camera.

@ Francisco: "Brute force has advanced a lot since version 2.X and by the time you are done calculating and saving and loading Gi frames, rendering with Brute force+Light Cache may be faster.

There is a talk in Chaosgroup about not even saving Light cache when your camera is animated or objects are moving too. It will increase your per frame render time but this requires almost no setup time, and it will let you use GI with moving objects."

Yeah, I notice its a lot faster. If you happen to have a link to that thread at Chaosgroup, please share it.