Large topographic map problem

Guys,

thank you for having me on this amazing website.

I have received an 85mb CAD topographic map of a region that we have to build in 3D. The problem we have is that the file is so big that CAD either crash or loads the file for 10 mins on a movement.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with massive scale topo data in 3D? What type of soft.

Thank you

This is just an image of topo/contour lines and you're having issues with an 85MB file? That's pretty small in reality if so, even if its 3d contours data. What's the resolution/pixels?

We deal with MrSID files that are GB's and don't have issues with Autodesk Civil 3D. Are you just trying to get it in a CAD program to trace the lines?

This is just an image of topo/contour lines, and you're having issues with an 85MB file? That's pretty small in reality if so, even if its 3d contours data. What's the resolution/pixels?

We deal with MrSID files that are GB's and don't have issues with Autodesk Civil 3D. Are you just trying to get it in a CAD program to trace the lines?

Hi Cris,

This is the first time that I have to deal with such a large terrain data 4.9 million m2 using CAD - 3D MAX. The terrain is really steep with lots of peaks. The CAD file I have is topo lines in 3D space The final product that I have to create is a highly detailed terrain with every tree, pond and rock on it (yes, there is data about trees, rocks, ponds etc.).

Basically, you gave me the direction that I have to start with - Civil 3D or InfraWorks.

Thank you.

Ah, that makes much more sense...its an actual 3d file. Yes, the loads of vertices will drive almost every computer nuts.

One thing that I've had to do with large areas is to crop them out to separate pieces before importing into 3ds Max and creating terrain...usually if you try to do it in one fell swoop, MAX will crash.