New Workstation Build - 2018

New build time. :)

Putting together the parts for a new workstation build. 3D modeling, rendering and post production, as well as drafting in autocad. Max, sketchup, Vray for both, corona. Plus all the usual arch viz programs. Also getting into UE4, and testing some other VR/real-time solutions.(gpu intensive)

Some of the picks are kind of arbitrary, been changing it up daily. Would love to hear some feedback. Until Intel's 10nm ships or the new Ryzen is released and really knocks my socks off, I'm solid on the 8700k. Need to have this built in the next month, so don't have time to wait for the next best thing...(or for gpu/ram prices to drop...) I want high single thread speed, good overclockability and intel stability. Looking into more cloud-based rendering options for larger projects, if not building another render node, so the 8700k's mult-thread is great for my rendering needs on this WS.

Still a small debate in my head of going with a I9/I7x for the xtra PCI lanes and other HEDT advantages...but the 8700k is just giving so much bang for the buck. I'm not sure the PCI lanes bottleneck the GPU's for 3D work anyway... Any thoughts? I've been working comfortably with 32gb of ram(for the most part.....definitely needing a little more), so maxing out at 64GBs should be fine for my purposes over the next few years.

Although I have a water cooler spec'd at the moment, I will most likely put in a Noctua D-15.....not a fan of having water inside my workstation. But wishing I could because they look so damn cool. :)

Going with the Asus X Hero mainly because its the only z370 with more than 2 usb ports! (only a slight exaggeration...) :) Also want to set up for the best overclock I can on air...

Cheers!

GD

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Burlynomad/saved/bkQsJx

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WNdVnH

Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WNdVnH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($338.99 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: Corsair - H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($169.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($254.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($663.49 @ Adorama)

Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Samsung)

Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ B&H)

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($1199.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($1199.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)

Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 Gunmetal TG ATX Mid Tower Case ($164.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair - 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($229.99 @ Amazon)

Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($129.99 @ My Choice Software)

Case Fan: Fractal Design - X2 GP-14 (Black) 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan ($14.38 @ OutletPC)

Case Fan: Fractal Design - X2 GP-14 (Black) 68.4 CFM 140mm Fan ($14.38 @ OutletPC)

Monitor: BenQ - PD3200Q 32.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor ($461.00 @ Amazon)

Monitor: BenQ - PD3200Q 32.0" 2560x1440 60Hz Monitor ($461.00 @ Amazon)

Keyboard: Corsair - K70 LUX RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($159.99 @ Corsair)

Mouse: Logitech - G602 Wireless Optical Mouse ($38.00 @ Amazon)

Other: Loctek D7L Heavy Duty Gas Spring Swing Monitor Arm Desk Stand Monitor Mount Fits for 10"-34" Monitor Weighting 13.2-33 lbs ($139.99 @ Amazon)

Other: Loctek D7L Heavy Duty Gas Spring Swing Monitor Arm Desk Stand Monitor Mount Fits for 10"-34" Monitor Weighting 13.2-33 lbs ($139.99 @ Amazon)

Other: 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse Wireless 3D Mouse 2.4GHz via Micro-USB (3DX-700043) ($121.00 @ Amazon)

Total: $6216.49

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-03 22:47 EST-0500

Well, that's a pretty maxed-out system all right. Possibly overkill for most people, but I guess you are best placed to determine your requirements and budget.

There is nothing to fear from using the type of closed loop all-in-one water cooling system such as you've shown here. Danger of leakage only really comes into it when you are assembling a custom loop with reservoir and pipes etc. The cooling benefit of having a radiator with 3 fans sucking heat out of an overclocked CPU will always be better than an air cooler blowing out into the case.

That being said, I've been running one of my systems overclocked with an air cooler and not had any issues so far. Look into the BeQuiet range for both air coolers and case fans, I really think their products are excellent. I've used the Dark Rock Pro cooler and Silentwings fans before.

My only comments here would be.

1. Water cooling is ok, maybe a long time ago they pop out or leak, but if you are not trashing your PC around, or putting new parts and taking old out too often, there is no reason to leak. of course manufacturer error but, it is minimal. I've done air colling for years, now my last two builds been using water coolant, they been running no problems for 3 years not, knocking wood ;)

Performance wise hair cooling is very good too.

2. SLI does not work with 3D Max or any content creation software. The only advantage for you would be when you using GPU rendering (no SLI usage just because you have 2 video cards) or playing video games then SLI will work

NVIDia will release their new video card series in the upcoming months, paying now 1K+ for something that will be 3 generations old doesn't seem right to me, but that my opinion of course.

My only comments here would be.

1. Water cooling is ok, maybe a long time ago they pop out or leak, but if you are not trashing your PC around, or putting new parts and taking old out too often, there is no reason to leak. of course manufacturer error but, it is minimal. I've done air colling for years, now my last two builds been using water coolant, they been running no problems for 3 years not, knocking wood ;)

Not sure about other countries but you cant buy CPUs without water cooling anymore in Australia.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

Was typing this reply earlier but got sidetracked.....will catch up tomorrow. thanks again!

Yeah, definitely not feeling any overkill here. Currently using a I7-5820k/x99 system with 32GB, GTX770 & GTX1070 and looking to move on up with whats currently available. 32 GB isn't enough for some exterior scenes in Max...so 64GB is a must. Not happy about the crypto-GPU prices, but not going to shut my business down until prices come back down to save a $1000. :)

So, yeah...what Ive got going on is we're bringing in another employee, so need to come up with a whole new setup.(the pccpartpicker list is basically my +/-exact current setup with cpu/mb/gpus upgraded) Instead of building a budget workstation for them, going to give them my hand-me-downs.(and get me a new one in the process) :) My WS is well over 2yrs old now and starting to feel the wear & tear on it, anyway.

This new machine will double as my main workstation and also run real-time walk-throughs to the yyyuuge dual monitors in the conference room during client meetings. (I dont game...at all...and the 1080ti's will not be in SLI) ;)

Oh $*i#....just noticed as I was scanning my pcpp list again that it does say SLI on there....I think it's listed that way because it's the only way I could spec dual cards is by selecting 'SLI'... My bad. Yeah, but I'm def not SLI'ing. Just wanting max power available for anything GPU related. I use GPU extensively with Vray up until final renders on cpu. Also have been delving more and more into Real-time solutions and loving it, so not looking to skimp in the GPU dept.

I hear you about the water-cooling. It's one of those things - everybody has told me it's fine for years, but I just haven't built with water before and it always had this stigma with me...I just picture it springing a leak (like my radiators seeem to do every 3.45 yrs..) just as I'm feverishly trying wrap up a big deadline I stayed up 4 days to finish. Noctua's D-15 has treated me well the last 3yrs with a 4.5ghz OC on my 5820k. But, I do feel like its time to take the plunge.... I just sent my 8700k off to SillyLotto to be delidded....so I'm anticipating an awesome overclock either way. But I get more excited when I think about it delidded on water. :)

I just sent my 8700k off to SillyLotto to be delidded....so I'm anticipating an awesome overclock either way. But I get more excited when I think about it delidded on water. :)

Not trying to be offensive here, but it is not an oxymoron to be concerned of water cooling, that has been proven for many years now, but you just send to delidd your Main CPU that will totally kill any warranty that you could have for three years+??

O.C. is fun and yes you get some extra juice from it, I have my AMD1700X O.C. to 3.9 Ghz and it running no problems ( 8cores 16 thread), with a water cooling system, I live and work in South California so heat is the main concern for me but so far, everything is stable.

Now I would not recommend delid at all. it is just too much risk for just a few extra Hertz. But that's just my 2 Cents ;)

Let us know how it performs when all is settled and done. It looks like a monster machine.

Hey Francisco,

No problem! Yeah, like I said, I've always just stuck to air because I've always had a 'fear' of water leaking everywhere and have opted for the simplicity of air. But I'm looking into taking the plunge this build and delidding sounded like too much fun to pass up. First time delidding....just something I want to try this time around. I'm feeling like I'll go water this time, just not solidified whole build yet...havent order all the parts... (btw, silicon lottery gives replacement warranties on their delidding. and it's supposed to bring coffee lake temps down by 12° to 25° C. I would imagine it prolonging the life of an OC'd cpu.) Plus you guys are making me feel dumb for not using water cooling. ;)

Yes, will try to keep you all updated on build....(will 'try'...man we freaking busy these days!!)

I really appreciate all your feedback - it's always good to hear from people in my field with actual relevant experience. :)