FloorGenerator, Hex Floor, Special Mapping

Larissa Holderness

Creating a hexagonal floor pattern using 3D Max and FloorGenerator. Client wants a special random tile pattern and I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

Attached are the reference image, the render I am getting, as well as my maps. The reference image is not the pattern the client wants - they want the tiles randomized through the space, with the 'clean tile' being most prominent.

Suggestions... Thanks!

HEX_REF.jpg

MAPS.JPG

RENDER.jpg

Do you really need Floor Generator for this? Just make a single map such as you have or go a step further and make the hexagonal shape in PS and then copy it 6 times in the material editor. Plug those into a VrayMultiSubTex having rotated each copy of the map 60 degrees more than the last.

With this material, you should be able to just copy out your floor tile and collapse it all together. Use a Material by Element modifier on the collapsed object and use Random assign ID by 6.

This will generate the randomness through the modifier and the mapping can stay consistent as long as you UVW map it before you collapse.

There is a seed value if you don't like the result and you can use an Edit Poly to target specific tiles if you want.

Tried that. Part of the problem is that the parts of the tile that are darker gray ... have to be triangles. And the mapping is jacked. :\

No the mapping is fine.... it's your hex maps that are jacked :) . You have the grey areas angled at 45 degrees when they need to be angled in 30 degree increments instead. Once you correct that and make sure you have unticked all of the randomisers in the Floor Generator UUV settings tab..... it works fine.

Or do what Corey says.. though if it was a large area you might like the random gamma and saturation controls that the FG / Multi-map route affords.

Hope it helps.

You can also use a second MultiSubTex with no maps to Multiply/Screen over your Diffuse maps through a Composite node if you would like to randomize. Just use colors really close to white on Multiply and really close to Black on Screen. I usually carry the 6 maps into about 12 or 24 to increase randomness just repeating the same basic 6, but adding to the random color pool.

It can get cumbersome so if you can figure out the Floor Generator use it, but as a Max native solution this will work.