Which softwares did you learn to become what you are today?

abhisekguha

This post is basically on behalf of my wife. She doesn't have any traditional qualification on architecture or design, but being a stay-at-home wife she picked up interest learning 3Ds Max/Vray/AutoCAD/Photoshop and sketch up. She learned really well in last 2 years and created some nice photorealistic render of interior/exterior......

I want her to go ahead and take it more seriously to make a freelancing career out of it as a Arch Visualizer.

So could you guys please suggest me after those softwares what else should she learn? If you guys are master in multiple software in which order did you prepare yourself? There are so many software out there and many companies look for experience in 7-8 softwares... Revit, UE4, Lumino, Blender, Illustrator, solid works, Maya, Zbrush, Rhino and so on... we are kind of lost making decision!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Avi,

3Ds Max/Vray/AutoCAD/Photoshop and sketch up is a pretty good software set for creating professional 3d renderings. I even don't use sketch up in my work.

Your wife might be interested what is composition and postproduction, so she can learn how to use Photoshop for it, or Blackmagic Fusion, or Nuke instead of it. I love Blackmagic Fusion because it's easy to work in.

She can really learn Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw to draw some splines and textures. In many cases drawing complex splines in Corel Draw and importing them in 3ds Max is easier than creating splines directly in 3DS Max.

Of course, if she'll decide to work in the interactive niche, she should learn UE.

Knowing the rest of software isn't necessary if she already knows 3DS Max.

Good luck with learning software!

Edited by eugenyzakharov

• 1 month later...

Hi Avi,

I would agree with Ievgen, don't try and learn lots of 3d packages, pick one and learn it well.

Perhaps more important than the 3d package is your choice of renderer, and here I would recommend going with one of vRay or Corona.

Personally I think you need to get right into production and avoid experimenting. This may sound like the opposite advice of what a lot of people in training will tell you, but in my experience you learn a lot faster when you are focused on a specific goal or deadline. You will automatically learn the skills important to getting to results you need, and as you gain experience, the new skills will come naturally with every new challenge.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Regards

Jesper Pedersen

www.pedersenfocus.ie