3D studio Max 2018: Set Priority

stefanlarsson

I wonder if there's a way to change the Process priority for 3D max 2018?

It always uses all the CPU capacity, even though I change the priority to Low in Task Manager (Win7). I've also tried to changed it using software such as Processhacker, but it won't make any difference. It's a bit frustrating that it take all the powers and I'm hardly able to move the mouse cursor while rendering. I got all the latest updates for Max. I'm using Vray for render engine.

If anyone had the same issue and managed to solve it, then please explain:confused: how to do.

Set affinity does'nt really work any longer with Vray, Arnold or other current renderers, as they seem to come with their own internal affinity mask manipulation code

I just answered a similar question on TheArea about a way to limit Vray cores to be exactly one less then the existing cores on the machine

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/3d-studio-keeps-resetting-cpu-affinity/m-p/7601753#M151198

Here's a full quote of my post

Remark: the following is not really tested, the idea just sprung to my mind after reading your previous post

Anyways:

AFAIK vray makes use of an env variable called VRAY_NUM_THREADS ( if it exists) to limit the used cores during rendering.

So running the following commands ONCE in a Command prompt ( as administrator) on a machine would PERSISTENTLY limit the number of cores used by Vray during rendering to EXACTLY ONE CORE LESS then the actual cores existing on that specific machine

set /a CORE_COUNT=%NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS%-1 
setx /M VRAY_NUM_THREADS %CORE_COUNT%

You should restart 3ds Max or the Vray spawner to make use of that environment variable

Would be great if you could report back success or fail if you test this on your machines ;-)

Edited by spacefrog
split command into two lines, as the one liner did apparently NOT work, sorry ;-)