Protect my concepts

taronizars

Hello,i am an architect designer,i have a spectacular exterior architectural concepts for hotels ,skyscraper,museums,etc..,i want to protect my concepts to be stolen,i heard from people that in Switzerland you can protect these design,any body know how?or other place around world.

with thanks

Everything you design has copyright assigned to you, so it's protected in that sense.

As for stopping people stealing it, that's much harder / impossible if it's in the public domain. You'll have to be reactive (suing for copyright infringement), rather than proactive (fancy systems to stop thieves).

They say "imitation is a form of flattery", and that's the approach most will take. If you can be first at your design, and make it well known that it's your designs, then anything after will be know as a copy, and most likely won't hold as much value as yours.

That's just my take on these situations anyway.

Dean

Are you talking renderings or buildings?

The design of a project should happen once you're given a project. Not before. Then there's nothing to steal because by then it's already built. If you have a bunch of pre-made designs and you're waiting around for someone to buy them, you definitely run the risk of someone one building something similar first. There's really no way to stop that.

For example if i visited an architectural firm to sell my architectural concept(exterior concepts) and i show them my design,how can i protect my designs from being stolen from that architectural firm (lets say that maybe they have cameras in the meeting room ).is there an organisation that give you a copyright to your design ,so i can put the name of that organization on my designs so any one want to steal my design see that i have protect my design.

with thanks for any reply

*not i want to protect my architectural exterior concepts,not my rendering.

Edited by taronizars

I'm sorry Taro.... you've got to get with the real world. Plagiarism is everywhere,you plagiarise too, just perhaps don't realise it. Maybe the ancient Romans could sue you for stealing their unique exterior concept of lintels...? :)

Your unique and apparently valuable concepts will have come from your own interpretation and modification and adaption of other peoples concepts. That is what architectural design is.... it's all just ongoing conceptual development and standing on the shoulders of other designers back through the ages. As seemingly unique as the design concepts of Gaudi or Frank Gehry are, do you think there is any legal mechanism where they can say that this squiggle is mine and mine only and if another architect produces a similar squiggle I can sue?

All anybody has to do is change a detail here and there and they can claim one of your concepts (or one of Antonio's or Frank's) as their own.

I think your dreaming....

Edited by CliveG

I can't see how other architects would pay for your off the shelf designs? The fees an architect charges are for designing a building to fit a brief, budget and other requirements. Chances are if they ever want one of your designs then they'll have to significantly re-design it anyway.

If your designs and concepts are incredible, then architectural practices will be offering you jobs all day long. One thing you could try is to take a Non Disclosure Agreement with you for the client to sign. Again it won't stop them from stealing anything, more like a warning to say you're serious about your IP, and if they do steal, and you can prove it, then you've got some paperwork to back up your claim.

The only way I could see an architect paying for something like this would be if you developed a system, which is unique and offers the architect and their end clients an advantage. For example, you might design a system to construct a metal work lattice which is 200% faster, and 50% cost savings over traditional methods. You could then patent and sell this, but I'm guessing this isn't what you've done.

However, an alternative could be to work on competitions. If you win, the credibility and recognition probably out weights any costs a 1 off client may pay.

Edited by notamondayfan
gramma :)

Hello,i am an architect designer,i have a spectacular exterior architectural concepts for hotels ,skyscraper,museums,etc..,i want to protect my concepts to be stolen,i heard from people that in Switzerland you can protect these design,any body know how?or other place around world.

with thanks

Well, take a number and weight in line with all the others.

Sorry man. is not that easy how you may think.

As mentioned here, You are not the only who says his/her design is incredible and each project needs to fit the clients, needs.

It is easy to do 'great design' when you don't have constraints, but when you have client input, city regulation, engineering limitations, budget caps and many more. Well, that's an Architects job.

If you really think your work is unique, and don't want anybody to copy. Then you may have better luck, finding a partner contractor and engineer and building it yourself.

Dear C G you said that" Your unique and apparently valuable concepts will have come from your own interpretation and modification and adaption of other peoples concepts. That is what architectural design is.... it's all just ongoing conceptual development and standing on the shoulders of other designers back through the ages" .

In fact my designs for hotels ,skyscraper,museum, etc... come from my own imagination,my own only,if i saw a good design i look at it with an overall eye, looking without concentrate on details ,because if i concentrate on details then i may use it in my concept,an i don't like to do that ,so i only make design from my imagination.

i show some of my design to a family member of mine (he is an architect),he told me your designs is called "deconstruction designs",i didn't know that. i didn't study Architectural engineering ,i am an computer engineering,architectural design is my hobby,and i want to protect my designs,any help.

with thanks

Architects wont pay for concepts especially from someone who isn't an Architect. At least I've never heard of this. That's like being a chef at a restaurant and ordering meals from another restaurant. The whole point of being an Architect is to come up with the concept themselves. It's the reason they get hired. So if this is a hobby and don't plan on becoming one yourself, and are scared of someone copying your concepts then I guess don't show them anybody.