ssd adapter

You can take basically any PCIe x4 M.2 adapter card (M.2 2280). For data only you just have to make sure that there are enough free PCIe lanes to get the full speed and install the NVMe driver for windows - as far as i know only needed for Windows 7, Win 8 and 10 should already have NVMe support.

If you want to boot from it then this could be a problem, because your UEFI/BIOS needs to support NVMe... and it doesn't look like there are any recent updates available for your board. The lastest one is Version 4801 Beta Version from 2014/07/28

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P9X79/HelpDesk_BIOS/

I think the only thing you can do is to look for a modded BIOS or mod it yourself...

https://www.win-raid.com/t871f50-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI-BIOS.html

(edit: I have to add that i don't know anything about this forum and the quality of the info in this thread. And i never modded a BIOS myself. This one just came up in the search for "NVMe mod BIOS" and looked quite solid to me at first sight. If you're interested, you should do your own research... ;-) )

Edited by numerobis

sooo, I send email to assus this is answer :

Thank you for contacting ASUS Support.

Unfortunately, your motherboard does not have official NVMe boot support. As this is an older model, it is unlikely that it will get further updates supporting additional features.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

I am going to use this comp as render node now,

Can somebody suggest price of used configuration

MB: asus p9x79

CPU: i7 3930K working on 4.3 GHZ

Cooler: Noctua (this is best thing i have discovered)

GPU: GTX 960 4GB

Memory: corsair 16G Low profile

Power cooler master (i think it si 750W)

Blueray optical disc burner

Termaltake case

Dont sell my hdd.