Best machine for 3dsmax

Hi guys

I was just wondering if someone can tell me how powerful their machines are at work. If anyone works for a bit important visualisation company if they could drop a post with their specifications.

I would like them to compare them with my machine. As IT support rebuilt recently my computer but I feel like it is still same slow.

Thanks in advance,

R

These days as a minimum spec I would be looking at

24 threads CPU

64GB Ram

8GB GPU card

SSD Hard drive

Obviously if you render with CPU I would focus on getting the most CPU threads as possible. Same goes if you are GPU rendering - best card with the most VRAM or more GPU cards pending on choice of renderer. If you handle very large scenes such as developments or cities with intricate detail - more total RAM. If you handle lots of files and copy large amounts of data, scratch drives, do heavy post production/animation/vfx for caching files then get the best possible SSD hard drive.

The same applies for years, If you need a workstation only for modeling, test renderings, Photoshop work and so on, then get the fastest CPU you can get.

If you need a workstation that will also be used for final rendering, then try to get as many cores you can afford with the higher clock speed.

Now for technical reasons this two option do not goes hand in hand, usually when more cores, less clock speed, so you need to find a balance that works for you.

Other than that, SSD is a must as today's standard, even these are old, the new M2 disk are faster, and as much RAM your CPU can support.

A good starting point would be to check render test websites, such, V Ray test scenes or Corona render scenes or Cinebench. then compare with what machine you have now, and how much money you need to invest for a considerable difference.

Good friends, I am here as a new member in this exciting forum, looking to nurture the knowledge of the world of 3dsmax. My greetings from Madrid, eager to go into more extensive matters, compiling much of their experiences. Happy day. Happy day.

• 2 weeks later...
These days as a minimum spec I would be looking at

24 threads CPU

64GB Ram

8GB GPU card

SSD Hard drive

Obviously if you render with CPU I would focus on getting the most CPU threads as possible. Same goes if you are GPU rendering - best card with the most VRAM or more GPU cards pending on choice of renderer. If you handle very large scenes such as developments or cities with intricate detail - more total RAM. If you handle lots of files and copy large amounts of data, scratch drives, do heavy post production/animation/vfx for caching files then get the best possible SSD hard drive.

Hi guys,

thank you for your comments.

I have been checking my computer spec:

49GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro K4000

Intel Xeon CPU 2GHz (32CPUs)

Comparing with what James Vella said it is quite low, isnt it? I work with very big files. 3D Revit models of buildings imported into max as FBX, forest pack landscapes and heavy 3dmodels sometimes. Files from 500mg to 1gb.

3dsmax crashes many times, and so slow working with and rendering.

Do you think guys it is a must to get an improvement or it should be enough to properly work with what i have.?

What is is the "24 threads CPU" you mention James?

Thank you guys,

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys,

thank you for your comments.

I have been checking my computer spec:

49GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro K4000

Intel Xeon CPU 2GHz (32CPUs)

Comparing with what James Vella said it is quite low, isnt it? I work with very big files. 3D Revit models of buildings imported into max as FBX, forest pack landscapes and heavy 3dmodels sometimes. Files from 500mg to 1gb.

3dsmax crashes many times, and so slow working with and rendering.

Do you think guys it is a must to get an improvement or it should be enough to properly work with what i have.?

What is is the "24 threads CPU" you mention James?

Thank you guys,

Threads are just the CPU total you see - in your case 32.

Assuming you render with CPU your machine is quite capable of most tasks required. We would all love the latest video card or more ram but I would be happy with your setup if I was conscientious about money.

Files do get quite large - much higher than 1gb but you should be proxying out heavy objects and instancing where possible, using cloning, forestpro etc to optimize your scenes - I generally dont let the file go over 100mb and start proxying early on to prevent this, speeds up viewport and saving files are much quicker which also gives the scene a lot less to think about until render time.

3D revit files are prone to crashing your scene if they are not cleaned up well on import, there can be quite a few reasons why 3dsmax would crash regularly, you can have broken scripts/memory leaks, not have the latest service packs, corrupt items in the scene, workflow issues where you might inadvertently be incrementing values much higher than the software expects (simple example would be turbosmooth 100 or attaching 200+ objects simultaneously), lots of reasons really you should take note of what you were doing specifically when it crashed and see if there is a commonality between these moments.