uncompressed texture size in 3ds max

danieleboldicotti

Hi guys,

is there any way in 3ds max to view the real uncompressed texture size of all the textures I have in my scene and by this way understand how much memory I am using? In lightwave (please see attachement) when you import a texture you immediatly see the real size (which is not the one you can see in your browser) and as you can easly understand this is extremly helpful when you have to optimize your scene and speedup your render.

thanks in advance.

Best,

Dan

screenshot.jpg

You can do something similar in 3D Max, but your video card will pay the consequences for sure ;)

You need to go to the Viewport configuration, under the Display performance tab, there you can adjust the texture size display. Then on the material editor, you can change the default texture display in the viewport to realistic material, if your textures are not showing correctly still.

Hi Francisco,

thanks for your reply, but I don't think it's exactely what I need, I know that option but it doesn't show me the statistics of the unfolded textures like in attachment. The 90% of the Max users doesn't optimize at best the scenes and this issue slows down the workflow especially when you don't have a powerful machine and you need to optimize every single object. When you import a texture in Max, for example a jpeg of 2362x2362 and it's 3Mb big in reality is much bigger because you need to calculate 2362 x 2362 x4 (channels: RGBA) x8(n. bits per channel) = 178.529.408 bits = 22.316.176 bytes = 22.316 kB = 22.31 MB (without compression) which is much bigger than the original 3Mb that you can see from your browser and as you can easly understand when you have several textures in your scene this issue makes the performance worse. What i need to know is if there is any script/plugin that shows the real size of the textures like Lightwave does..

thanks

Dan

Well for most Max users that optimization is not necessary, most of them just use for single image creation, or video or composition creations and many others so even though optimization is a good thing, sometimes is not worth the effort.

Having said that maybe there is a scrip or something similar in Max that I don't know of. 3dMax toolset for some tasks is limited compared to other 3D apps.

best luck.

You can do it directly on your render in Photoshop. Render out a rough the size of the final.

Then just drag a texture map over it and size it to the scale of the object in the rendering.

Say it's a brick wall. Put the brick map over the wall and size it to the scale you want. This will be the exact optimal size you will need. Anything bigger will be a waste. Then save the whole thing as a jpg and crop down to your map edges. Voila!

Edited by heni30