Perspective matching doesn't match the design of the building.

ahmeds

I'm confused by what's going on here. As you can see it looks like my geometry matches the reference photo from the camera001 view, so far anyway, but in perspective it looks way off the actual design of the building, the roof shouldn't extend that much.

I think the scale is correct, I have 2 cylinders representing the chairs and their dimensions are accurate.

What is happening?

003a-Hall-Merrick-063944_017.jpg

The 2 reference images

2018-05-07_19h35_38.jpg

Geometry looks like it matches in this view.

2018-05-07_19h36_20.jpg

but the roof extends all the way to the pool.

003a-Hall-Merrick-063944_016.jpg

Edited by ahmeds

Well if you don't have the original photo (RAW) then it would be hard to match and get exact dimensions. This is because maybe the photo that you are using as a reference was manipulated, stretched or something.

You need to account also that some Arch Photographers uses tilt-shift lenses, and those also produce a distortion that is really hard to match if you don't have more information.

To get a correct photo match you need to know what lens they used, (Size in mm) the form factor of the camera (full or crop sensor or other) and the distance and height of the camera when taking that shot. Those are minimum requirements to get a more precise camera match, otherwise, is just guessing work.

You have several heights that you can see in the image that are known distances.

One is the height of the kitchen island, since they have barstools you can assume that thing is bar height. Which is typically 42" high. Kitchen counters are almost always 36" high.

Typical interior doors are either 6'8" or 8' and you can be pretty sure they are going with the higher end 8' doors in this building. You can't see the door per say, but the line running along the upper parts of the cabinets as well as the height of the fridge is probably 8' high to line up with the doors. I've never met an architect who didn't like to have all of their lines line up.

When you have those distances, you don't need to get anal about matching the camera type. Just get it close and keep checking dimensions. You can also throw in a 6' high box in there. If that doesn't look right compared to the human sized 6' box, then you know you are off.

Thanks for the tip about finding the common vertical heights, like the kitchen counter. I've tried it but it's still hard work figuring out the distance between each reference point and in the end the model is still off.

I'll put this exercise on hold for now, it's proving more trouble than it's worth. I might try it with simpler photos that I'll take myself.