Quadro or GTX

Hi everyone, I'm an architect doing all my drawings and basic modelling in Autocad Architecture and main modeling and rendering in 3dsmax 2014 with Vray (Cpu rendering) and some Photoshop post production. I currently work on my Dell Precison M6700 laptop but i need a workstation for work and my boss asked me to put a configuration for 3000 -3500€ (I'm in Croatia so the prices are a bit higher than in the US). My laptop is working ok but i have stuttering sometimes with larger models (over 10 million polys and verts) in shaded with edges viewport.

My main question is, is this configuration good and which GPU is best for these programs Quadro or GTX beacuse internet is full of these discusions but I cannot find the final answer, i need the best GPU for large model viewport performance, in Autocad Arch. and especially 3dsmax.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7820X

AIO: NZXT - Kraken X62

MOTHERBOARD: Asus - ROG STRIX X299-XE GAMING

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4-2666

SSD: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280

HDD: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5"

GPU: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card OR Quadro P4000

CASE: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro

POWER SUPPLY: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold

MONITOR: Dell - U2417H 24.0"

Hi Nikolaos, thank you for the reply. Just one more question, do you think that 1070ti will be also enough for Autocad or Revit viewport for 3D modeling. Also never heard of iiyama monitors but I'll certanly look into them since you have recommended it.

The 1070Ti would be just fine for both. GeForce cards are not officially supported by Autodesk in some of their apps, but they usually work perfectly fine in these applications. The official support means that if you happen to have a problem with, let's say Revit, they won't be able to give you support for solving the problem. But, in real life, there are usually no serious problems with Geforce cards and these apps. It's all about promoting the Quadro line, if you know what I mean... So, don't worry about that.

The Iiyama monitors are vfm monitors. I picked a mid-end 27" monitor with 1440p resolution, IPS panel and slim bezels. For just above 300€ it's a great value for money, compared with the Dell 24" you had in mind and costs around 210€.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Tin,

Sorry that I'm late to the party but i wonder did you combined that workstation and how did setup ended after-all.

If you still didn't then don't worry 1070 Ti will work same as 1080 in 3DSMax GUI, especially 'coz both have same amount of VRAM (8GB).

Currently I have 4 GPUs in my workstation and when i switched from Titan X (M) to newest RTX 2080Ti i didn't notice any speedup in 3DSMAX viewport.

I use them for GPU rendering so that is where 2080Ti is now 2.5x faster than my old Titan X but in viewport no difference noticeable by eye.

cheers

Hi Elvis,

In the end I got this system because, as you know, in Croatia it is a bit harder to find high end parts so you have to go with what they have, and the prices are a lot higher than in Germany, US etc.

CPU: Intel - Core i9-7920x

AIO: NZXT - Kraken X62

MOTHERBOARD: MSI X299 Raider

RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32GB (4x8 2933Mhz)

SSD: Samsung - 970 EVO 500GB M.2-2280

HDD: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5"

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070Ti Windforce 8GB GDDR5

CASE: NZXT H700

POWER SUPPLY: Corsair HX850 850W 80+ Platinum

MONITORS: 2x DELL P2418D 2K IPS

Total price: around 4200€ in Croatia

I tested one scene in 3dsmax with 14 mil polys and 14 mil verts, the file is 1.35 GB in size.

On my laptop which has Quadro K4000M with 4GB RAM, the FPS was 1.5-3-3 in Wireframe which was almost unusable, 13 FPS in shaded and 10 FPS in Realistic viewport.

On my new rig the FPS in Wireframe is 7-25 which is a huge difference since i can normaly rotate the model, 10-30 FPS in shaded and 8-20 FPS in Realistic.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see you have noticeable difference but that is partly due much better CPU than in laptop too and laptop GPUs are usually lower powered chips i..e slower than "real ones" for desktop.

As for hardware in Croatia yeah i know the prices, I live there too, i got my Dual Xeons from USA 'coz they were way to expensive locally ;)