Pre-owned Xeon Workstation

Hey Guys!

I woud like to buy a new workstation and looking for possibly the best solution that I could have.

During my research I found a pre-owned

HP Z820 Workstation

- 2x Xeon 12Core E5-2697v2 2,7GHz 30MB maxTurbo3,5GHz

- Quadro K6000 12GB GPu

- 64GB DDR3 RAM

- Integrated 2-channel SATA 6 Gb/s controller

- RAID 0, 1 capable; Integrated 4-channel SATA 3 Gb/s controller,

- RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 capable; Integrated 8-channel SAS 6 Gb/s controller,

- RAID 0, 1, 10 capable,

- 4x LFF HDD Bay,

- 2x 300GB SAS Hdd, DVDRW,

- Intel/Realtek HD ALC262 Audio,

- Dual integrated Intel GbE LAN;

- Infineon TPM 1.2 Controller; -

- nVidia Quadro K6000 12GB GDDR5 384Bit Memory Bandwidth 288Gb/s Cuda Cores 2880 PCI Express x16 3.0 1x

DVI, 1x DVI-D, 2x Display-Port,

- 1125W 90% Efficient PSU

At firt sight it looks like a real monster, but what i really dont know if it could used and/or updated

whith nowadays softwares!??? ( 3ds max 2018, Vray, Adobe PAck..ect)

THX!

Cheers

Thomas

That is a good machine, but as mentioned by Nikolaos it depends on how much they are selling it.

Regarding the upgrade, I don't know if it would be worth the effort. most of the components in this machine are at the end of their life so not too much upgrade you could do, only adding more RAM and installing SSD, a faster Video card also could help but you'll need to check the power supply capacity, and here is where things get a little complicated because HP place custom Power supply on their machines. and they are hard to find for that specific machine.

other than that, as is I think it is pretty good. I would work better as a render node than a modeling workstation though, because of the lower default speed of the CPU.

• 2 months later...

The Build is Good.. if it is very affordable but again you need to understand that this build is Old as well as nowadays Xeon V4 series or Scalable series are there plus the RAM should be DDR4 ECC Generation .... Go for 2TB HDD considering your requirements if you are going in RAID Configuration then 4TB (1 TB each) should work.

Also, consider having SSD of 120 GB atleast. GPU should be of P series like P2000 or P4000.

For the perfect solution, I shall also suggest you to consult system integrators like Pugetsystems, Boxx or Ant PC etc. as well so as to get better reliable yet crafted for your workstation.