New Threadripper Workstation

Hi guys,

I'm building a new workstation.

I'm working with Cinema4D and Corona Render and Photoshop. So no need for highend GPU but decent CPU power

Here is my setup so far. What do you think? Any cahnges needed?

CPU:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X 16C/32T

Mainboard: :confused:

MSI MEG X399 CREATION EATX (Retail)

PSU: :confused:

550 Watt Seasonic FOCUS Plus Modular 80+ Gold

RAM:

64GB HyperX Predator DDR4-3000 DIMM CL15 Quad Kit

Cooler:

Enermax LiqTech TR4 II 360mm CPU-Kühler

GPU: :confused:

4GB Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4G Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 (Retail)

SSD:

500GB Samsung 860 Evo

Hello Grischa,

I´ve bought a workstation last month with the following specs:

01 CPU AMD Ryzen TR-2950X 16/32 Core

02 KHL Enermax Liqtech TR4-240

03 LFT 120 x 120 mm Silent 4-Pin PWM

04 MOB ASUS ROG Strix X399-E Gaming

05 RAM DDR4-3200 CL16 2x16GB Skill F4-3000C16D

06 SSD Samsung 970EVO 500GB

07 NZT BeQuiet Straight Power 750W 80+ Gold modular

08 GEH Aerocool AERO 800 schwarz

It´s running fine but the first Overclocking preset with 4,1 GHz didnt work unter full load with 3dsMAX Vray rendering. Switched back to standard mode and all was working fine, with no dramatical loss in render time (about 3-5%)

In your configuration you should use a more powerful power suply, 750W should be better. In the "PC Games Hardware" I read an article, where they say, that a 900W power suply would be better, especially for overclocking. For extrem overclocking you need a water cooling better than the all in one solutions.

It's not only about wattage. The X399 motherboards need psus with 2 8-pin EPS 12V connectors, not one.

I've made some changes to the initial list. See if it fits your budget:

1 Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB, SATA (MZ-76E500B)

1 AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X, 16x 3.50GHz, boxed ohne Kühler (YD295XA8AFWOF)

1 G.Skill Trident Z silber/rot DIMM Kit 64GB, DDR4-3200, CL16-18-18-38 (F4-3200C16Q-64GTZ)

1 Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 Mini, 8GB GDDR5, DVI, HDMI, 3x DP (ZT-P10700G-10M)

1 Gigabyte X399 Designare EX

1 NZXT Kraken X52 mit AM4-Bracket (RL-KRX52-02)

1 EVGA GQ Serie 750 GQ 750W ATX 2.3 (210-GQ-0750-V2)

2476€

It's a pity to buy a rig like this and run the apps on a 1050ti.

Hi,

thanks for your recommendations!

Just a couple of questions:

- why would you choose the NZXT Kraken over the Enermax LiqTech TR4 II ?

- You really think it's worth the extra 200€ for the GPU ? I'm not using any GPU render engine.

Best,

Grischa

I tried to shave off some € in order to fit a better gpu in your rig. I consider the 1050ti an absolute minimum for CG stuff these days and appropriate only for low budget rigs. Yours is mid to high-end, and it's better to have a better gpu performance on call in case you need it. It's about having a balanced system. You never know when you'll be dealing with larger scenes in the future, and that's when the greater power and the larger Vram of the 1070 will become really useful.

As for the cpu cooler, I thought you were spending too much for an AIO, especially if you're going to run your 2950X at stock speeds. I have an NZXT Kraken AIO cooler in my rig too, and I assure you that they have a great support in case anything goes wrong (that's a big + in these cases).

WIth stock speeds you can get away with even lower end AIO coolers and save some more money too.

Hi Nikolaos,

ok great!

I think I'll stay with the Enermax cooler - not because of overclocking but because of noise ;-)

The 1070GPU I think does make sense.

Last question about the mainboard. Not sure if I should take the Gigabyte X399 AORUS Xtreme or the one you suggested. (Gigabyte X399 Designare EX). What is the main difference?

Cheers,

Grischa

...The 1070GPU I think does make sense...

Yes. While Cinema4D's two main render engines are CPU, you will want a robust graphics card for GUI navigation. Arch-viz scenes can get very heavy, and when doing camera work, especially for animation, you want smooth viewport playback. That is entirely the job of the graphics card. I have been working with a huge file that I can navigate well on one PC but not another. They both have Quadro cards, but the older one has less RAM. They both render the file well. Day-to-day viewport navigation is the most important thing when choosing your setup, unless you are building a dedicated rendering station.

I own the x399 Taichi and its fantastic, runs the CPU very stable at 4.1Ghz thanks to the great VRM/heatsinks it has. Doesnt have some of the bells and whistles of the MSI and Gigabyte boards which were suggested to you (and those are great too), but if you dont care about that stuff and you are only interested in having a great board that can handle a good OC, get the Taichi and put the extra money in a GTX 1070.

Go with a 360mm AIO cooler only if you do long rendering sessions (10+ hours), otherwise you really dont need such a large AIO. I had a 240mm one and it couldn't handle long rendering sessions without throttling the CPU, but ever since I got a 360mm AIO I have no problem. If you dont care about aesthetics, a good beefy aircooler like Noctua/Wraithreaper can also do the job well for much less money. Another benefit to these big air coolers is that they cool the VRMs too.

Thanks Dimitar!

Sounds good to me.

I was thinking about the Noctua cooler as well. I've always had Noctuas so far. Although I'm not 100% sure if it will really handle the threadripper well.

Anyway I'll put a new build together and ask for some final feedback.

Thx,

Grischa

Thanks Dimitar!

Sounds good to me.

I was thinking about the Noctua cooler as well. I've always had Noctuas so far. Although I'm not 100% sure if it will really handle the threadripper well.

Anyway I'll put a new build together and ask for some final feedback.

Thx,

Grischa

Noctua has a few coolrs custom designed for the Threadripper:

https://noctua.at/en/noctua-presents-cpu-coolers-for-amd-s-ryzen-threadripper-x399-and-epyc-platforms

Hi,

here's my updated build:

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB, SATA (MZ-76E500B)

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X, 16x 3.50GHz, boxed ohne Kühler (YD295XA8AFWOF)

64GB HyperX Predator DDR4-3000 DIMM CL15 Quad Kit

8GB MSI GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 (Retail)

ASRock X399 Taichi AMD X399 So.TR4 Quad Channel DDR4 ATX Retail

Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 Tower Kühler

EVGA GQ Serie 750 GQ 750W ATX 2.3 (210-GQ-0750-V2)

Anything that is unbalanced or need changes?

My 2950W system can sometimes pull over 650W from the wall. I'm no expert on this, but more experienced PC builders always tell me to get a more powerful PSU, at least 30-40% more powerful than what I will need. Now whether this is true or not, I cant say for sure and perhaps the 750W one you picked might be just fine. For my system I got a 1200W one just to be safe ... I figured, spending an extra 60-70 euros on a 3k euros system wouldn't break the bank.

• 3 weeks later...