Value of ASAI

Tim Nelson

Hey Tim,

I just looked at them the other day.. I am thinking the same thing. The one item that I am looking for is Health Insurance. They offer it but seems really high..

I would be interested as well if others have any other info.

Mike

I am a memeber of the ASAI and the SAI (UK). The reason I joined the ASAI was simply to be eligable for one of their competions. It's commercially run...if you pay your money, your in !

But the SAI in the UK has more value in my opinion, because you only get in on merit (we have standards you know ! :)) There is a Comittee of 13 who look at a few samples of each applicant's work and come to a majority decision whether they become members or not. With the SAI it's more about the kudos of being a member rather that what you receive from it. I go to meetings twice a year, which is always good to spend time with like minded folk.

i second dibbers

i waited a 2-3 years until i felt i had a good spread of real work to submit and it covered all the bases - external, internal, photoreal, npr,

of course sai don't cover video but thats a small point

benefits

increase the length.......................of your name

it does bring in enquries and work from them

become legit with a recognised body behind you instead of a fly by night who works smoke and mirrors

I've been a member of the ASAI for 6 years now, and overall I've been happy, but the last couple of years are making me question it. In terms of the health insurance provided, there are many other, better options - almost anyone can get into a larger group plan somewhere else. One option I've looked at is the NASE - fortunately I have my own coverage (through my wife's company), but it's always good to have a fallback.

Back to the ASAI proper - I originally joined to increase my exposure. At that time, it allowed me to have a presence on the Web, and I had a reasonable chance of having an image published in the AIP Catalogues. Fast forward to 2002 and I have my own web site and the AIP books stopped being published. I won an Award of Excellence in the AIP 18 competition, but it never saw the light of day without the book - on top of that, my exhibit piece for the show has been sitting in storage somewhere for over 2 years now. I spent well over $500 participating in AIP 18, and frankly have nothing to show for it. And anyone who has seen the AIP 19 "book" knows what a deep disappointment that has been. Priced the same as the beautiful, hard-bound editions from past years, the AIP 19 is more like a pamphlet stapled together - it doesn't even have a member directory!

My recommendation would be to hold off and see if AIP 20 goes any better. IMO, the ASAI is on life support right now. Other organizations to consider would be the NYSR (it's not just for New York), and the Graphic Artists Guild. The NYSR publishes a member portfolio every four years (the next one will be later this month, sorry) that is run on a pay-per-page basis, as opposed to a competitive or merit basis. In terms of exposure, I've gotten more work via referrals and web hits from the NYSR than the ASAP/ASAI (which is zero BTW). The GAG has a lot of good info on ethical & pricing guidelines, standard contracts, etc. that are a great help to someone starting out.

I hope that's helpful to you. I would love to hear as well from other ASAI members - I know there is an undercurrent of frustration in the group right now. Also, is the SAI limited to UK residents? Is there any benefit to non-UK'ers?

Insurance?

I forget the actual name but the Assosciation for or of the Self employed had some decent packages avialable 5 yeas ago. The NFIB has some decent packages also, if I'm not mistaken & reasonable memebership rates with lots of pull on capital hill looking out for independant business (not a personal political statement, just percieved fact)

Option #2 have wife get government job with killer insurance;). The employee contributions increased 30% this year too

WDA

This one is still in development.

Then take it out

I need to have something that I can easily watermark onto my renderings.

With a strong outline, Sputnik will do just fine.

And yes, the NYSR would take you, should you choose to join. As far as insurance, you're most of the way there already--you're married. Put that wife to work!

Then take it out

Wow is it really that bad!!!?? A friend developed it for me and I actually like it. What I like about it is that is both the logo & comany name all in one and it has a good shape to it - square. But I do like the old one too because it was my original idea & is fun, even though it really means nothing. My original intent for it though, was to be a mascot/branding object. I was even working on an animation of it last year. I wanted to use this as the flash screen for my website. Here are a couple different variations I worked on.

http://www.urbanillustration.com/anim/loop.avi

http://www.urbanillustration.com/anim/falling.avi

But seriously, if the new logo is not good, & everyone likes the sputnik better, I will probably keep it and work on it some more.

Put that wife to work!

4 More months of school left! Even then she may not get the type of job that has benefits, since she is going to be an aesthetician (skin type stuff). But supposedly the money can be pretty good.

Wow is it really that bad!!!??

Yes. It looked like one of those bland logos that flash by at the end of every lame show on television. I will resist a proper trashing of it out of respect for your friend who thought it up. But yes, bad.

I do like the old one too because it was my original idea & is fun, even though it really means nothing. My original intent for it though, was to be a mascot/branding object.

Perfect, done. Leave it alone, you got it right.

I was even working on an animation of it last year.

Now stop that.

How about something simple and fun: Have a little glow of highlight blinking around it, maybe some little lightning bolts zapping from the anten...however you spell that...but in a static view like the avatar.

Sorry to interrupt the Timmatron Logo thread ; )

(I like them both, but anyway...) but what I was very curious to know, from here across the pond, is what kind of sums you guys are talking about when it comes to health insurance in the US. Say if you're mid forties, self- employed with a kid or 2 ? (Like me !)

We can get it free here in the UK, dental and optical aside, though the waiting times can be longer if you don't go private. Of course, the flip side is we don't get the cheaper housing costs or 'gas' ( or for that matter hardware and software ) that you do, so perhaps it all balances out in the end.

But what happens if you have a serious illness like cancer, do you have to pay higher premiums afterwards if you survive it ?

What happens if you lose your job, or have a really tough year? Can you/ do you insure your insurance? Just curious really - joining a professional society for the health cover seems quite alien to our culture here.

As Dibbers says, all are welcome to apply to join the SAI.

Cheers,

D. (FSAI)

Danny,

I used to work for BOC, British Oxygen Corporation. I was US based but used to look at the bennefits in the UK for similar positions as in the US. It was simple, UK salaries were just a tab lower. Bennefits in the UK were a lot higher. At the end, UK guys had a better compensation package. The holidays was the thing that really impressed me.... some of our UK guys were getting 8 weeks a year......! Our US guys were getting two weeks. You had to be in the company over 6 years to get 3 weeks. The top after 20 years was 4 weeks. I know that cost of living in the UK could be a little bit higher depending on location... In the last several year all that has changed since there is a higher un-employment in the US. I left BOC 6 years ago.

Health insurance is another sensitive subject.... Here our family of 7 is $1,590.00 per month. Out of every 10 claims submitted for payment we have to fight back on 9 or we end up paying from our own money. It is simply horrible in the US. I work in healthcare, my brother is a very specialized physician. He is making now less money that he was doing 5 years ago and has to work twice as much. He is seriously thinking about leaving the medical field.

Everybody in the US critizes the Canadian system. I go to Canada quite a lot and we have employees there. Their system is better. People complain about the waiting times in Canada..... In the urban areas of the US the waiting times are as much or more as Canada and on top of that you have to pay. Our Canadian friends complain about the elective procedures not being really taken care the way it should be... Here in the US, if you pay for it they will take care of you and your money. Another complain in Canada is long term terminal issues are being ignored. I have seen several people with Cancer and they are being taken care off just like in the US. The Hospitals being built in Canada are not as flashy as in the US. However, they are better built to last longer and with better technologies. The OR and ICU's I am seeing in Canada are better than in the US.

Medicines is the biggest white criminal area in the US..... A jar of penicillin for 10 days in the US is about 120.00 plus the prescription from the doctor another $60.00 to $80.00. In Mexico it is over the counter, no prescription, same drug manufacturer and it is $25.00 USD.

A average hospital stretcher in the US is between $3,500.00 to $15,000.00. An anesthesia machine in the US is $125,000.00. A ventilator for ICU is $30,000.00 An "O" ring for a gas system in the anesthesia machine is about $1.25. The "O" ring is the same one you get in the hardware store for $0.10 cents. An electric hospital bed with the typical goodies is about $4,500.00. The same bed in Canada is $1,800.00. By the way the Canadian bed manufacturer was purchased by a US company in order to "better serve" the market needs. They have the same bed on which they remove the motors and place three hand cranks and it is being sold in Latin America and Canada for $800.00. Just look at the highest paid executives in the US. After the computer guys it is the Healthcare executives. We have in America something called "lobbying".

I have been in the hospital construction for 24 years. It is just sick.... An 80 bed hospital with the typical ancillary services runs for about 40 to 60 million dollars. From construction to finish time, the hospital will be obsolete at the time of inauguration.... Healthcare technology is being artificially obsoleted every 4 years by the manufacturers. Just almost like the computers....

Something is bound to happen with healthcare in the US. When I was a joung kid everybody wanted to go to medical school. Now some of the medical schools can not fill their seats.... Same as nursing..... Of course life expectancy has increased..... but it has become too costly.... especially in the US because the throw away mentality versus the European re-sterilization practices.

Hot issue.....

Elliot

PD:

The biggest issue in healthcare is delivering care for the general population at a reasonable cost. That has become a critical issue in the US. Very rapidly.... healthcare is changing to a modality only to be afforded by smaller sector of the population. I am being asked all the time by the administrators and clinicians to try to reduce cost at whatever expense. Dangerous trend....!

Hi Elliot,

Thanks for your in-depth reply. Sounds like a bit of a nightmare!

We here in UK are very proud and defensive about our National Health Service, warts and all. Various governments have been chipping away at it for many years now, and have attempted to privatise more and more parts of it, but the basic concept of free health care at the point of use still remains, thank goodness. There are the occasional horror stories of people waiting too long for help, and even dying as a result, but things have improved lately on that score.( Personally, I have received very prompt, free, and expert help in hospital with a recent kidney stone incident, so I can't complain at all.)

$1590.00 sounds like a heck of a lot of money to find each month! That's like £900, or £8400 per year!! And you can't stop paying it, or what, do they take away your house if you fall ill?

Still, at least you avoid what happened to this guy, who now has an $80,000 medical bill. :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4179877.stm

Cheers,

Danny.

Danny,

It is a real nightmare. They don't know what to do with the run away costs. I blame the whole problem to greed by the all the people on the loop, Insurance Companies, Hospital Owners, Pharmaceutical Companies, Medical Equipment Manufacturers and Construction Companies.

I think you will not die in the US because of lack of medical treatment of any conditions. However, you will die of the hear attack caused by the bills. I know of a person that has gone Cancer treatment at a very well know cancer hospital in Texas. The invoices are in the $300,000.00. The worst part is that the cancer stage is very advance stage.

I try not to think of these issues. Everybody has to remain positive.... He he he Like the guy with the nail.... he didn't feel the pain as nail pierced through his jaw.... Incredible......

Thanks

Elliot