3ds max file linker question

skippy

Hey bosses !

I use archicad (8.1) to making model and then export it in dwg format and then i use 3dsmax (7.0) file linker and link this dwg in to my scene. Then I put materials in to my scene etc. My problem is, if I make some upgrade in archicad and export my model again in dwg format and upgrade this file in file link manager then my preavious materials are messed up. Maybe someone can tell me some option or something how to fix this problem. This file linking is good thing but if you upgrade your dwg file then is so bad to start putting materials again. Waiting your replays.... tnks...

skippy,

i am also a big fan of file link. i use file link with formz. so far i have only had one problem where my materials did not act correctly when i reloaded the dwg file. typically the stay assigned properly, and the uvw maps stay intact properly.

how is your workflow structured? i will say that you really need to be diligent about keeping things either the proper color or on the proper layer. i have my workflow set up to work via layers. each surface or material in a scene is on its own layer when i am working in formz. i then export, organizing the dwg file layer also. then i link into max. each layer in the file i exported from formz acts like an object in max, as well as being on its own layer in max. i select the object, and assign my material to it, and any uvw map it needs.

when ever i change the model in formz, i export the dwg again, and it loads perfectly. if i cgange a layer name, the material information is lost, and the layer imports red. or if i add a new layer, it imports red also. otherwise, everything is fine.

not sure if any of that helps.

Hey bosses !

I use archicad (8.1) to making model and then export it in dwg format and then i use 3dsmax (7.0) file linker and link this dwg in to my scene. Then I put materials in to my scene etc. My problem is, if I make some upgrade in archicad and export my model again in dwg format and upgrade this file in file link manager then my preavious materials are messed up. Maybe someone can tell me some option or something how to fix this problem. This file linking is good thing but if you upgrade your dwg file then is so bad to start putting materials again. Waiting your replays.... tnks...

As per my knowledge and experience file linking in Max always create problems other than native formats from AutoCAD or ADT though you convert as dwg.

Out of the topic, Cinema 4D Version 9.0 has plugin to keep the materials intact from ArchiCAD. I heard it is working well with file link and update....

The problem lies in how you're combining your Linked file. If you're combining by Entities, those will not exist anymore when you re-export from Archicad because it will be an entirely new DWG, so your materials will go wonky.

If you combine by layer, color, then the materials should be preserved because those should not change.

If you're using newer versions, I'm unclear onto what would do if you combine by Block Hierarchy because I wouldn't know what Archicad is doing to the blocks.

The best way to understand what's happening is to figure out what's going out of sync - if layers, colors, etc. Then you can walk back to the source and find a better workflow that suits you.

Hope it helps,

Alexander