Which Size of Wacom Tablet??

Hi guys!

I recently got interested in Corel Painter again and I am now looking to buy a graphic tablet. I am narrow it down to Wacom Intuos 3 Tablet, but I am torn between which size I should purchase. I have tried 9x12 (A4 size drawing area) and it is HUGE and kinda cubersome... so I an now torn between 4x5 (A6) and 6x8 (A5 size). I have read many forums, and it just seems the camp is divided evenly between those 2 size... I like 6x8's drawing area but it's kinda large, and some ppl say you get wrist strain using it larger than palm of your hand. 4x5 seems ergonomical and just the right size on my table, but the drawing area seem slightly smaller than I would prefer... sigh... I don't know which one to choose!.. any suggestions?

6 x 8

I bought my son a 4 x 5 and I notice he still draws mostly with the mouse. You can always define a smaller area of the tablet to map the screen, if you want.

One nice thing for me is that I'm left-handed, but mouse righty like everybody else. The tablet is on th left of the keyboard and the mouse on the right. When I want to draw I grab the 'pen', can still use menus etc. with the mouse.

6 x 8

I think we all tend to swear by what we have become accustomed to and can't imagine that another size, particularly a smaller size, would suffice.

I have a 21" screen and a 4x5 tablet and I have never fealt that that isn't enough.

You are only making strokes on the tablet that will transfer to some small area on the screen. It's not like you are using the tablet to draw out the image in full.

I zoom in and out if I need to and I'm sure that goes for the 6x8 as well.

My 2 cents.

• Administrators

I have a 9x12 at home and it's way too big I think. It's an Intuos and becuase it's so big it sits really close to my monitors and is affected by the monitors somehow. the cursor jumps arounds. I have a 4x5 at work and I like it much better. Of course the big decision is whether or not you need to make big strokes and 1:1 pen to screen motions. Then maybe a 9x12 is what you would want.

I depends on how you plan on using the tablet. Larger tablets (we use 12 x12 wacoms) let you get your shoulder and elbow into the drawing, which I think allows for a little more expression. Smaller tablets seem to constrict your movement to mostly wrist "scratching". If you plan on doing a lot of freehand drawing go with the biggest you can fit on your desk.

Larger tablets (we use 12 x12 wacoms) let you get your shoulder and elbow into the drawing

In the early days (CG pre-history) I used a 12 x 12 Summa. But then the tablets were for digitizing in drawings more than freehabd drawing. I like the suggestion of drawing bigger. But the smaller tablet fits the work area better than the huge one did. Speaking of which, remember that a 4x5 inch Wacom really measures a little over 8" square.

Now, you must be a man of considerable means, Richard, so I would suggest you instead get one of Wacom's larger 'monitor' tablets. Now those are nice!

I have been using a 9x12 since the invention of tablets for everything, and never had any problems with it. 3 Years ago I bought a 6x8 for my laptop and use it since for all my work: the area is more then enough. The 9x12 is attached to a double monitor workstation for video work which also works like a charm. In the end you can get used to whatever setup you like...

hi There

the Principals of the company sketch on 11x17

we scan in at 11x17 full size into FotoChop etc

does a less than 1 to 1 (smaller than 11x17)

still work as well ?? as a Full Size Tablet, or

can the smaller area Tablets handle a 11x17 Image

??

trying to get the People to spring for a Tablet someTime soon

i end up doing as much FotoChop as VIZ and 3d Cad

recently got Piranesi and soon Sketchup 4.0 etc etc

Thanks

Randy

does a less than 1 to 1 (smaller than 11x17)still work as well ?? as a Full Size Tablet, or

can the smaller area Tablets handle a 11x17 Image

Handle it how? If you have a sketch then you can scan it. No need to 'trace' it in. Do you mean to digitize a sketch into CAD? You would load the image in as a bitmap, scale to size. Which is, I'm sure, what you are doing now.

With a tablet you could draw an area of a sketch, move it, draw the next... Or have I misunderstood the question?

One more thing that has been bothering me about your profile. Its 'Arizona, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Universe' The bonus question is 'what comes next?'

Hi,

Definately an A4 I'd say. Major benefit is about the same scale on screen (19-22") and on the tablet. So no tricky mind conversions necessary... also.. it's better to use the whole arm... no scratching...

Personally, I'd go larger for painting-only (A3) because of the more impressive strokes and arm-moves, but an A4 fits better on the desk with a keyboard above it...

I've been using an intuos2 for 2.5years (about 12-16 hours aday) and an intuos3 for the last couple of months (since the first week it was released)... Yet, I prefer the intuos2 (The buttons keep bothering me and is no match for the keyboard on top of the tablet!)

rgds

nisus

I use a 6x8 at work, a 4x5 at home. I prefer the 6x8, but it's more of a hassle to move around and takes up a lot more space than the 4x5. Keep that in mind as you select a model. If desk space is at a premium or you'll be taking with you on the road - go for no larger than a 6x8.

G'day Mate!

I have ordered the Wacom Intuos 3 - 6"x8" after I went into a CAMERA SHOP and found their price is a staggering $150 cheaper than EVERY computer shops I been to. So now I am just waiting patiently for my tablet to come in ;)

On the other hand, I am now looking for programs that goes with my tablet. I think the tablet itself comes with Painter Classic. But I am wondering if there are other programs that go great with the tablet. Anyone got any ideas?

So far I have gather the list of program that goes great with Tablet :

Adobe Suites (Photoshop, Illustrator..etc)

Macromedia stuff...

Painter (ofcourse)

Righthemisphere Deep Paint / 3D

Alias Sketchbook (might be too expensive)

Autodesk Architectural Studio (discontinued :()

ArtRage (freeware program)

Now, in my relentless search... I found this gem :

CreatureHouse Expression 3

Essentially just like Adobe Illustrator, but with Painter-eque quality.

Vectorised Paint program. Now it's FREE! (Thanks to Bill Gate)

http://www.microsoft.com/products/expression/

Amazing that Expression is now a freeware due to the merger with Microsoft.

Go download it before Mr. Bill Gate change his mind ;)

Hi Richard,

About every program will benefit from using an intuos, even explorer or max...

Expression for free??? I can hardly beleive it!!! I've read articles about it in the past (computer magazine) and i's supposed to be great... downloading at the moment!!

rgds

nisus

• 4 weeks later...

After a month of waiting, I finally got my tablet !!

Now I kinda regret purchasing 6x8 haha, seems like a lot of flicking around the screen for menu and tools, it's making my arm sore......but I think I will grow into it.

Painter works nicely with it, but Microsoft EXPRESSION work marvelously!

It fully supports the pressure sensitivity and also zoom.