Pop up blocking

mbr

I just reinstalled W2K and am having problems with blocked popups (not all, just some, like the upload utility).

What I've tried:

Norton scans

Spy Bot scans

Various IE security settings (which I assume that I just don't know what to add/delete to set it correctly)

Upload Utility:

It opens the first, large, popup, then BLIPS, and says popup was blocked on the bottom of the browser window.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Ok, must not have been clear :-/

The problem is that the pop ups ARE blocked, not that I want to block them.

I have not installed anything new, and I've tried the Spy Bot and it didn't find anything.

So something is stopping the popups and I have no idea what it is.

Any ideas? I'd really like to be able to upload images again ;)!

Thanks

Alexander and Crazy - many thanks!

There was:

Yahoo Companion (the nasty culprit here - that's what I get for updating the IM!)

Norton Antivirus

Within YC there is a popup blocker. Those sneaky punks!! I like yahoo, but I can't stand ANY company that assumes that's what you want without asking.

Cheers.

Hey there Markus.

Hope you're doing well. I am finally leaving Gainesville...!!

I've been using Mozilla for the last 1.5 months and it's great. I was a die-hard IE user until I started using Mozilla. IT has built-in pop-up blocker, tabbed browsing, advanced search features (page search as well). Also I believe it is a more secure / stable browser...but that

s just my opionion. Also I've been using the smoke theme which is very minimal and clean. I'd say give it a try and see if you like it.

peace

I should. IE has cause me to reinstall W2K twice now. That has been a pain.

So where are you moving to? I have finally relocated to Denver and like it so far. Although I'd have to admit that I had the best time in Gainesville out of anywhere I've been.

Good luck with the move (I know how they suck - I've moved every year for about 12 years!) and hope all is well with you, too.

mbr,

If your constantly reinstalling win2k, you might want to consider investing in a program like norton ghost.

After your system is setup the way you want (with the apps you want, settings you want, and updated/optimzed) you ghost the system.

Anything goes wrong, you just restore the ghost. Va la, instant perfect system in about 20 minutes or less.

Works fantastically if you use an external HD as backup, or a dvdburner.

why do u use norton av?

ain't no good!

bought kaspersky

found 5 virus (not active virus just sleepin in rar & ace files)

norton never saw!

and norton is so shity when upgrading... don't wantin to remove fully

really u should switch to another av

(sorry i my post isn' really connected to thread....)

You should always double on AV progs. Either use a retail scanner WITH a free online scanner, or come up with some secondary system.

Almost all scanners will miss viruses. Why? Sometimes the scanners themselves get infected. I usually start out with AV for general protection, and follow up with mcafee's free stinger app, and a panda online scanner if I feel a system may be infected.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

There are three free scanners which can serve as secondary backups to your primary scanner software.

As for NAV missing archived viruses...you have to "enable scan within compressed files" for norton to do so. Otherwise it'll only catch the virus when you go to unrar it, not when its sitting dormant.

(You also have to set the depth of the compression scan...obviously its either off, or set to 1-2 deep for faster scans)