Spooky Mouse

Hi all,

very strange, should I say spooky situation.

After I shut down my PC, mouse (Microsoft Optical Mouse)still glows. The way I fix this is I take a cable off the PC and back On and light only then goes off. Is my mouse sick? :D

Regards Sergio!

With newer computers there is a wake up voltage delievered across the USB chain to devices attached to it.

This is so you can design the computer to wake up from a USB device, if you want to. (Like a USB ethernet card or what not). This function is by design.

You can disable this feature by checking your motherboard manual, and setting the USB wakeup voltage to the disabled setting.

If you don't have the manual, find out the make of your motherboard, and seach the manufacturers site, it should be available as a download (pdf).

Hi Greg,

useful and with good ideas as always! Thanx! ;)

There is a small problem, I was thinking in simular direction, and disconnected mouse from USB port and now I am using mouse adapter and is connected next to the kayboard in non USB port. Is there any other solution?

The bottom line is: Is constant power to the mouse shortening its life-span? I am affraid it is orangecry

Regards Sergio!

You have to disable it at the motherboard level. Either by Jumper, or through bios modifications. Your method will work fine as a bypass, but the only way to really stop it is through hardware.

I doubt the tiny amount of wattage going to the optical mouse is going to reduce its lifespan any. Its less then 5 volts.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking in the bios and on the motherboard and I could not find anything to disable mouse light after shutdown.

Its usually under the "Power Management" section of the bios. Your basically looking for

"USB Wakeup" or "USB2 Wakeup" or anything dealing with USB or the IRQ's assigned to USB in that section (just power management).

On the motherboard, its usually a USB +5v jumper. Varies from board to board. I don't have time to download your manual and check it myself, but maybe later.

Hi Gnarly Cranium, you are right, that remainds me on the little lights in car ignition, whitch light up when you enter the car at nigh, whitch is designed for drank drivers to be able to put the kay in ignition :D

Hi Greg, I was looking in the bios and on the motherboard and I could not find anything to disable mouse light after shutdown. BTW I got Gigabite motherboard GA-7VAX if that means something.

Regards Sergio!

Sergio,

The wakeup is also for other devices. If its connected to the PS2 ports, you'd have to disable the wakeup calls for that as well.

Its basically just delievering standby voltage to anything that has wakeup setup.

Either that, or its completely possessed. Leave it a sacrifice and the mouse will probably go back to sleep.