Viz 4____Microsoft XP Service Pack 2 Issues

System

Dell Workstation Dual 3.6GB (Xeon)

3.00 GB Ram

Software Problem Viz 4

All Viz 4 Updates installed

OK, This is for the recent post I made asking about any issues with viz 4 and microsoft XP. What we did was completely reformate the harddrive. Yes we did try to uninstall and reinstall Viz 4. Problem still occurs! After reformat we installed Windows XP (Not Pro---Which comes with Service Pack 2 and updated). After installing XP we then installed viz 4. Guess what it all worked. Everything works great this way even the netrender issues were resolved.

To move forward we decided to install the updates for XP that now come with XP pro. We decided to wait to install SP 2 last. Well after all the updates about 23 of them total we found that the netrender no longer works. Everthing else works great so far. Remember we have not updated SP2 yet.

We are going to remove all the updates and go through them one at a time to try and ditermine which one is the cause.

If anyone knows off hand please let me know. (I would really be suprised if anyone has gone much in depth on this, but I might get suprised)

After we finish I am going to post a step by step process of what we did to resolve this issue. After haveing constant problems over the past year and to find out that most everyone has had similar problems. I am very frustrated and irritated at Microsoft and Autodesk. So I want to try to help anyone in the future avoid this problem or resolve this issue. As professionals we have alot going on and time is money it always sucks when we have to become beta testers...

Thanks All

Superdave

Hi David,

XP SP2 introduces a Firewall. For Network Rendering to work you need to grant access to Manager, Server and for 3dsmax in the firewall. If you do not do so, you won't be able to netrender. I have been using it here since SP2 was Beta, and never had a problem.

Also, you should go do support.discreet.com and download a patch for VIZ 4 in SP2 - this will fix the problems you would have with Region Net Render and other scripts.

Hope it helps,

Alexander