Video Card Question

I am familiar with video cards that support two monitors, where there are two standard monitor plugs on the graphics card.

Question is this:

My video card has a TV out as Secondary option. Does this mean that if I get the proper cables, I can connect another monitor to my video card using this port? I am trying to figure it out, as we have an extra monitor in the office, and I would really love to have a dual setup.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

well its hard to determine since I don't know what type of video card it is, my assumption is what will be produced on the screen would be the same as you see on your main monitor, so most likely its not ment for dual set up. So unless you want to test animation on NTSC/PAL colours with a TV, I doubt it will suit your needs.

I would also think that if you were somehow able to get it to connect to a computer monitor, it would only be sending out a signal at the resolution suitable to televisions. I believe that's only like 720x486 or something of the sort.

If you really want dual monitors (which I highly suggest), why not try to pick up a cheap card that offers dual? Or, isn't there a way to have 2 video cards with the cheap one pushing the second monitor?

Thanks guys,

I will probably end up buying a good dual monitor card and making the swap, i just wondered if it would work. After further review, the card has a receptor on the back, for what I am not sure. it is a white receptor, similar to the ones for the regular monitor plug, but the pin setup is different.

can you take a picture of the back of the card, and post it? ...or post a link to the video crd you have.

Here is the photo of the video card, I think Chad is right about the DVI input, so maybe I can get a flat panel, that would be even better.

in any case, you should be able to plug an adapter into it and connect a standard monitor to it. not sure if it will push duals, but you can in fact (with an adapter) plug a standard CRT monitor into that port.

yep. that was how my old video card was, and i was running to monitors off of it with an adapter.

right now i am using nVidia Quadro NVS card that has one monitor plug coming out, that has a cable plugged into its only out port, but the cable splits into 2 so that i can run 2 monitors off of the single port. i imagine that option is built into the video card, and that you can not simply by one of these splitters, and plug 2 monitors in, but i don't know.

i run windows xp using classic windows interface, rather than using the 'xp' skin that microsoft created (easy way to make the operating system look new), and i run my second monitor at 16 bit color resolution instead of 32. i beleive both of these help take some of the pressure off of my video card.

CHG,

so you think that a second monitor hooked up to the DVI output, will work?

I will have to try, and will post back after I have tried it out.

basically you are going to buy a plug that looks like this...

http://www.futurepowerpc.com/scripts/details.asp?PRDCODE=VCPO-DVITOCRT

...although i would guess that $10 is to much for this little thing, that is all there is to it. it is simply rerouting the pins to the correct place for the crt monitor. i was running an nvidia geForce (not sure what series, but i think maybe 4) when i was doing this. after hooking up the second monotior, i think i needed the nvdia driver to understand what was going on. ...or maybe it was i needed to be runnign win xp. anyway, it worked fine, but...

if memory serves, the color was slightly different between the 2 montiors, and i never managed to get them identical.

although i only used my eye to try and match them up. if you had a callibration contraption, you may be able to get them identicle. my 2 montiors are identicle, so the problem was in the video card.

well, a small adapter did the trick. it is running both monitors, seems like it is not killing anything. The older monitor is a very different color, even after lots of adjustment. But I may end up with one exactly like the one i have. But it worked, thanks to all of those who helped out.