Need some Support, please - 2 WIPs

Rob@Driverz

Hello everybody!

I'm new in this forum and i like alle your professional works :cool:

I'm at the beginning and i think it would be great to get some support and maybe some good hints, how I should improve my renderings.

I'll post two of my projects... the first is a rendering of the IKEA in Salzburg, Austria. I took digital photos and tried to render the szene as real as possible.

My problem is that i got so much polys that my computer looks acts like in slomotion ;)

I would be so thankfull for getting some hints... is the lightning ok? are there some things i should add to the scene? how do you think is the overall apearence? realistic? this day was a cloudy sunday in january...

The second image is one of my first interior scenes - i wanted to make good modelling, but now i do not know, how to lighten the scene correctly. I tried a lot of different light and render settings... but i am not satisfied. here is one image rendered with mental ray.

I would be so glad to get some hints... would help me to improve my renderings.

Thanks to a great forum!!

Best regards,

Robert

Hi Robert

Welcome to CGA.

Your exterior looks pretty good in that the lighting matches the backdrop but what a terrible backdrop!

Those IKEA storefronts need to be sunny and bright to look anything but drab.

As for the interior, I don't use Mental Ray but it needs some direct light coming in the window and GI to bounce the light around. Some of the modelling (door handles etc) looks a bit clumsy but generally it has good detail and texturing.

Great start on both-don't take any offence at my suggestions :)

Thanks a lot for your comment!

The thing is, that i took the photos on this cloudy sunday, and i wanted to render the feeling i got when i stood there looking at IKEA. But you are right, it looks much better with at a sunny day... i will give it a chance and will try to get a brighty sunny day feeling. I liked the fact that it's not a "perfect" day and rendering.

I already took a test render with lights how you suggested... and it was a step in the right direction! thanks!! i will refine it and wait for my rendering to be completed, if i am happy with it... i will post it again.

thanks!!

Robert

edit: i just saw your indoor scene 'Contemporary Interior' on your homepage... lots of great work there ;)

do you remember how you set the light in this scene? i can see the four big windows... do i have to set one light per window? or do i place one light with a little distance to shine through all four windows? free direct lights?

would be glad to get some of these questions answered ;)

That interior you mention was lit with a large Area Light over the glazed area (just inside the room) and one under the floor (pointing up) where the sunlight is falling. Neither cast shadows.

Wide angled Spot for the sun with raytraced shadows, very low radiosity settings and that's it.

@maxer: ok, i will think about a sunny version ;)

@ic: thanks for that hint - i think that brought me a good step forward ... it's a long way to be 'perfect' - but i could improve lightning now and i will go forward.

i am now going to change the materials to mental ray materials ... at the moment only the glass objects are MR mats.

But i still have a little problem with shadows... as far as i understood the only light which casts shadows is the sun, right? i made a spotlight far away, but it casts no shadows inside my room - i used raytrace shadows.

maybe i did something wrong... in the image i attached i used a small value of raytracing shadow for the lights at the windows... they cast the shadow behind the tv and so on... is that right?

- robert

Your exterior looks pretty good in that the lighting matches the backdrop but what a terrible backdrop!

no doubt about it...try making your backdrop a little more realistic. like adding a touch of motion and a little more depth to it. :rolleyes:

I think i am convinced now, to make a sunny ikea scene as soon as possible ;)

I want to attach my latest rendering, took me 12 hours @1600x1200 pixel.

I think i have to fine-tune my render settings :D

I know there are a few details missing, like better handles and some more little detail-objects. but what about the lightning?

I am a bit unhappy about the brightness in the room - i think it is too dark for a midday scene? there are 4 lights at the windows, one each. and another four lights where the sun-spot light get in contact with the floor.

that helper lights got multipliers of about 0.15 to 0.20 each.

I noticed, that most indoor scenes have lots more brightness and less saturdation. may this be photoshop retouch, or is there a possibilty to get these effects with rendering?

I think i need a little more realism in my scene and i will be happy for this moment ;)

greetings, Robert