Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here have Argo's/Vertex BD experience?

Name
    Super Dave Osborne
    Forum Username
    MegaPixel

United_States

Default Anyone here have Argo's/Vertex BD experience?

I was wondering if anyone here has hands on experience with/or has seen Argo's or Vertex BD products in action? They are fairly specialized Architectural Design programs which I will be required to learn very quickly if I accept a particular job offer.

I'm just looking for thoughts about the products, comparisons to other industry Arch. modelers, ease of use, portability to MAX/VIZ, etc...

Thanks for your time - MegaPixel

Name
    Aaron Nordstrom
    Forum Username
    Aaron2004

United_States

Default Re: Anyone here have Argo's/Vertex BD experience?

Yeah, I have some experience...my school teaches it, plus I interned for a summer at a Vertex Consulting Business. I think people people feel differently about it. For me, I feel that it is a very VERY powerful program, but the learning curve is kind of high. When you say you plan to learn it 'quickly'...I don't know how much of it you plan to learn. I'm afraid that it might be kind of like saying you hope to learn 3D Studio 'quickly'...there are so many different aspects that to learn them ALL it would take a bit of time.

Here is the section of my portfolio dedicated to it:

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~anordstr/vertex/vertex.htm

The 3D walkthroughs were made in Max. It exports to a 3DS file format very easily. The Vertices aren't welded on the objects, but i'm sure that there is a really easy script you can write to get them to. Also, the objects aren't named very well. They come in as #1, #2, #3....it would be nice if vertex would export them as door #1 or wall #1. But to answer your question, they do come into 3DS accurately.

I don't know what you can compare it too really...I guess Revit might be the closest, but there are a lot like it, it's just that Vertex is very customizeable and can do 'options', which are really big with production builders. If you know how to program, you will have a good time with Vertex. If you can't program, you can still use it of course, you just won't be able to do as many custom things as you may like.

A person that is fairly 'advanced' in it can make a quality 2500 sqft house (no options) plus the plan sets in about 1 to 1 1/2 days. Maybe less, maybe more. You know how those things go.

If you have any more questions about it direct, you can email me at anordstr@purdue.edu

You can also view the paper that my 2 professors wrote on Vertex here:

http://www.vertex.fi/english/product...nstructech.htm

Aaron

Name
    Super Dave Osborne
    Forum Username
    MegaPixel

United_States

Thanks for the reply Aaron.

It's interesting that you pointed me to the article by Mr. Bozell because he happens to be the president of this particular company I'm looking at, which is also just acrossed the river from Purdue. I couldn't help but notice that you spent some time at Purdue also?

I suppose I knew there wouldn't be a "quick" learn. I just wanted to hear from a few users since I havn't really heard much about Argos or Vertex here at CGarchitect. Thanks again for your input.

-Mega

Name
    Mark Bolin
    Forum Username
    Mark Bolin

United_States

The paper on Vertex BD makes it sound like all other software packages only allow you to draw in 2D. If you take the paper and replace "VertexBD" with "Revit", "Softplan", Chief Architect or most other packages on the market, it would hold true. Minus the optioning feature which only helps production builders who do plans in house, I've used several packages that can do everything that it sounds like Vertex BD does. I wish I could get my hands on it to test it out and see how it really compares to other packages.

Softplan, Chief Architect, Cadsoft Build/APDesign, and Architectural Desktop with VisionREZ I believe all do framing and material takeoffs.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark

Name
    Aaron Nordstrom
    Forum Username
    Aaron2004

United_States

Megapixel: Wow..didn't even notice that we lived in the same town. Yeah..drop me an email and I'll get you some more info. Small world, eh? anordstr@purdue.edu

Mark: I'm not familiar with a lot of other programs but Vertex. Although...yes, I agree with you that they probably do all the same things...just in different ways. It really does seem like Vertex is aimed towards production builders, and I think that's fine. It all depends on the person's needs.

Aaron

Name
    Mark Bolin
    Forum Username
    Mark Bolin

United_States

Aaron,

What's the price tag on VertexBD? I've requested and received addtional infomation from Argos and they still won't say what it cost. This leads me to believe that it is very expensive. Can you give me an idea of the price tag?

I wish they had a working demo.

Name
    Gerald Hightower
    Forum Username
    GeraldH

United_States

I'm using Vertex with the option and framing modules...$14,000.

Name
    Aaron Nordstrom
    Forum Username
    Aaron2004

United_States

Yeah...sorry it took so long for me to get back, I wanted to get an accurate quote from my professor and he said it was about 10-15,000.

Name
    Super Dave Osborne
    Forum Username
    MegaPixel

United_States

Not to offend, but I'm thinking with a price-tag like that, no wonder i havn't heard of Argos/Vertex much in the Industry. There's got to be something special or in particular that this package has to offer over other competetive packages like Revit, ADT, EaglePoint, Archicad, Arch-T,etc...? It looks like there is some programing flexability with Vertex to customize workflows, automation and such. Anything else?

Name
    Madhuri Wani
    Forum Username
    madhuriagresar

India

Yeh, we are a consultancy firm from india having experience in vertex BD and interested to work for the same....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information