Anyone here have Argo's/Vertex BD experience?

MegaPixel

I was wondering if anyone here has hands on experience with/or has seen Argo's or Vertex BD products in action? They are fairly specialized Architectural Design programs which I will be required to learn very quickly if I accept a particular job offer.

I'm just looking for thoughts about the products, comparisons to other industry Arch. modelers, ease of use, portability to MAX/VIZ, etc...

Thanks for your time - MegaPixel

Yeah, I have some experience...my school teaches it, plus I interned for a summer at a Vertex Consulting Business. I think people people feel differently about it. For me, I feel that it is a very VERY powerful program, but the learning curve is kind of high. When you say you plan to learn it 'quickly'...I don't know how much of it you plan to learn. I'm afraid that it might be kind of like saying you hope to learn 3D Studio 'quickly'...there are so many different aspects that to learn them ALL it would take a bit of time.

Here is the section of my portfolio dedicated to it:

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~anordstr/vertex/vertex.htm

The 3D walkthroughs were made in Max. It exports to a 3DS file format very easily. The Vertices aren't welded on the objects, but i'm sure that there is a really easy script you can write to get them to. Also, the objects aren't named very well. They come in as #1, #2, #3....it would be nice if vertex would export them as door #1 or wall #1. But to answer your question, they do come into 3DS accurately.

I don't know what you can compare it too really...I guess Revit might be the closest, but there are a lot like it, it's just that Vertex is very customizeable and can do 'options', which are really big with production builders. If you know how to program, you will have a good time with Vertex. If you can't program, you can still use it of course, you just won't be able to do as many custom things as you may like.

A person that is fairly 'advanced' in it can make a quality 2500 sqft house (no options) plus the plan sets in about 1 to 1 1/2 days. Maybe less, maybe more. You know how those things go.

If you have any more questions about it direct, you can email me at anordstr@purdue.edu

You can also view the paper that my 2 professors wrote on Vertex here:

http://www.vertex.fi/english/products/bd/constructech.htm

Aaron

Thanks for the reply Aaron.

It's interesting that you pointed me to the article by Mr. Bozell because he happens to be the president of this particular company I'm looking at, which is also just acrossed the river from Purdue. I couldn't help but notice that you spent some time at Purdue also?

I suppose I knew there wouldn't be a "quick" learn. I just wanted to hear from a few users since I havn't really heard much about Argos or Vertex here at CGarchitect. Thanks again for your input.

-Mega

The paper on Vertex BD makes it sound like all other software packages only allow you to draw in 2D. If you take the paper and replace "VertexBD" with "Revit", "Softplan", Chief Architect or most other packages on the market, it would hold true. Minus the optioning feature which only helps production builders who do plans in house, I've used several packages that can do everything that it sounds like Vertex BD does. I wish I could get my hands on it to test it out and see how it really compares to other packages.

Softplan, Chief Architect, Cadsoft Build/APDesign, and Architectural Desktop with VisionREZ I believe all do framing and material takeoffs.

Just my 2 cents.

Mark

Megapixel: Wow..didn't even notice that we lived in the same town. Yeah..drop me an email and I'll get you some more info. Small world, eh? anordstr@purdue.edu

Mark: I'm not familiar with a lot of other programs but Vertex. Although...yes, I agree with you that they probably do all the same things...just in different ways. It really does seem like Vertex is aimed towards production builders, and I think that's fine. It all depends on the person's needs.

Aaron

Not to offend, but I'm thinking with a price-tag like that, no wonder i havn't heard of Argos/Vertex much in the Industry. There's got to be something special or in particular that this package has to offer over other competetive packages like Revit, ADT, EaglePoint, Archicad, Arch-T,etc...? It looks like there is some programing flexability with Vertex to customize workflows, automation and such. Anything else?

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Candango,

Currently there is no structural Analysis in the Vertex Software. It can however read in BC Framer files and Keymark files. There is no Javelin exporter yet, but the company is currently involved in talks with I-Level to incorporate it soon.

Hope that Helps - Dave

That helps Dave, thank you

I just read Cadsoft Envisioneer (which I don't know much about, but seems that has similar modeling capabilities to Vertex) and iLevel Javelin have joined efforts to create an integrated AEC solution for homebuilding.

I'm just wondering if that would prevent Vertex from getting into the game

• 2 weeks later...

I had 2 and a bit years using this package. I used it in a steel framing manufacturing environment so we would model up the structure in "architectural mode" then get this checked by the client. We would then model all the steel frames. This program also plugged in to our roll-former to fabricate all the frames.

It was a fantastic program and i am pursuing work using it again. How ever if all you are doing is architectural work i would say a large section of the program would be going to waste. I would pursue a much cheaper option.

How ever if you do decide to choose Vetex and expand to Australia let me know

;)

How ever if all you are doing is architectural work i would say a large section of the program would be going to waste.

;)

Unless, however, you are involved in Residential Optioning, then you are working with one of the best Optioning Solutions available on the market which would make it worthwhile - Particularly for Production Builders;)

Unless, however, you are involved in Residential Optioning, then you are working with one of the best Optioning Solutions available on the market which would make it worthwhile - Particularly for Production Builders;)

in that case vertex hands down gimme a call if you ever need any contract work doing :)' lol