Your experience with inkjet printer

Guest hajer

Guest adrian_dav
Originally posted by hajer:

I’m thinking of buying an A3 inkjet Printer

ur recommendation is welcomed

two choices in the under-$1000-class:

epson1280 and canons9000. epson is coming out with a new A3 printer with archival inks in july.

i went with the s9000 which i bought for $419 and am very happy with it. read the review at:

s9000 review

i would have considered the epson2100 if it would have been out already:

epson2100 preview

best,

a

I'm a dork so I don't know what the A3/A1/B stuff equivilates too...but...

The Epson C80 is a FANTASTIC 8.5x11 printer.

The archival ink designation epson is the 2200P Stylus Photo. Its got a rediculous number of cartiages, going to be one of the best printers out there when it comes out.

I have an Epson 1270 (13x19)and its fantastic. Only problem I ever have is that it needs to be cleaned frequently, if its not under contant use. (Cleaning uses ink). Haven't seen anything match the quality however. Top notch across the board.

Guest hajer

Hi Greg

yeh ur right about EPSON but efter reading

some reviews I think CANON is caching up

with EPSON and it,s mutch cheaper.........

Guest adrian_dav
[quote]Originally posted by hajer: [b]Hi Greg yeh ur right about EPSON but efter reading some reviews I think CANON is caching up with EPSON and it,s mutch cheaper.........[/b][/quote]epson was the leader when it comes to A3 and superA3(13"x19") printers until the arrival of canon's s9000, no doubt. you will find many third-party inks and accessories for epson that make the epsons more versatile and cheaper to run. third party special purpose inks: [url="http://www.tssphoto.com/sp/dg/ink/index.html"]link[/url] a continous ink system fo the epson1270 that saves many $s: [url="http://www.tssphoto.com/sp/dg/cis/instructions/CIS-1270.html"]link[/url] not many thrid-party products are available for the canon s9000. it just came out a few weeks ago. the s9000 is 9 to 10 times faster than the 1270 from epson and is whisper-quiet. the print quality of the s9000 is at least as good as the 1270. epson's new A3 inkjet will certainly re-establish epson's leadership in the market. speeds are not as fast, but quality and features will be stunning. my advice would be: if you have to buy an A3 printer right now, get the canon S9000. if you can wait another month get the new epson 2200P. if you should be in europe or japan you can buy the new epson already since june 1st(it's called 2100 there). best, adrian [url="http://www.adriandavidson.com"]http://www.adriandavidson.com[/url]

I went with the Epson 1270 because its printers were sharper and more vibrant then the HP 1220C. It also printed faster and took up less space.

Did I mention it was cheaper too?

Heh.

If its color, I am biased towards epson. Print even low res stuff on their photopaper and its enough to make clients drool.

And if you print something at 300 dpi...its good enough to sell, comes out better then most low budget printers (like Ritz Camera, or Kinko's). Great for showing off design concepts, or using to get approval on a change or idea.

But like I said I'm biased :).

Guest hajer

Hi adrian

can u tell me what the diffrence btw the EPSON 2000P and EPSON 2200 and EPSON 1280

do u know of any review of thees model

thanks

Guest adrian_dav
Originally posted by hajer:

Hi adrian

can u tell me what the diffrence btw the EPSON 2000P and EPSON 2200 and EPSON 1280

do u know of any review of thees model

thanks

all three are A3(superA3) photo inkjets.

the 2000P is the only one that uses archival inks available today. your prints will last just as long as a photograph. it uses pigments instead of the common dye. the print quality is slightly lower than the 1280. slow and noisy.

link to review

----------------------------

the 1280/1290(different numbers for north america and europe) was replacing the 1270. this is the epson printer that provides the best print quality so far. it is slow and a bit noisy as well.

link to review

----------------------------

the 2200P is the newest epson printer which will go on sale july 1st in north america. the printer replaces the 2000P while having even higher print quality than the 1280/90. this printer will be the BEST A3 printer on the market. the 2200P prints with semi-archival inks at double the speed of the previous generation. epson printers used to have unified color cartdridges. you had to replace the ink cartdridge after the first color runs out, basically throwing ink away(black is seperate though). the 2200P uses seperate ink cartdridges for every color. the 2200P provides a wider color spectrum because it uses 6 colors plus black instead of 3 colors and black as the 2000P and the 1280.

the 2200P will be the most advanced A3 inkjet to date and would be my choice. the 2200P is the biggest advancement epson made over the last 3 years.

no review link. i provided the only link i had in a previews post.

---------------------------------------

the links i posted belong to a landscape photographer. photographers are much more picky when it comes to inkjets since they compare it more likely to photographs than to other printers.

have look at the following link showing scans of prints at 17x magnification. the print quality of the 1270 is basically the same as what the 1280 can deliver.

link to scans

all of them are much better than the epson1520 i had before though :)

link to epson 1520 scan

conclusion:

if you can wait 3 more weeks, do so and get the 2200P. it is the most exciting A3 printer in years together with the canon s9000. the canon s9000 and the epson 2200P serve different price segments. the canon is about $420 and the 2200P will be about $850. both are outstanding printers. the canon is a bit bulky and not as pretty as the 2200P, but the canon is faster and not as noisy and uses seperate ink catdridges for each color as well. it is the print that counts after all :).

Guest adrian_dav
Originally posted by Greg Hess:

But like I said I'm biased :).

you are biased with good reason. there was no way around epson until the canon s9000 arrived. epson did a good job improving the print heads as well. far less clogging than with the 1520/800 in the good old days. canon enables you to change the print head yourself, but the nozzles are now very unlikely clogg making it a feature we are unlikely to depend on.

epson, particularly with the 2200P, will remain the standard for photo inkjets.

I use the HP 1220 C, great for Super B 13 x 19 prints. have used it for almost 2 years now, only one paper jam. Being anxious with a client in the office, I loaded the paper too quickly [at an angle] and yammed it up.

If you are doing hi-res prints, couldn’t tell you the difference between Epson and HP. All I know is that my previous Epson was noisier than hell and always jammed and misprinted, needed head cleaning, etc… My co-worker in the office has an Epson. His is also noisy and has poor output compared to my printer. Maybe he doesn’t know how to use his printer, or maybe HP is just better.

IMHO, I wouldn’t recommend an Epson to anyone except to a fisherman looking for a boat anchor ;)

Guest adrian_dav
Originally posted by Paul Griger:

I use the HP 1220 C, great for Super B 13 x 19 prints. have used it for almost 2 years now, only one paper jam. Being anxious with a client in the office, I loaded the paper too quickly [at an angle] and yammed it up.

If you are doing hi-res prints, couldn’t tell you the difference between Epson and HP. All I know is that my previous Epson was noisier than hell and always jammed and misprinted, needed head cleaning, etc… My co-worker in the office has an Epson. His is also noisy and has poor output compared to my printer. Maybe he doesn’t know how to use his printer, or maybe HP is just better.

IMHO, I wouldn’t recommend an Epson to anyone except to a fisherman looking for a boat anchor ;)

the hp is a fine general purpose printer and shines when it comes to speedy BASIC photo printing and general office tasks. the speed is significant higher than current epsons and noise is lower.

i too have direct comparison between the current epson and hp A3 printers. i can clearly see the difference between an epson and a hp print. the hp has less saturated blacks, banding in monocrome areas and clearly shows ink dots without magnification.

the hp is a good printer, but for the best possible high resolution prints of your renderings not recommendable (under no circumstances!). you should stick to epson or the new canon s9000.

not even in my dream would i print a piece for my portfolio on the hp.

best,

adrian

http://www.adriandavidson.com

Guest hajer

Hi all

hey adrian thnx allot for the info and the links

Paul

I agree with u that HP is less problamtic whene

it comes to Printing .. but if u are looking for superior quility than EPSON is the name of the game ......

Adrian,

Thanks for the photo comparison links. Makes me happy I didn't sell the 1270 just to buy the 1280 when it appears there isn't any noticable difference in quality. I'll be holding out for the 2200P :).

As for the HP's and Epsons. They have the 1220C's at work, I've got the 1270 Epson at home. On nice paper the epson really outshines the 1220C. (Heavy matte or anytype of Gloss). Heck when I scan my partners sketches in for the furniture designs, it looks like he was here sketching them.

I've been using Epson 1270 for 2 years now and it's worth every cent of it. The only major difference between the 1270 and 1290 (1290 over here in australia) is that 1290 prints full bleed, whereas 1270 leaves a 5mm border. A bit annoying if u intends to joint 4 A3's to make an A1. I've done that a few times as a student cause an A1 colour print here cost A$110 (US$60).

But nontheless the best quality (and not too bad for speed) inkjet i've seen and used. Have been thinking of upgrading to 1290 though simply for the full bleed. 1290 cost around A$950 (US$530).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 3dworks

interesting topic! anyone had a chance to test the hp designjet 10ps? it's a near-proof-quality printer, A3+, 6 separate ink cartridges and comes with postscript. apparently it's very fast, too - but the price level is around 1000 euro.

Guest adrian_dav

just 3 more days until the epson 2200 goes on sale in north america(europe is one month ahead, japan 2).

epson was so far setting the standards when it comes to A3 inkjet photo-quality printing. canon's s9000 arrived in time to compete with epson. still the epson 2200 may be the best A3 inkjet.

little new in formations is available:

DP Now

C-Net

the printer is already listed at the epson online store. i think it would be worth to wait a little.

best,

adrian

http://www.adriandavidson.com

Guest Ronv

Depends how much abuse your printer is going to be subjected to...In that case i'll take an HP over anything else. Currently I use a HP2600C. It works great, color is great too. I think the bigger issue is what kind of paper are you going to use. I have found that that makes much more of a difference than the printer once you get to a certain level of quality.