convert 4:3 to 16:9 widescreen

Jim Mann

Anybody know if it is possible to convert a premiere pro project from one screen format to another. I have just finished off a six minute animation for a client who 2 days later came back to say "great, now lets do it in widescreen!"

If anybody knows of a way to convert the edit set-up I have without having to start again from the ground up I would greatly appreciate it. Its six minutes long with sound effects, so there will be a lot of editing to repeat of I can't.

Jim

converting 4:3 to 16:9 ?

u can do it using any video editing softs,, but ur video ll get distroted..

for widescreen u need to render it as Pananvision with image aspect ratio of 2.2

also u can cheat by adding 2 black bars on top and bottom in Premier... but dont how it ll looks when its played on a widesreen TV ...

try here , http://www.videoforums.co.uk/ ull get some help from guys there

Just to clarify, this is a question about Premiere.

I am going to be re-rendering the whole thing in widescreen format and would like to simply replace the previous frames. However, Premiere Pro locks me out of the settings for screen format and so I can't currently see another method of going from 4:3 to 16:9 other than starting another edit from scratch - which I would prefer to not have to do. Anybody that does know how to change a premiere pro file from 4:3 to 16:9 and could advise would be a true superstar.

Dudes.. goto export movie settings click on "VIDEO", then under pixel aspect ratio make sure you are using D1/DV NTSC (or Pal depends where you are) widescreen 16:9. That's it.....Instant widescreen... if your movie looks stretched, apply a crop filter and adjust to fit, but be warned it may take out some stuff from your animation. take a few trials till you get it right.

• 3 months later...

Way out of date, but will maybe help somebody, someday.

Ok, so you have 4:3 clips edited up in a 4:3 PP project.

Now you want to re-render to 16:9 and overwrite the clips to keep you original edit. But if you do that and open the old 4:3 project then Premiere will crop the video to keep a 4:3 ratio view of the centre section of your WS images....

So....

Make a new 16:9 Premiere project, import the old project and drop it on the timeline. This will keep the old project edit, but (as long as the source files are 16:9) will make it all work happy in 16:9 format.

I found that out when I edited some 16:9 video footage in a 4:3 project by mistake. Yes there doesn't seem to any way to change project settings once you've started, but this way works painlessly.... once you know it's there.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I've been looking at the forums to see if there was an answer to the 4:3 conversion to 16:9 widescreen as I had the same problem, unfortunately I couldnt find anything: the Project settings are fixed once you start the project. However I've discovered a workaround which may help - sorry Jim that's it's three years too late for you.

Premiere Pro project "Old Format" is 4:3 and need to convert to widescreen without importing the whole fixed timeline.

Create a new project "Widescreen" and save project. Open up "Old Format" project and marque select everything on the timeline and copy it to the pasteboard.

Open up "Widescreen" project, import the "Old Format" project file and then position the CTI on the timeline and Ctrl+V to paste all the individual elements. All the footage components have been imported into the project so the elements on the timeline can reference them.

It's then a matter of adjusting any elements to fit the new 16:9 ratio.

It works for me. :)