About time

http://www.tenlinks.com/NEWS/PR/AUTODESK/080703_piracy.htm

Might make my job a bit easier as a trainer of a non-Autodesk product in an office. I keep having to beg staff 'not' to boot leg stuff and use it, while 5 thousand euros worth of software lies idle on their machine - because they 'prefer to ignore the company standards' and go and use whatever they feel like. The high turn-over rate of staff, and the bosses pressure on these employees to get work done, isn't helping my situation either. Drag.

Don't get me started with these idiotic anti-piracy programs, and the totaly bogus 'statistics' that they use as a defense.

BUT for YOUR situation, why don't you just change the Rights for the users in your office so they CAN'T install software onto their computers? If everyone has administrative rights, then your just asking for problems - espesialy with non-computer literate users.... they always find SOME way to mess things up.

• Administrators

Hey Gareth,

The last place I worked they had just implemented a strict programe and policy to deal with exactly what you are having issues with now. Almost everyone as an admin and as you can imagine we had a ton of bootleg files, MP3, games etc etc. All eating up valuable network drive space and chewing into backup times. To combat this they did the following:

- Implemented a new software that scanned the entire network and all machines for changes to the default software base. If a change was made an email report was sent to the IT department head detailing what was installed and by whom. That person them promptly received a visit. ;)

- Once the new policy went into place a new set of rules were sent to everyone and you had to sign them indicating that you would abide by the new rules. Failure to do so was grounds for getting fired.

- I don't think they changed the admin rights as it just get's to be a real pain to do anything.

- They also had a network drive scan tool that looked for files with sepcific extensions, like MP3, and if it found any it kept popping up a window on your screeen each day until you removed them from the network.

I think it worked pretty well. Although at first there was a huge backlash. What people forget is that they do not own these computers, nor any of the software. ;)

• Administrators

Don't get me started with these idiotic anti-piracy programs, and the totaly bogus 'statistics' that they use as a defense.

Does it really matter if they say they lost $5 or $1 Trillion? In the end they are just trying to scare people into making sure they are legal. Even if the numebrs are bogus (And I too suspect they are "baked", like most statistics), pirated software is still illegal and the companies that choose to run this way should in my opinion be made examples of. Expecially when these companies are big enough to both afford the software and know better. Just my 2 cents, but then I am pretty hard line when it comes to this stuff. ;)

BUT for YOUR situation, why don't you just change the Rights for the users in your office so they CAN'T install software onto their computers? If everyone has administrative rights, then your just asking for problems - espesialy with non-computer literate users

Many programs and applications require levels of access which if enabled, also allow for applications/programs to be installed.

When I first arrived at the Department of Entomology, most machines had restricted user rights. The amount of downtime due to this was considerable.

Anytime someone wanted to change a setting...my phone would ring.

Anytime someone needed to install an application...my phone would ring.

Anytime someone wanted to both change the res and the FONTS my phone would ring.

Multiply this by 150 times, and you get the picture.

Not to mention most of the computer stability problems were caused by the original admin setups (the guy before me). The user rights were too few and it caused OS problems.

My solution was to give everyone admin access to their own machines (actually their own machines), and just put power user restrictions on machines which had more then 1 user.

Of course this requires more maintance (I try and hit each computer every 2-3 months)[Normal cleanup/updates takes 1-3 hours depending on machine speed], but results in far less calls/problems (if the machines are setup correctly).

And as far as computer-savy...I've had people here snap a cdrom tray in half and forget to turn the power strip on (my computer won't boot!).

My favorite is still the cockroach on the toner wheel. Hilarous.

My biggest problem by far, is to imagine myself, even going into work using my copy of 3DS VIZ to do work - sure i would love to - but then none of the people at work use that file format, it is all dgn MicroStation J.

So if i wish to use 3DS VIZ, which would cut through certain tasks in a fraction of the time, i would be working as an individual in the company, not as a team member. The data which i produce, would be of much less value to the organisation - since no one here has trained in VIZ - just one software MicroStation.

I made the effort, left my 3DS VIZ package at home after a month or two here - put in the effort to learn a new package - and have since managed to use MicroStation and enjoy it for the benefits/advantages it offers as a software, rather than worry overly about its limitations - which are rather too many IMO for the work VIZ can breeze through.

I am in no doubt whatsoever, that we could maximise work output, handle more clients, handle more pressure before reaching capacity using VIZ and MicroStation, or VIZ and AutoCAD - but that is not the point - the point is people hear sleep easier at night in the knowledge that everything i do is in a format they can use/understand/criticise. If they fired me in the morning, then all my work done, would not walk out the door with me. I owe it to the boss and other employees to comply - because they own my digital work output, full stop - it is their property and not my own.

Noone here though, other than myself, has any regard for this simple point of fact. In fact, i was basically kicked off a couple of jobs i was working on, because i didn't use the cracked software - the guys who did, got ahead in the practice and were given the jobs. I have spent too long here now, just being given crap work to do, or no work at all sometimes. The pay rise i expected to receive, when i was learning MicroStation properly, and trying to integrate with their system and work proceedures has disappearing like a fart in the breeze.

A couple of very talented young designers have arrived here in my time, and none have be asked to learn MicroStation - yet all have a 5,000 worth of MicroStation sitting, gathering dust on the shelf - just an ornament. THey are building/designing and managing alot of jobs using cracked stuff, of all file formats. I hate what the boss has allowed to happen here - especially since i made the effort to comply with proceedures, learn the house software and so on. The boss tries to pretend he is 'evaluating' the other softwares, by using the cracked versions - but that is bullshit - he just doesn't want to waste time, having his staff learn MicroStation.

I feel badly let down as an employee over this, and am now going to leave this practice for good with my tail between my legs. THe other f***ers here, are all just laughing their tails off at me, for not using the cracked stuff - the boss included. It is not even using the cracked stuff that would bother me, even though i am against that totally - it is the fact, the boss told me when i arrived to go and learn MicroStation, and now having done that - put in the time with this practice, he now will now honour that contract, by using MicroStation to do jobs with!

Instead he allows the whole place, to become a free for all - and jobs are done in about 10 different file formats - there are no rules anymore. A year ago, the MicroStation users here, sat down and agreed upon a good layer/level structure - so that everyone can work together and cooperate. About 20 percent are now complying with this layer/level structure - and the rest just went off and did their own layer/level structure according to which cracked software they are using.

Here is something that i read at www.irishcomputer.com last week. A new startup magazine for IT profs here in Ireland. This has been a very serious lesson for me as a practicising designer - that designing using computers isn't like paper and pencils used to be - you cannot work at all properly as a designer in this environment, where everyone is their own sys admin.

What kills me most of all, is that this firm has been around for two/three generations. ANd the lady here in charge of backups - is more worried about backing up the illegally generated files now, than the legal MicroStation stuff - since she recognises the illegal stuff 'looks cooler' than the legal stuff. I am discusted with this behaviour from someone who is put in charge of all IT budgets here. She buys all fancy new hardware and kit, for whoever will come up with some new fancy cracked software and produce cool looking whiz-bang designs - but she thinks now, that all software out their is perfectly free, and just licenses MicroStation, as a smoke screen - behind which noone uses the established company software anymore - just pretends to.

I think these clever, devious, unscrupolous illegal users are more dangerous by far, than someone, who buys no software at all - i could not prove anything to anyone about this practice - if i throw any accusations, she says that all the illegal illustrator, 3d, web design, image editing.... that all came out of the one licensed package, which noone actually uses, because no one has even learned how to.

I take enormous insult to this as a computer user firstly - as someone who believes in the power of IT and software to do good work. But when it boils down to it, for myself as a man, as a human being, as a creative spirit - i take insult to this because i am spending too many years of my young life having to worry about not collaborating properly on jobs, with the rest of the practice - because we have no standard format like in the days of paper and pencil.

No improvement in Irish software piracy

Despite experiencing the highest drop in software piracy in Europe from 1994 to 2000, Ireland’s piracy rate has not improved in the last two years. The software piracy rate in Ireland remains static at 42 per cent. A piracy rate of 42 per cent means that almost one in every two-business software programs installed in Ireland is an illegal copy. These were the findings of the Business Software Alliance’s (BSA) eighth annual survey on software piracy an independent study conducted by IPR and released today worldwide.

Commenting on the findings Julian McMenamin, chairman of BSA Ireland said, “The lack of improvement on Ireland’s piracy rate can be attributed to the proliferation of internet piracy (as it provides an alternative distribution channel for pirated software) and a certain amount of apathy. But whatever the excuse, a piracy rate of 42 per cent is appalling. Although the current business environment is difficult, companies must appreciate the value of software and ensure sound software asset management procedures are put in place. It is obvious that bolder measures will have to be taken to combat the continuing problem of piracy in Ireland.”

I was hoping to return to college and finish my degree in architectural design after this experience of working in the field. But now the prospects of this happening are extremely unlikely - and the guys here at work know that - they have used every trick in the book to prevent me from integrating into the office workflow. I was all heart, all determination and brim-full of resolve to make something out of myself.

I could go to my college here in Ireland, and explain this dilema - but really, noone here in the college is IT literate enough to understand the difficulties of this. I would love to report this practice for illegal usage of software too. But i don't think i should have to - these practices should be screened for mal-practice, and not get away with this - at the end of the day - the workers trying to do well and learn are the ones taking it on the chin.

Most of the people working here are from abroad, and will leave after about 6-12 months here in Ireland. I am the only Irish person working here, who isn't a lower grade technician/draftsman - i wish i was now, because at least those guys have to stick to the standards, rules and regulations.

Back in 1998, i did an interview and was told by the architect back then - if i learned computers and became a computer designer instead of a drawing board architect, i would get jobs no problem. I believed him back then, and worked hard to do so - but to be treated to an experience like this at the end of the day - is nothing short of an insult to me as a serious design professional, and as a human being.

Furthermore, it has contributed to a terrible lack of confidence in my own ability to work in architectural practices as a designer - owing to the trauma of this particular experience. I will have to pull myself together pretty quick though, or be ran out of the race altogether. The other day, the bosses son, came in and asked me to copy a couple of CDs for him - these are the shit kind of jobs i get now. He is a student in architecture college here. THe CDs contained about 40-50,000 worth of software! And has done projects here using MAYA! ! ! ! ! WTF!

[ August 11, 2003, 06:03 AM: Message edited by: garethace ]

Furthermore, it has contributed to a terrible lack of confidence in my own ability to work in architectural practices as a designer - owing to the trauma of this particular experience. I will have to pull myself together pretty quick though, or be ran out of the race altogether.
Yeah, sounds like a diseased office. And you are right--you cannot cure this corrupted practice. You do need to get out and 'save yourelf, its too late for them'. No shame in that, either. Just walk. Some workplaces are poisonous.

If you do want to report the illegal software use you should not be so quick to assume nothing will happen because of the 'smokescreen'. First of all, if you report the situation and explain the Microstation ruse, the anti-piracy alliance could, if they wanted to, get the Irish equivelant of a search warrant. To be honest, I doubt they would bother. I reported piracy to Discreet about Lightscape, and the reply from their head was basically "bummer".

However you have two much more interesting avenues for reporting them:

First would be the Irish version of the AIA or whatever government body holds their licences to practice architecture. Even if nothing actually happened, being investigated might make them re-examine their wicked ways.

The second interested party to whom you could complain would be the insurance carrier for the business. If the firm gets hit with a suit over software piracy the insurance carrier will be left to pay or defend it. I guarentee they will care if the business is using illegal software to deliver 'product' in a high-liability practice. I don't know about Ireland, but in the US lawyers would eat alive any architect that had used illegal software to design a building that caused injury later. This is probably your best avenue to changing the office culture.

Good luck!

Well Jeff and Ernst, thankyou both for reading my story - a least other young men/women out there can benefit from hearing my experiences too. I.e. the new digital generations of young talented designers - as i said in my post, it is those young people who are hit hardest of all, by mal-practice. My biggest hope would be that university and educational establishments become more aware of this - as they specify work experience as a major part of university courses in architecture.

I am aware that people, myself included just love to complain and to give out about places where one worked etc, etc, etc. But in my account above, i tried as hard as i could to leave out the emtional hatred, or distaste i have for various employers, and to just stick to the major points - like you say, from my point of view now, i just need to find a practice which doesn't carry on like i described - at least, in future i will know in advance what types of organisations/people not to work for.

Its just to preserve my own future, and fulfill my own potential - i owe that duty to the same almighty who put me on this earth to begin with, as much as myself. But in some practices here in Ireland, you have about a fifty/fifty chance of being really lucky and doing very well. On the other hand, you have also a fifty/fifty chance of falling into these kinds of problems.

What surprises me, is how 'high up' this practice is - but i suppose if the guy running the place just inherited everything from his Dad - maybe he doesn't fully respect what he has. I kicked up over something once before and swore never again - in a country as small as this, and judging by how things operate - the place is just too small, and i would be cutting off my nose to spite my face unfortunately.

I just made a post here at cyburbia, which might compare it a bit to Gangs of New York: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=85763#post85763

Like in the movie, i feel that some day this kind of five points situation, will just disappear and never be seen again - at the moment though, the software world is a gang world.

I have a friend here even a cleaner in a supermarket, and if she arrived late onto her job, apparently the manager of the supermarket can blame the cleaning company for any accidents of customers slipping. So in certain occupations the legality thing is really big - i must do a little more investigation and see exactly how architecture deals with illegal software.

But the key thing for me, is to make my universtiy at least see that i am genuine about doing work experience, it is just the people I am working for haven't been entirely cooperative with me. I even had to bring in my own pc at one stage, and use the 15 minute try-out edition of MicroStation. I was just at my wits end, trying to get some proper hands-on doing drawings etc. Using that, i managed to do a whole set of revised work drawings for an architect here - which the builders and fire officer certified. But somehow, all those drawings mysterious disappeared, when the architect i had done the drawings for subsequently left the practice.

The builders were actually building the building, and phoning the practice for a copy of the actual drawings - which didn't exist. Because someone at the practice, who didn't want me 'doing anything there' (because i was good) secretly deleted them. I informed the new draughtsman working on the job, that i had done a set of drawings, but everyone in the practice denied all knowledge of it. I had a CDROM backup for myself - but instead of pursuing the matter any longer, i smelled a big rat, and kept my CDROM copy of the building drawings to myself.

That is when i really began to get a 'diseased feeling' about the place all right. The apartments got built without any drawings, and the people bought the apartments with good money. The boss said to me, that he was a 'little upset' by the incident, but i just kept my CDR backup to myself, and said nothing. Afterwards, various members of the practice would come to me and ask my to 'steal' digital information on various projects in the practice - possibly trying to put me in the shit, and tarnish my professional standing. I could go on and on and on.... what an experience!

I am just delighted i have managed to keep my own innocence intact as much as possible. If i can live through this incestuous experience, i think i will survive through almost anything. In the building game over here, all the contractors involved in a building, get large bonuses for finishing buildings quicker - it doesn't matter if things are doing incorrectly - just as long as things are done quickly. Every 20 years there is a building boom, and then everything stops short for another 20 years - i was experiencing the worst aspects of 'boom time'.

[ August 11, 2003, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: garethace ]

Been there, done it and gotten the T-Shirt. Hopefully though at some stage, i may just manage to convince this funny little profession of my honest, genuine, determination to become a proper responsible professional. Sometime maybe when they finally figure out how they stand in relationship to this 'technology'.

I would leave and kick their ass by calling whatever organization needs to be called (AIA, BSA, gov't software piracy hotline,...). You need to move on Gareth if this is how you describe your place of work. Cmon, seriously...even the boss condones these office morals? Good luck pal.

Xavier

Garethace,

Dear god man, get out of there while you still can!

The whole software issue, which must be frustrating as hell, sounds like it's entirely beside the point. The environment in general at this office sounds like a complete nightmare, and the software problems are just one symptom of the defective work culture.

I'm reacting strongly to this partly because of my own experience. I've worked in a couple of wretched, soul-crushing offices here in Chicago and rationalized staying there far too long. While I was at these places, I had all kinds of rationalizations for why I should stay (i.e. I could get good work experience, I should at least see this project through, it will look good on my resume, etc.). I've recently started out on my own doing architecture and visualisation, and when I look back at those places that I thought "weren't too bad really" it's clear as day that NOTHING makes up for the misery of an unhealthy workplace.

Your comment about doubting your abilities hit home too. I've found that if I'm not valued for all the contributions I can make, I end up caring less, watching the clock, and doing mediocre work. As soon as I stepped out on my own and was responsible to myself, I've become alot more focused on work and excited about it. For a little perspecitve, I was working on (allegedly) the tallest building in Europe at one of these firms, which you'd very likely recognize, and I'm now drawing up plans for a friend and his wife who want to fix up their basement, and I couldn't be happier! Of course I don't want to do basement renovations forever, but doing competent work on my own, which others clearly value, now matter how unglamorous, can be really rewarding.

Hopefully though at some stage, i may just manage to convince this funny little profession of my honest, genuine, determination to become a proper responsible professional.
Trying to convince the knuckleheads at your office of your good intentions and overall worth is probably a waste of your time. You've convined us of your determination, and the further you distance yourself from environments that get in the way of that determination, the more clear your competence will be to every reasonable person you deal with.

As for the piracy problem, I'm sure it would feel great to call up the BSA and make them pay for their shady behavior, but it's more important for your sanity to find a good place to work first.

Jack

Hey Ernest,

Hmm, no I was referring to a well known architect in Chicago whose name might also be used to refer to protective head gear. I'm curious about this R--I character. I'm in the process of assembling a portfolio to seek rendering jobs, and I only know about a couple of my main competitors.

Jack

I will email you off-forum about this. There is a rendering firm that is in the Chicago area that I had spent a couple of weeks working for about ten years ago--to decide if I wanted to move to Chicago and join that firm. The owner was a lunatic and I didn't want to work with him, and several of his people quit while I was there--they had enough. The guy that ran the firm freaked out when we all went to lunch together--he figured we were plotting against him. Naw, just comparing pizza. By the way, Brooklyn beats Chicago for pizza any day.

I'll be more specific by email. If you are in a rush contact me.

I have slept on it and thought about it a bit. I think the problem with piracy is simple - if the architect properly licensed the software, like a visualisation software - the main boss/partner here would become automatically liable for that 3-dimensional information he supplies. It is the same with ordinary physical models - the architect really wants to minimise his liability 'surface area of attacks' if you will. By not recognising that 3D software is used in his firm, even though it is in an illegal manner every day - the boss probably hopes to keep his insurance bills down etc, etc.

What has struck me, was we were actually going to go right ahead at one stage and license VIZ and buy hardware etc, etc. But one day the boss just returned after talking to 'the establishment'. I.e the Institure of Architects here in Ireland - by sending them an email or something - and suddenly i perceived the boss seemed to have the 'low-down' about using VIZ in practices, and he was dead-set against it.

I am just wondering, is their any policy amongst architectural principles out there, against using 3Dimensional visualisation software - to furnish clients with 3-dimensional information.

I mean, i was using my own license of VIZ, to produce panoramas for clients to use at home, of house interiors etc, etc - long before some of the more talented bunch came along with the cracked copies. One lady in particular spent 1 million building a mansion here in Ireland, but here husband was in the states as a big company exec. He received the panorama files, and view installation software by email and viewed them over in the states on his laptop, while talking to his wife about the design of the house.

While i was handling this particular project for the boss, and he was very appreciative of my help at the time, the boss was all positive about the technology.

But then one day, the wife of the exec. came in to speak to the boss, and informed the boss, she should have had these panorama files months ago, at the beginning of the design process. I think that left a bad taste in the mouth of my boss. After this he suddenly hated me for doing the panoramas, made sure i wasn't using VIZ anymore, and basically removed my computer, software etc, etc and gave to the other guys.

He became highly indignant that i had used 3DS VIZ, not MicroStation to generate these panoramas, and suddenly became all 'worried' that i had used a software that wasn't in the office to model and generate them. I think he felt i had pulled a quick one on him, and made his really rich client give out to him, for only having the standard 2D plans, sections and elevations - which when you are designing a house the size practically of four houses put together, hardly convey 'a sense' of what you are paying 1 million bucks for.

It became really personal and bitter between the rich 'wife' client and the architect boss. He stood his own ground as an architect, as architects are so good at doing - being stubborn and not giving an inch. He took it on board to make this VIZ thing personal - that if 2D plans were good enough to earn his fees in the past, why should this lady, emailing her panormas to the states for her husband to see what he was spending 1 million big ones on, be allowed to 'tell' a professional like him what to do.

Unfortunately, you see, this whole 'VIZ' area is quite a sour one in practice for these architect professionals - they will not have anyone, going around saying, "Oh that architect designed my house,.... but didn't bother to do enough visuals for me.... isn't that what i pay the architects to do?" The architect on the other side of the argument, has only ever done standard contract drawings for a house, and isn't going to be made legally/design-time-wise 'bound' to any visuals, cg work, or design process that would require him, to use the panoramas and panorama viewer application on his laptop, as well as the client.

He had a very neat little process figured out here, - he would pass the wife of the rich client onto his own wife who got commissioned to choose curtains, beds, furniture and fireplaces. The clients up until this point had felt 'really well taken care of'. And the boss just got so used to hearing he was great, the first person who told him otherwise had to be full of shite. I was the tiny little bastard, who had managed to make him look 'un-professional'. So all of the jobs i had done visualisations for - planning submissions for apartments etc returned denied permission. THey were terrible developments anyone - but he just made a point out of saying that the 'visuals i did were mainly responsible for the permissions being denied'.

Then he started to go all sensitive about anyone doind visualisation in the office - he made sure anyone who used the ink jet printers to print visualisations on, got told off for wasting ink - and started telling us all, 'to go back and start doing pencil drawings and sketches'.

That is the big issue i am constantly getting to here - i am not exactly sure how many here at cgarchitect are working professional architects, or contracted visualisation artists. For my own part, i was a student architect who possessed the skills and license to work in VIZ, but the architecture professionals 'official' line on VIZ in the Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland - for small practices who design houses for rich people/poor people is: You don't get tied down to legality/insurance for visualising designs in 3DS VIZ - you only do the drawings, and the clients 'can commission' visualisations for themselves, and pay for it themselves - the exact same way as clients/developers now themselves commission physical models, and submit themselves as part of planning proposals etc.

I other words it doesn't get done at all. Except perhaps for an auctioneers brochure or something, and then it is just the estate agent who commissions the visuals.

But the Architect isn't in any way responsible/liable for an interpretation or otherwise of the visuals/models. He only is responsible for the drawings. THis is the official line here in Ireland. I am actually quite surprised myself, because in 1999/00 it was easy as an architect to get work in practices doing visualisation - it seemed to be the future - but what i have seen now, is a massive retreat by the architecture profession, entirely away from 3DS VIZ type products - like the retreat of the natives in the film 'The Patriot'. THey have all stood firmly shoulder to shoulder on this particular issue - in opposition - while the odd time, dropping a buzz word, like 3DS VIZ, here and there, if they wanted to sound futuristic, and 'High tech' to certain clients. In other words, architects have not embraced VIZ at all, just politized it, and used it to gain 'technology votes'. :)

I was just unfortunate enough to be 'caught' in no-mans land at the time in question. I have since prepared a brand new strategy, based upon the image of the architect as a guy with a roll of drawings, a drafting table, a simple small format type 'shuttle computer desktop' or laptop/desktop replacement to simply print/view 2D drawings, and perhaps a few tubes of glue, and cardboard to make a quick concept model or two.

That way, at least the architects don't hate me so much, for wanting to do CG work etc, etc.

On the other hand, you could argue, there is an awful lot of illegal CG work happening on projects - but the architecture profession nowadays have choosen to ignore it, not to recognise it as an addition to the normal everyday work. Remember, all of these architects get a standard insurance/guidelines to follow from some AIA, or RIAI etc, etc. ANd they follow it to the nth degree. My opinion is that small architectural firms probably have to upgrade their insurance policy/contracts etc, and training of staff, if they were 'to use' VIZ as a product in work. It is not just as simple as AutoDesk selling VIZ as a product, and architects buying it. I bought VIZ in December 1998, and have been improving ever since, as hardware and so on has improved - but the architects as a profession have not embraced it as a standard - that is why i think AutoDesk with drop Viz, and maybe just come up with a really watered down edition of ADT/with rendering etc, etc, etc.

My own best experience of 3D was back in the days of MACs using FormZ in 1999 - this i think, even though the hardware was poor - will always remain my favourite chapter in the CG story in architecture. But now, i am going to just box away permanently all my QUadro cards, memory, cpus, network hubs, software licenses and MicroSoft platforms - and write the whole lot off as a bad debt, from an architectural professional point of view.

I have taken a long, long time to make this decision and have tried to justify sticking with 3DS VIZ type applications, investing time, money and effort into learning them - but if there was a proper place for architects and IT technology in the situation here in Ireland, i am positive i would have found it between the period 1998 and 2003 - but i didn't. Except from this illegal 'shady' type of no-recognition by the profession way. Any visualisation i have done for the past year or so, i have had to trace in a 2D CAD software, and print out to appear like it was done using a hand drawn pen or something - this is a compromise of sorts, but still does not deal with the issue, which is architects don't see Visualisation as part of their responsibility, in the same way as they 'cherish' their high quality bound sketchbooks and sketches - because every sketch drawn with their own hand, is like a signature on a bank note - a license to print money.

If one is to spend/invest time and energy offering ones creative potential and skills to any organisation - the least one should deserve is a little respect and recognition, by instating a default software base for all design members, training everyone and expecting everyone to stick to it during working hours. Autodesk imagined that VIZ might be a cash cow, like their Inventor product, which is in fact newer than VIZ - but has already become a leading/recognised/respected product in its field. But engineering has always embraced the Catias, the Unigraphics, Pro-Engineers and so on. It has also embraced Quadro products, fast cpus and large CRT/LCD display tech.

[ August 12, 2003, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: garethace ]

So while I have received an awful lot of great tuition, support and encouragement from the AutoDesk support guys here in Ireland, and people in the field – I think that AutoDesk have done an absolutely fine job of making people aware and using all of their product line. I don’t think that moving to a different practice will actually make architects behave any differently – I expect just more of the same. So it is clearly up to me now, to ignore all you guys here at CG Architect, become a ‘suit-y’ stick in the mud like the rest of the Architects in this country – and refer to CG with the same distain, discust, and horror as a creepy-crawly. Sorry guys, but that is just how it has to be! ;)

Just kidding, but thanks again, for the kind words or encouragement and confidence you have shown in a young individual – it is genuinely heart warming at this time. And huge apologises for the length of this post!

• 4 years later...

Hi Gareth

Bit of a long shot but I was just wondering are you still working in this field now as things in Ireland have really changed for the better I think.

Cracking post read every bit of it as I am working in Ireland now at the same thing.

I would love to know how you are doing now or if anyone else has experienced anything like this how have they come out of it

I am currently working in ireland now and everyone is looking for and workiing in THREE D