Cinema 4d compatable and affordable 3D Architectural CAD softwares...

Hi All,

Our office is evaluating 3D Architectural CAD softwares DataCAD and Vectorworks Architect. We are users of AutoCAD and VIz and now shifting towards Cinema 4D. Our main concern is to have smooth transition from AutoCAD to any other AEC 3D software which can make our visualisation job more easy and effective and at the same time we want to keep Cinema 4D import in intact. Please advise us.

Thanks in advance.

Maxon, the makers of Cinema 4D, are owned by Nemetschek, which produces VectorWorks. There is a plugin available that is supposed to make it easy to export models to Cinema and update them as needed. I haven't used it myself, but you can probably get some feedback here or at CGtalk.

I have just started playing with the VectorWorks demo, and one thing I've noticed is that it seems to have the best DWG import I've seen in a CAD app. Keep in mind that I've spent very little time with VectorWorks, but so far I like what I see.

Jack

i use AutoCAD and C4D on a daily bases, and i myself converted from max to c4d a few years ago.

AutoCAD and C4D go excelently together. it obviously has a few issues, but nothing to cry about imo. except for 2d drawing. if you hope to export autocad 2d into c4d then forget it.

AutoCAD and C4D go excelently together. it obviously has a few issues, but nothing to cry about imo. except for 2d drawing. if you hope to export autocad 2d into c4d then forget it.

Working with AutoCAD is not a problem. I work with ADT and Viz. in Bahrain. I have small company in India working Arch VIsualisation and there we need a solution which is affordable and legal. We are working with IntelliCAD successfully for 2d CAD drawings. IntelliCAD is complete mimic of AutoCAD. We are planning for AEC 3D Architectural tool at affordable price.

Thanks for suggestions and waiting for more...

I bought Intellicad 5 from autodsys. I only use cad to clean up dwg files and use them for import, I don't really do any design job in cad. Intellicad is a complete replica of Autocad, the standard edition misses the photorealistic render, raster image display, VBA and ACIS modelling, but they are not of any use to me, and it just costs around 100$ (can't quite remember). Almost 40 times cheaper than Autocad.

The only drawback I found, is that navigation can be 3-4 times slower in the viewport than Autocad, which can be a bit clumpsy in heavy dwg files. It does provide a cheap way to be legal though, which I find invaluable.

I bought Intellicad 5 from autodsys.

Hi,

We work with IntelliCAD from Greece company called 4MSA which is supposed to be a big Engineering solutions company in Athens. (www.4m.gr) They have vertical product called 4M-IDEA for Architecture, I feel still a lot to be done for that to use for regular visualisation need. Our concern is to use AEC 3D software for more ease.....

Hi All,

Our office is evaluating 3D Architectural CAD softwares DataCAD and Vectorworks Architect. We are users of AutoCAD and VIz and now shifting towards Cinema 4D. Our main concern is to have smooth transition from AutoCAD to any other AEC 3D software which can make our visualisation job more easy and effective and at the same time we want to keep Cinema 4D import in intact. Please advise us.

Thanks in advance.

First of all:

Architect is an add-on. Vector Works is the base product. You may or may not need to buy Architect as the base version has an excellent toolset.

As someone mentioned the import-export dxf-dwg is very very good.

Vectorworks 11 now supports viewports, a feature that acad users missed in the past when switched to vectorworks.

Vectorworks itself has va very good 3d toolset as well. Including nurbs, booleans and snaps.

If you decide to go for vectorworks you will find it easy to learn and a very well designed interface.

I can't advice on the C4D compatibility as I am not a C4D user but as far as Vector Works goes I am very happy.

First of all:

Architect is an add-on. Vector Works is the base product. You may or may not need to buy Architect as the base version has an excellent toolset.

If you decide to go for vectorworks you will find it easy to learn and a very well designed interface.

I can't advice on the C4D compatibility as I am not a C4D user but as far as Vector Works goes I am very happy.

Thanks for sharing about Vectorworks....:) we recieved demo version of Vectorworks 11.0 and also Architect add on..we will explore possibilities

Have you had a look at SketchUp?

It's a fantastic program for modelling architecture, and it imports and exports dwg/dxf very well, both in 2D and 3D. The 3ds or obj export formats should work fine in Cinema too.

http://www.sketchup.com/

...Sketchup is a good option too..:) Our office at Bahrain looking for sketchup. My firm in India is into visualisation and some Architectural design too..it calls for AEC based software..

If you're going to evaluate how well C4D and Vectorworks work together, you would have to get the Vectorworks exchange plug-in which Maxon also sells. The plug-in basically allows you to import the model done in VW. Once you've put in the lights and textures, you can still update the model using the plug-in. You can't do this if you're going via the DXF/DWG import route.

For more info, go to http://maxon.net/pages/products/c4d/vectorworks_edition/vw_specialedition_e.html

HTH,

Ariel

The VW to C4D is easy, fast and reliable. Only when one or the other software is udated that problems can ocurr. Recently, VW came out with v.11.5 and now, the VW to C4D plugin has a problem. There were plugin problems with C4D R8.5 to R9. These two Nemetschek divisions need to coordinate with one another a little more.

I have used VW since it was Minicad v3(?) and have produced many highly detailed working drawings over the years. It is affordable and you can open it up the first time and start producing. 3D is more difficult, if new to 3D. Vectorworks also has Renderworks which is very good for fast, but simple, renderings. Renderworks has color, texture, lighting, etc. features.

As a practicing architect, developing my rendering skills, I rely on VW to produce accurate templates for wrapping splines around in C4D, for producing walls with the correct thickness and height and to extrude shapes and cut those shapes at 45°. Being a recent C4D addict, such tasks can be time blowing to do in C4D. Of course, C4D is supremely better at lighting, rendering, etc., etc. than VW. Right now, its a good team for my needs.

Cheers.

• 3 months later...

hi Leo,

May I ask you if you have a solution for VW11.5 willing to work with C4DR9???

I've just bought those two with the Vectorworks exchange... and know I'm a little stuck as we say in french...

Do you have an advice to exchange some other way? Or do you know if someone has fixed the problem?

Best

Li Mei

limei,

Maxon has updated the VW/C4D plugin for VW11.5.Go to http://www.maxon.net/ and then click Downloads (upper left corner, small font)>Updates (2nd from top)>Plugins.

There are two plugins to be downloaded: Material Exchange and Vectorworks Exchange R2 for VW11.5. You will find installation instructions from Maxon in the plugin folders.

Are you new to either VW or C4D or both? I have used VW for many years and am still struggling with C4D after a couple of years. Love C4D...totally hooked.

Importing into C4D from VW is very easy and with no problems. Only detail to be careful with is C4D will make the VW drawings about 1.6% larger if C4D is not corrected in the Preferences, Edit>Preferences>Import/Export>Vectorworks Import. For me, I change the "1" to ".984".

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers.