Networking-can't get the pc's to talk

Hi all,

I have my new system set up and I'm trying to get it and the old one to talk to each other.

Both can access the internet via cable modem (dynamic IP address only). I can see the new one from the old one on my network connections. When I go to look at the old one from the new one, I get a connection error message stating it can't access the network work group.

Both have the same work group name and both are set to automatically get IP address (cable modem).

Old machine has a d-link 10/100 on Win2k pro. New machine has a broadcom gigbit on WinXP Pro. I have both connected to the d-link 604 router, then the router connected to the cable modem (d-link).

I've attempted to walk through d-link's help site, but I'm just not getting it. I'm mostly interested in getting files back and forth, though network rendering would be nice.

Anyone have a tutorial or comments on what I need to do? Any help would be great.

Thanks much.

Dan

Honestly, I don't know.

I went through the networking wizard on the xp machine a second time and blindly followed some instructions off of the "How stuff works" web site and it was working. I know I went through the steps when I first set it up a few days ago, but it didn't work then. ??

Next step is setting things up for net rendering using the DHCP setup. Any links to good info?

Thanks.

Dan