Assign Random Colors

nisus

Hi All,

When modelling in max7, I want to draw every object in anoother color, and NOT in white because it's draw on the default layer.

However I cannot change this for now. The only thing I've accomplished is drawing on a layer with one sigle color (non-white), but this is far from what I want. I really want every object in another color, no layers needed, just the way it was back in three ;-)

Can anyone pls give a (detailed) description how to set this up? Tnx

rgds,

nisus

btw, I really wonder why NO difference is made between a selected object (white) and a freshly drawn one...

Next to the object's name is a color swatch, a little rectangle of the object's color. Click on that, and it brings up the color selector. There is a checkbox called "Assign Random Colors". Ensure that this is checked. Any new objects will have a new color assigned.

Yes, you don't want to use white, as that is also the color of selected objects in wireframe.

When bringing in CAD models, a lot of times the objects are white, or tied to a layer that is white. Set the Properties of those objects to use "By Layer", and set the layer color to something other than white. You can change a lot of objects all at once by selecting them all, then right-clicking and selecting Properties, and changing the options to By Layer from By Object.

Have fun!

I can remember the random color changing thing happening in older versions of MAX like 3.5 and 4 but not in the more recent versions, perhaps since they introduced the layer manager? Does checking the option thats ays "create new shape" above the shapes tool pallete do anything (swinging in the dark here)?

-Mega

Hi Jennifer,

Next to the object's name is a color swatch, a little rectangle of the object's color. Click on that, and it brings up the color selector. There is a checkbox called "Assign Random Colors". Ensure that this is checked. Any new objects will have a new color assigned.

This does NOT work. The object I draw still gets the layer color.

When clicking 'by object' all new draw objects turn black.

rgds

nisus

in max 6..

Go to Cutomize-Prefrences/GENREAL-Layer default and UNCHECK Default to by layer for new node

i think is the same in max 7, i dont know,

all ur elements are goingto be in the same layer but with diferent colors.

letme know if this helps .

Well, Nisus, according to Alex Bicalho, you can create your own "DesignViz" setup. You can have it set the way you want, so Max will behave exactly like DesignViz/MR except for the "color by layer" thing. Check out his post here: http://www.cgarchitect.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7203

Also, if you change the Preferences > General > Layer Defaults and uncheck Default to By Layer for New Nodes (just like DelfoZ said) after you chose the DesignViz/MR profile you'll see all your objects being created with random colors, even if you close and re-open 3ds max.