WIN2000 PRO Vs WIN XP PRO

I have to reformat my computer tomorrow, because my hard drive has 3 partitions. I have my os win 2000 in one, then max/acad/ls/and photoshop in another "drive" and i used the third half for storage. however my computer has been acting up and i have wipe it out. so my questions are:

WIN 2000 or WIN XP , which one is better/stable

and if I would get better performance with a single partition ?

Thank you.

From what I've seen from others (and my own experiences) Windows XP rendered about 10-15% slower on my machine compared to running it in Windows 2000. Considering I didnt have a whole lot of time to test with XP I couldnt do alot more with it, but personally I'd say that if you want a good, stable, solid work platform go with 2000. XP still isnt as solid, nor as fast, as a good 2000 install.

As to the performance difference of a single partition vs. two or more, well Ive seen arguments both ways. You might notice a difference if you had one partition for all your main programs and such and then another partition for a swap file, but I doubt either way you'd notice a difference. Now if you do want to speed things up then get two hard drives, a fast (preferably SCSI) for Windows and your programs and then a large storage size (mainly IDE) for your files.