GeForce 4400

• Administrators

Thought I'd make a quick post about my 4400 and the results I've had so far.

The card I had before this one was the oringal ELSA Gloria II SDR's and this card is much faster. I havn't done any numerical benchmarks yet, but just in production it is much faster. Stbaility in MAX and Lightscape has so far been flawless with the exception of using Nview for the dual monitor features. ALthouhgh MAX runs, I found it to be dramatically slower and exhibits wird menu artifcatiing and slow dialog box loads. Lightscape will not load as long as Nview is enabled.

Without Nview both MAX and LS are very fast and I saw no problems with face seclections, crashing with Auto-Orient or any other problems for that matter.

If anybody wants me to test something for them just let me know.

Cheers,

Very Interesting results with your gfx card

i presume the performance drop of running dual, is due to having to draw twice the screen area.

hence why the top of the line wildcat has 2 cpus, i for each monitor.

im not familiar with the geforce 4, does it have 2 vga slots?

or is there another way you are hooking up 2 monitors?

with the menu artifacting in max

goto preferences...viewports...configure driver...and play with the redraw screen on window expose, and its sub options (backbuffers)

ive found these to be the culprit on many a viewport problem.

your lucky you didn buy another elsa, as i hear they went under the other day :(

made good cards they did.

• Administrators

Hey Wolf,

No the performance drop has to do with the driver that allows you to get enhanced functionality with dual monitors. The most powerfull is the ability to maximize in one screen only. With nView turned off most programs will maximize across two screens. Not very usefull but can be done manually by just resizing your app for the one window.

The geForce takes up the AGP slot, and I'm assuming their are also PCI version as well. The back of the card has to ports: VGA and DVI. The DVI port if for LCD/Flat Panels. Becuase I'm still using CRTs the card also comes with a DVI to VGA converter. So both monitors hook up to the same card. With W2K and Xp you can also put two card in, one AGP and one PCI and get dual monitor support that way too.

Yeah, I've been using ELSA's for years so it was sad to hear about their going out of business. :(

Elsa is going out of buisness! NOOOOOOOOO! I've found thier drivers (the maxtreme drivers) to be by far the most reliable, best performing, and offer the most diverse settings around. I will deeply miss elsa.

So what brand is going to offer all those things now?