Clock is ticking

M V

• Administrators
Beautifully made book, as well as the movie, but $133, I'll pass. He should have made it available on Amazon and sold it for $50. Also, he needs to work on something new, stop milking 3rd&7th "Alex"! hahahahahha Just kidding, I'm jealous really.

Well, it's easy to say "he should have just put it on Amazon" but the reality is that this does not change the economics behind the scenes. I've spoken to Alex a fair bit about this and I've been involved in shipping thousands of books worldwide, so let me set the record straight on self-publishing as the public in general grossly misunderstands what's involved.

First you have to cover the cost of printing. For a book the calibre and quality of the one Alex is doing and assuming a run of about 3000 books your cost just to get it printed is going to be $15-20 per book. On top of that add all of time required to write, layout, produce and edit and you can probably conservatively estimate about 3-4 months of solid work (and that's not considering the fact Alex already spend a year creating this project), so you can probably add another $15-20 a book just in production time. If you have to hire editors and compositors you can add more. So out of the gate your costs are going to be $30-50 per book and you've not made any money yet. To take the orders you will lose approx. 3-4% in credit card fees on the MSRP of the book price.

Then we get to the most problematic factor of all - shipping. Because no self publisher has the volume behind them to command the Amazon rates from shippers, it costs a substantial amount of money to ship books worldwide, especially if you want tracking and insurance. In many cases the self-published author will subsidize part of the shipping from their profits to try to bring this price down a bit.

Putting a book on Amazon for distribution does not help the author at all, only the purchaser. Depending on the model you select you can either pay them to warehouse and ship your books at a significant cost or you can still do all of the fulfilment yourself and only use Amazon to take the orders. However, you do not have any control over the shipping costs. Amazon sets those rates based on their own rates. So even if it costs you $50 to ship, Amazon will only charge $20 for example and you're on the hook for the difference. Add to that a commission they take for using their site and in the end you lose A LOT of money using Amazon to ship a book.

Any fulfilment you do yourself also adds to the cost of the book. It's sounds pretty easy to just chuck the book into a box and slap a shipping label on it, but trust me it's A LOT more work than that to ensure the book arrives in good condition. You can expect to pay someone a salary to do this or a per book fee around $10-15 per book.

While Alex is doing these pre-sales to get a better idea of how many books to actually get printed and to offset his initial cash outlay (the same we did with the CGschool Books), he is still likely to order more stock to accommodate future orders and also bring down the per unit printing costs. So in most cases, even with the pre-sales an author is not likely to start making any profits until those extra books sell. I know with CGschool our production costs were $60,000-100,000 per book and it took about 6 months after the pre-orders shipped before you'd start to be profitable.

So, while I'm sure Alex will be profitable in this venture, he's likely outlaying A LOT of his own cash upfront and it's going to be a while before he sees a profit. Self-publishing is not easy and there are a lot of other things I've not mentioned here that also play a large factor in costs and profitability.

Anyway, hopefully a bit of the breakdown above explains why books like the ones we used to publish and the one Alex is doing are so expensive and not the same as the $39.99 + $10 shipping you see on Amazon. Self publishers don't sell millions of books a year. We stopped publishing with the CGschool because any profits we made were funnelled back into the next book and we were never ahead. The only way to make money in self-publishing is to have a run away best seller (does not happen in our field) or to only publish one book (or in our case stop publishing).

The risk Alex has taken doing this book are pretty significant, so don't underestimate that.

Oh and for anyone that thinks working with a traditional publisher might be a better route. It's not. In many cases an author might spend a year writing a book and over the course of two years only make $10-20K. The publisher takes almost everything. You can see why.

Edited by Jeff Mottle

When I saw he was doing the book, I held out my wallet and said, "Take my money!" I'm order #1414 from about a month ago.

$133 is not a horrible price for a book like this. If it was soft cover and printed and basic paper, then sure. Good art books will always cost you a decent amount of money. Plus this is a limited run of prints so once the run is over you many never see a new copy again.

Without overstating it, I think passing on this book is bit crazy, because it's not just ArtBook (which sell for 60-80 euros just fine in this size without offering any other benefit than curated picture collection and looking good untouched year-round on bookcase), it's resource of unthinkable proportions for our small 3D world. The value to get from that book will outmatch the price incredibily easily. With no hesitation I would pay 4times that price without whim of an eye.

• Administrators

Books are a funny thing. Technically a good book like this could save you thousands of dollars in learning/time/training so really any knowledge book should cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars, but there is an established mindset that books cost between $30-60 and that is all most people are willing to pay.

Where does it say there's a cut off point for ordering?!

When a customer preorders a book is actually ordering and paying for the whole thing in advance. The “pre-order” term comes because this book edition is a limited one and every copy is printed-to-order basis.

Hence, the total amount of printed books will be limited to the number of people who purchase it during the two month pre-order period. The ordering window period opens right now and closes November 23th 2013. No further orderings will be taken after that.

The intention is to print only as many books as ordered, so it’s unlikely that any book stock will remain after the pre-order period has finished.

So here comes the important part: if someone wants to get a copy it’s essential that this person orders it within that time. Otherwise, there will be no chance of getting any copy beyond that point (11/23/2013) unless there will remain any stock -which, as i say, is unlikely-

If you've not got your order in, I've got bad news for you. :/

I'm in. :-)

Buying this book was a no brainer!

Also, Alex did kindly add a much lower shipping method as it was said a lot that shipping was expensive. Myself included. But I purchased it anyway.

I' believe I read on the site that they are shipped in the order they were ordered. So I hope it doesn't take too long to ship the 1322 Orders ahead of mine!

I can't wait to receive it. Merry Christmas me. :-)

Edited by cg_Butler

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...