Anyone work standing up occasionally?

heni30

Does anyone use an adjustable table to not be sitting all the time?

Sitting all day, they say, is not good for your health and probably knocks some years off your life expectancy.

And maybe part of the time could be in a hammock with a laptop sipping a Pina Colata.

HT ADJUSTABLE TABLE.jpg

Nope, but I'll buy one in next few months. In meantime I'll start alternating fitball with bossy Herman Miller chair. Can't take looking like crogmanon person anymore. Worse, bodybuilding even fixated it so now my shoulder hurts from pelvic side inbalance and I can't activate my glutes in any exercise.

So much for sitting behind computer on average 8 hours for past 5 years...

Problem is the big standing tables that are also motorized can be funky expensive for a...table. But I am finally fed up, health is health.

I do sit for work, but I think breaks where you walk around for a bit really help. We also have a table tennis table here, so that helps get the blood pumping and an excuse to spend 5 mins away from the PC.

I've been in studios where people work 8+ hours straight, without even a toilet break, and that's only gonna end up one way sadly.

I am one of the rare breed of people who used to have a bad back. 4 years of hell. I started using a standing up workstation as it was less painful to either stand up or lie down than to sit. Now Im healthy again I tend to work mainly sitting down, but have good lumbar support and posture. I also pretty much have a gym in my office so I rarely sit down for more than 30 mins at a time and then work out a little.

You wont regret getting a standing station, but be aware you need to assume good posture for standing, just like you do for sitting.

@Juraj, you dont need a motorized one. You need two workstations, split your software between two machines and you'll force yourself to split your time between sitting and standing. The one I had was a rolling bakers rack with a modified shelf, basically a big peice of plywood cut to an ergonomic shape and screwed to one of the shelves. It even had a cup holder! It was from a photographer friend who needed to roll his tethered Mac around his studio during big shoots.

Edited by Tommy L

I agree about taking breaks but despite my best intentions I always forget. I guess I'll find a timer online.

Another idea I had was having like Olympic rings hanging down so that I could do pulling stretches while waiting for things to render or load.

As far as the mouse goes, I forced myself to be equally comfortable using it with my other hand as well so I can switch. I also got a pen tablet so that I have 3 options at the slightest sign of discomfort.

I saw an infomercial last night for an inversion contraption - you just rotate upside down. I think that would be a good thing to have nearby.

inversion.jpg

I'm just waiting for that space elevator so that we can just zip up to the rendering station every morning.

Edited by heni30

In meantime I'll start alternating fitball with bossy Herman Miller chair. Can't take looking like crogmanon person anymore.

Sorry about your problems. Maybe the adjustable table will help alleviate them. Did you find the HM chair to be a good investment? Any cons to it?

Edited by heni30

Sorry about your problems. Maybe the adjustable table will help alleviate them. Did you find the HM chair to be a good investment? Any cons to it?

Yeah, they're the nicest chairs easthetically/functionally out there. I have Sayl, pretty futuristic. But currently I have interest in the new Mirra2 chairs, which are just work of art. They all go on average for 700-800 dollars (unless the fully equipped Embody behemoth), which is much lower than slightly more formal Vitra (which go for 1200 dollars fully equipped )

As was mentioned, it's so much more important how to walk( and /sit ) than simply walking. I walked a lot, bicycled, and worked out for many years. It doesn't matter because the way I sit behind computer (horrible form) than translated into how I walked (lumbar forward tilt) thus not solving anything. Paying attention to it now plus painful stretching (quads/hamstrings mostly) slowly helps, but this will be long fight.

thumbs_36183-428822-23_At_Herman_Miller_Studio_7_5_revisits_its_wildly_popular_Mirra_more_than_1_5_million_sold_since_2003_with_Mirra_2_.jpg.748x748_q100.jpg

State of art...

Edited by RyderSK

• 2 weeks later...

They forgot to mention other important features like the integral Port-a-Potty unit attached to the bottom and the built-in programmable computer VAL (Vray Archviz Logic computer) that says:

"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't disengage the wrist locks until the rendering is completed."

(they're attached to cables that allow you to work mouse and KB)

Edited by heni30

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here are some useful tips:

Share these tips with employees to help them decrease how much time they spend sitting:

• Create an alert on your phone or computer to remind you to stand for one to two minutes every 30 minutes.

• Do not bring your exercise ball to the office. Use the well-designed task chair you have in place and use the exercise ball in the gym.

• Stand during impromptu meetings.

• Take your phone calls in a standing position.

• Move your printer off of your desk and out of reach so you have to stand and walk to access printed material.

• Don’t email a co-worker. Stand up and talk to them.

• Use the dynamic modes built into your task chair. Move the lever which allows the chair to rock during long phone conversations and meetings or when reviewing documents.