[First Timer] TROUBLE AND DOUBTS THREAD

izumiaiko

Take the glass pane and drag it toward the camera to the center and render it there to see if it is the same. The material appears fine. If it render bad after dragging it to the center, redraw it and try again.

Edit:

Yes, redraw it. I was able to recreate your problem by after having a good clear glass I made a copy of the glass plane and left it on top of the original. The problem is called coplanar faces.:p

Edited by Ismael
adding info

You need to work on all of your materials, the floors look to reflective and it's hard to tell what's going on with the back wall. The bitmap your using for an environment outside needs to be changed it's just a blurry blob, I'd just close that door. Try varying the lighting to give more contrast.

okay.

I had tried different ways to solve the problem but to no avail. I cannot seems to get my rendering to look "realistic" and "noise-free".

Please help!

I am in need of dire help here!

This is my rendering:

k645.jpg

The following is my settings:

COMMON

iwei.jpg

VRAY

ncup.jpg

53ob.jpg

Render settings and noise settings have very little to do with photo-realism. You'll just be wasting your time trying different GI, DMC, etc when the basics are still missing.

Look at real photography and other references, see how things are lit in the real world, then replicate that in 3D.

For me your main problem is the lighting, it's very flat, no contrast or direction. A good work-flow is to break up the process into stages, so first is modelling and camera position, then once you're happy with that apply a grey material to everything, and set-up your lighting, then apply materials, then tweak everything again.

Dean

Render settings and noise settings have very little to do with photo-realism. You'll just be wasting your time trying different GI, DMC, etc when the basics are still missing.

Look at real photography and other references, see how things are lit in the real world, then replicate that in 3D.

For me your main problem is the lighting, it's very flat, no contrast or direction. A good work-flow is to break up the process into stages, so first is modelling and camera position, then once you're happy with that apply a grey material to everything, and set-up your lighting, then apply materials, then tweak everything again.

Dean

Okay thanks! :D

But how do I remove/reduce the noise in my rendering? :(

There is a little noise but like Dean said that's not the problem, he's exactly right the lighting is too bright and hard you should dial it down quite a bit. You have a lot of blown out areas in the rendering where the detail is being lost, reducing the light will help them show up. Sunlight doesn't have to blast everything in the space, try angling the light so that it's only directly shining on about 10% of the space.

hihi!

Thank you for your kindest help!

The following is my changes and 2nd perspective I had done trying to follow yours and Dean's help!

As it is my very first time getting used to Vray (Without any tutor / Real-life help), hopefully I am not doing any grave mistake / rendering

4q33.jpg

nv9h.jpg

Hey, the most distracting thing in the 1st render is that tile or wood base under the counters. It's cut off strangely at the corners and it's basically a barrier to people coming up to the counter. On most counters you have a base that is recessed back; not sticking forward. That one thing is yelling "beginner". The conference room table is washed out. Normally you would have the edges being darker than the top and the sides of the edges getting darker. You rug looks unnatural - you can't see the texture clearly.

The walls look good but you would normally have light fixtures shining down on the table and chairs. Just look google "conference room" and look at pictures. That will give you all the information you will need.

Hey, the most distracting thing in the 1st render is that tile or wood base under the counters. It's cut off strangely at the corners and it's basically a barrier to people coming up to the counter. On most counters you have a base that is recessed back; not sticking forward. That one thing is yelling "beginner". The conference room table is washed out. Normally you would have the edges being darker than the top and the sides of the edges getting darker. You rug looks unnatural - you can't see the texture clearly.

The walls look good but you would normally have light fixtures shining down on the table and chairs. Just look google "conference room" and look at pictures. That will give you all the information you will need.

Omg exactly about the light washing down on conference room! I had been trying my best to insert IES light but no matter what intensity I used it just doesnt show up the "shine". It is as good as not putting any IES at all. :(

The 2nd image has potential, the composition is OK, and there is potential with the lighting. I like the shadows being cast from the laptop, and the direction the light is coming from, so I'd work on that and add more contrast.

You might wanna check the scale of the chairs though.

The 2nd image has potential, the composition is OK, and there is potential with the lighting. I like the shadows being cast from the laptop, and the direction the light is coming from, so I'd work on that and add more contrast.

You might wanna check the scale of the chairs though.

Okay! Thank you so much!! :D

I am now trying ways to fix my reception IES light and at the same time placing IES on my conference room for a contrasting lighting. Not forgettig the proportion of my chairs too! :)

Will upload once I had rendered both.

Thanks again! :D

Hi designers,

May I know how to like apply a background in 3D Max so I can render a complete scene without looking fake-ish like the ones using Photoshop?

I want to like apply this piece of furniture to this environment.

Please guide me someone! :(

Scene:

1dba.jpg

Furniture to replace existing:

ol4a.jpg

Have you used the search function? Look for "camera matching" and "photo montage".

Dean

Hihi! I am doing the search now... Did not know the exact word for this sort of animation.

Anyway, I tried searching for way to do 2D "technical drawing" using 3D Max. May I know is there any function on 3D Max Design 2014 which has the same capability as Rhino where we can just change the 3D Drawing into 2D Technical Drawing and annotate with dimensions and all?

Or is there any way to do that with 3D Max Design 2014 as the main platform for this transition?

Thanks alot! So sry for the trouble!

I had tried the following method but it simply just crashed my laptop.... :(

1) Export your model from 3dsmax as an .OBJ wavefront file

2) Open Rhino and import your OBJ

3) Scale and check everything is how you want it

-- Right now it is a mesh not a polysurface / nurbs so it can not make 2d.

Hence your problem.

4) Select your mesh and type MeshtoNURB, and it will convert each and every polygon into an individual surface

(Supposedly I have to do this step if the above step works; but mine just crashes my laptop!)

5) Rotate your perspective view, and type Make2D. Now it will work

Hence your problem.

4) Select your mesh and type MeshtoNURB, and it will convert each and every polygon into an individual surface

(Supposedly I have to do this step if the above step works; but mine just crashes my laptop!)

IMO you should consider a little bit different workflow. Maybe creating your 3D drawings in Revit Architecture or AutoCAD Architecture, and then use this tool in order to link your model.

a0cfg7.jpg

Note that this is different from import since every change made can be reloaded to max without loss of assigned materials and whatever else messes up.

Also, Adobe Illustrator is capable of importing DWG files for further and more accurate editing the and placing the furniture etc.

I recommend these 2D models. Bought all their albums and my clients love it.

If you still want to render 3D floor plans in 3Ds Max + Vray, make sure you render only with ambient light, since shadows ruin the whole thing.

To render an orthographic view:

1. Place a Max Standard Camera in scene and set it to Orthographic Projection.

2. Open Environments and Effect (8) and set Exposure Control to Vray Exposure Control.

Hence your problem.

What are you actually trying to do? I'm lost!