Assigning Multiple UVW Maps to a single Editable Poly Geometry - Help!

jeremyvandyke

Hi,

I'm fairly new to this - I'm an architect working on a piece of woodwork for a chapel I am designing. It consists of faceted wood panels oriented at different angles towards the center of a large crucifix. I am trying to have the wood grain in the attached screens to all be rotated at different degrees as if to radiate from the center point. What I have done is as follows (looked at a thread elsewhere from someone with a similar problem - apparently I misunderstood the advice):

1. All wood panels are editable poly. different Polygon ID's have been assigned to each panel, 1 through 8.

2. I have created 8 different UVW maps, and assigned a channel to each based on the panel they relate to, 1 through 8.

3. Aligned the gizmo's for each map as necessary to achieve the desired effect

4. Rendered and noticed that all of my work didn't do a thing.

Can anyone provide a tip as to what I can do to achieve the result I am looking for?

Thanks,

Chapel Panels .jpg

Chapekl Panels 2.jpg

I should do this manually, if there are not so much this wood panels.

Select poly

Select desired element /poly element or face or whatever.../

While selection is active, so it means marked by red.... > Apply new UVW map, it will be applied ONLY on selected elemet within Poly object.

I hope I was clear.

Good luck!

if ive read correctly, you could add a series of edit polys and add uvws.

SO - select facet wood panel A - then add a UVw map and position texture accordingly. Add another edit poly, select face wood panel B, then add another UVW map and position texture accordingly and so on and so on.

Hi,

I'm fairly new to this - I'm an architect working on a piece of woodwork for a chapel I am designing. It consists of faceted wood panels oriented at different angles towards the center of a large crucifix. I am trying to have the wood grain in the attached screens to all be rotated at different degrees as if to radiate from the center point. What I have done is as follows (looked at a thread elsewhere from someone with a similar problem - apparently I misunderstood the advice):

1. All wood panels are editable poly. different Polygon ID's have been assigned to each panel, 1 through 8.

2. I have created 8 different UVW maps, and assigned a channel to each based on the panel they relate to, 1 through 8.

Can anyone provide a tip as to what I can do to achieve the result I am looking for?

Thanks,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51670[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51671[/ATTACH]

So I tried this recommendation:

"Select polygons by element and then apply separate UVW maps to each separate selection. The new UVW map will apply on to the selected polygons".

This doesn't seem to have worked. I have applied 3 separate UVW maps to three different elements in this image. Only the last UVW map I applied seems to be applying. Is there a step I have missed? The only thing that I could think of that may be interfering in my work flow is that the original polylines for this model are from a linked autoCAD file....

Chapoel Panels 3.jpg

under edit poly mode, select the polygons that you want to map specifically, then as its selected, add a uvw map. then on top of that, add another edit poly, select the other polygons that you want uvw mapped and then add another uvw map and so on. It should work as i do it all the time.

so your modifier stack should be something like:

uvw map (positioned accordingly)

edit poly (with specific polygons selected)

TIP - when selecting polygons and adding UVW maps, its hard to see the material in the viewport as the polygons are highlighted - press F2, this will select the borders of the polygon selected which will allow you to see the texture

So I tried this recommendation:

"Select polygons by element and then apply separate UVW maps to each separate selection. The new UVW map will apply on to the selected polygons".

This doesn't seem to have worked. I have applied 3 separate UVW maps to three different elements in this image. Only the last UVW map I applied seems to be applying. Is there a step I have missed? The only thing that I could think of that may be interfering in my work flow is that the original polylines for this model are from a linked autoCAD file....

Edited by scostumatu

under edit poly mode, select the polygons that you want to map specifically, then as its selected, add a uvw map. then on top of that, add another edit poly, select the other polygons that you want uvw mapped and then add another uvw map and so on. It should work as i do it all the time.

so your modifier stack should be something like:

TIP - when selecting polygons and adding UVW maps, its hard to see the material in the viewport as the polygons are highlighted - press F2, this will select the borders of the polygon selected which will allow you to see the texture

Just like this!

When you select polygone, just apply UVW, with poligon selected, do not close edit poly modifier! So, leave it opened and marked red the polygon.

Than just apply new UVW...and make it few times, how many times do you need.

Almost same like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXfYsIXxBkw

But he is working on edit mesh, its no matter, its the same as edit poly for your need, and nas only one polygone/UVW variation, and you'll have 4-5....

Yes, the video has some boring adds...

...Is there a step I have missed? ....
Edited by okmijun

Hi,

Thanks,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51670[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]51671[/ATTACH]

Just unwrap every panel to a separate UV island and rotate them 45 degrees to match grain texture.

wood_UV.jpg

Another way I would go about it, although more troublesome, is to :

1. apply a uvw map on the whole object.

2. have a different material ID assigned on each face.

4. apply a multi/sub-object material.

5. rotate the material manually in each sub-object material

Although you have 8 panels, I think that you just need 4 different material ID for the object. (image attached)

I hope this isn't too confusing.

Chapel Panels2 .jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I use the multiple edit poly and uvw stack method myself, but since we're throwing out different methods, here's another:

Detatch each polygon/face to its own object. Apply and rotate UVW to each as needed (easiest to do the first, then copy/paste the uvw mod to the next and rotate). Group them together to make positioning/rotation/scaling easier, or collapse the stack of one poly (this is important), then simply attach the other polys to turn it back into a single object. The UVW mapping will remain when attached.

Good luck!