Business plan

yuriisuhov

Hey there, its been about a year since I started to think about my own freelancing (which Im doing locally), website, portfolio, international work etc. While idea is clear, path is sort of clear too, the problem I have is with execution. I know theres point in making a website when you have a good portfolio, its hard to make a great portfolio with commisioned projects, since most of the time Im clearly not happy with design and therefore with final 3Ds. And so it all adds ups - no portfolio- no website etc. what would be your suggestion to organize all this stuff into TODO list or something similar? I really think I need some sort of business plan, otherwise all those ideas are just wondering somewhere while Im circling somewhere else.

It's always good to get things down on paper, and add, edit, change it over time.

As for portfolio, I just did several personal projects, aimed at my target market to get paid work. I still do it now too, as like you some, paid work = money, but doesn't always make pieces of portfolio work.

Dean

• 8 months later...

Yup, we were recently having the same dilemma at the office. So we looked at the past projects that could be reworked to present better on the website, with the minimal of work. We made a list of the best candidates, and prioritised the order in which they should be tackled. As and when any downtime is available, it is being invested in further developing these scenes/images.

That said, as a business, ideally you don't want downtime, as that means your not being paid. For me, a longer term strategy is to only accept jobs with portfolio potential. This means saying no to bread and butter work, which is difficult, but it is a matter of personal priorities.

Edited by TomasEsperanza

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and new to arch viz, coming from a drafting background I am keen do do some more creative work. I have spent the last couple of months learning 3ds max and vray and I am currently working on my portfolio.

Regarding a website, my philosophy on this is to focus on the things that is most likely to bring clients. A great portfolio is more likely to bring in work than a poor portfolio on a great website, so focus your efforts on that.

I completely agree with Tomas's idea of improving work you have already done. As I am a complete beginner I struggle with whether to just work on one scene getting everything perfect or set my self deadlines and churn out work that I'm not completely happy with to evolve a workflow that I am comfortable with and then improve from there.

• 2 weeks later...

done. As I am a complete beginner I struggle with whether to just work on one scene getting everything perfect or set my self deadlines and churn out work that I'm not completely happy with to evolve a workflow that I am comfortable with and then improve from there.

asad