V-Ray and photo realistic rendering problem

angelocleef

My last post crashed so I repost it here, hopefully any of the admins can fix the issue :o

Hi readers,

I am currently learning V-Ray and I am having some issues archieving high realism. Besides the fact that my materials are 'bad' my main problem is getting the lighting right.

I downloaded a model and added the lights myself. The result is this:

good.jpg

This is bad compared to the stuff you guys make, but for me it is a pritty nice start I think.

Then I made a model myself, used the exact same settings and added the lights but the result is crap lol (didnt spent time modelling, I just wanted to learn the lightning). I know using 'good' materials matter a lot, but besides the materials the lightning is very poor. Everything is kinda dark and nothing like the first render I did.

bad.jpg

(sorry for the brightness, output gamma was set wrong, normally this turns out very dark)

I had to put the shutter speed on 10 to make everything not so dark, and the walls and everything are "white" but turn out much warmer i.e. orange / brown-ish. Compared to the first render (1st picture) where white is still white and the shutter speed is on 30.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong, and how I can fix this (what settings) so I know what to look for in the future?

Well, there's a lot more to this than what you probably think. Troubleshooting with different render passes is a good clue, but first you might want to know what to look for. And that's what I mean with a "whole lot". Look around for comprehensive papers and books about vray. As you dive into it, the deeper you find yourself. :cool: