Boss asked for spec sheet from me.

I have virtually no idea what I'm looking for in the way of hardware for 3d modelling, I don't want to take the mick but my boss has asked me to knock out a spec for a computer that will do my job. I will be using sketchup for a property development company and he wants to be able to make good renders. To give you a sense of scale for budget, he is intending on getting me (us?) Rat 7 computer mice. Question is, how far can I push CPUs and GPUs? Should I ask just for what would do the job (whatever that means) or the bestest, fastest tech to get rendering done quicker? Although initially it will be stills, we will be going into animations, fly throughs and such. What is the highest end limit before it's just throwing money away? Surely there is a point where you're no longer really gaining per £ what you were from the beginning. I am utterly lost but I don't want to make it look like I haven't tried.

You should do a search in this mere website, there is tons of thread talking about computer specs for different software.

as a short answer, Sketchup is not the best rendering software, it is a modeler, if you already use it, you know what I am talking about.

Second Sketchup still 32 bits only, so if you spend money in a high end machine it won't do much difference than a regular work station, sketchup will only use 3 Gig RAM Max, and any Game video card will do. The most you can get out of sketchup is with a faster CPU instead many cores, so if you pay for a 6x Xeon at 2.1 will run actually slower than a i7 @4.1 Ghz

If you want quality renders you will need to invest in V Ray for Sketchup, then you can use more RAM and some extra cores, but still memory limit in scene will be your pain.

If your boss want to invest in the future I would buy a bigger 3D Software, Such 3D Max, or cinema 4D or MODO or similar, then you can plan in Double processors or multy core CPUs with lots and lost of RAM.

If your Boss think you can do better renders with a Rat 7 computer mice, he really don't know what he is talking about.

I think this all depends on your needs - you need to be a bit more specific how much speed is needed, which renderer you will use, if you want to have all this power in one box or if network rendering is an option and of course your price limit. For me the "sweet spot" is a socket 2011 i7, because i can overclock it. But i think a 2 CPU system is also worth its price if you don't want to deal with render nodes.

Basically i think there are three price ranges (for single GPU and air cooling):

- a core i7 (or Xeon) quad core (socket 1050) for maybe ~800-1200£ (excl. VAT)

starting with something like this: http://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=WL-441407

- a core i7 (or Xeon) hexa core (or octo core in a few weeks/ s2011)) ~1100-2000£

http://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=WL-378907

- a dual Xeon system with at least two higher clocked hexa cores or better octo cores (s2011) and up to 2x 12 cores (Haswell-EP with up to 18 cores) ~3000£-XXXX£

http://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=WL-455236

(for the parts only - if you buy from someone like BOXX i think you can easily double the prices)

For a workstation i would take a CPU with a high single core performance, especially for Sketchup. Concerning your price/performance question i think for the i7 (s1050 and 2011) you can buy the top end CPUs (excluding the 4960X), a 4790K (quadcore), 4930K (hexacore) or the upcoming 5820K/5930K (hexacore) or 5960X (octocore).

For a 2 CPU system i think a high clocked 8 or 10 core Xeon is the best choice for a workstation.

From the upcoming Haswell-EP Xeons the 14 core Xeon E5-2697 v3 looks quite interesing with a single core turbo of 3,7GHz or the 2687W v3 10-core, but we'll have to wait for the all-core turbo specs and off course the prices... :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Xeon_microprocessors#.22Haswell-EP.22_.2822_nm.29_Efficient_Performance_2

And for a 2 CPU system i think 8x8=64GB RAM would be more reasonable.

Edited by numerobis

Thank you numerobis. Yes the lack of detail isn't helpful. I may have to assume, but there are so many renderers out there, can I take anything, like vray,.as just an example? Do the requirements of the renderers vary as much as the options out there?

Francisco: your answer would probably have been useful if it wasn't so rude. I never said the choice of mouse had anything to do with rendering. Obviously the technical capabilities of the mouse relates to the ease of modelling, not the quality of the render. Secondly, Sketchup is what is being used, and that's that. No need to be a snob and have a whine about the choice. It doesn't achieve anything. You know the saying 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'? Well your pointless reply was an example of wasted time. Except to look big by attempting to diminish other people. Most people grew out of that after school, because it's childish, and it only served to demonstrate your poor understanding of the English language. Don't reply to me again.

If your Boss think you can do better renders with a Rat 7 computer mice, he really don't know what he is talking about.

Francisco: your answer would probably have been useful if it wasn't so rude. I never said the choice of mouse had anything to do with rendering. Obviously the technical capabilities of the mouse relates to the ease of modelling, not the quality of the render. Secondly, Sketchup is what is being used, and that's that. No need to be a snob and have a whine about the choice. It doesn't achieve anything. You know the saying 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'? Well your pointless reply was an example of wasted time. Except to look big by attempting to diminish other people. Most people grew out of that after school, because it's childish, and it only served to demonstrate your poor understanding of the English language. Don't reply to me again.

How did you manage to extrapolate so much (completely false ) stuff from single joke sentence at the end of helpful post ? And even then, joke given at your boss's account, not yours. And a very fitting one too.

Language consists of understanding too.

Edited by RyderSK

Thank you numerobis. Yes the lack of detail isn't helpful. I may have to assume, but there are so many renderers out there, can I take anything, like vray,.as just an example? Do the requirements of the renderers vary as much as the options out there?

Well I dont think you'll get too far responding to advice like that.

I think we should cut this argument and get to the point.

As long as you use 32bit software there isn't much you can do about it. You are limited to 3.25GB ram and you can't take a benefit of a 2P system.

You need to close up some things - make sure sketchup is not 32bit only. If it supports 64bit then your options are limited only with budget.

Otherwise, consider 64bit software for rendering and keep modeling in sketchup.2 There are plenty, just pick one.

Francisco actually made some good points.

Unless this information is outdated. (about 32bit and stuff)

Vray 2.0 for sketchup has the external spawner able to run @ 64bit and utilize more than 3.2GB or RAM when rendering in distributed rendering mode - but the latest Sketchup 2014 itself is still 32bit, much like all previous versions.

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to add a little things to note if your boss want to further make render rather than just modeling:

Higher clock CPU is better than core/thread counts, eg: single CPU i7 3930 ( 4 core: you get 8 thread, above 3 Ghz clock speed) will render faster than single Xeon X5670 (6 core: you get 12 thread, under 3 Ghz clock speed). But i7 heat faster and higher than Xeon, meaning Xeon class manage heat better and so the durability.

Maybe you've meant 3770/4770/4790, as 3930 is a hex core w/HT = 6C/12T just like 6C/12T Xeons.

There is little "magic" in Xeons -at least the "sub-$2200 / sub 10C" ones. For the last few generations the architecture has been identical with the i7s sharing the same socket. E3 s1150 Xeons are exactly the same architecture with Haswell i7.

The s2011 Hex i7 was coming from the same production line that would give s2011 Xeons up to 8C, with a couple of cores and/or some cache being disabled (usually they laser cut the electric connections to the unused portions of the die, rendering it useless, an un-charged piece of silicon within the CPU packaging).

Xeons run cooler simply because Xeons are clocked lower than the equivalent i7s.

Yes, there is some cherry picking with Xeons that qualifies the best chips for higher clocks, but that immediately makes them run hotter.

The only niche Xeon maintain is if you workstation has to have ECC ram, or has to be 2P.

ECC is becoming less and less important in the CG world which is taken by storm in the form of notably faster stock i7s and/or even overclocked i7s that bring to the table single threaded / lightly threaded performance that won't be available in the Xeon lineup for years to come. ECC "might be" valuable for some, higher speeds that are still darn reliable are valuable for ALL.

And then, there is the utility of a 2P / Multicore workstation. If you have access to resources for buyign and networking even the smallest render farm, a 2P system is unnecessary.

Give yourself a Titan graphics card if you plan on using GPU rendering like V-Ray RT or Lumion. Opt for a large monitor if the boss likes to sit over your shoulder and design while you model.

Dont forget to factor in software costs-

SketchUp Pro - $700

VRay for SketchUp - $850

Adobe Photoshop (at a minimum, but you should push for the Suite) - $800

Do you access to AutoCAD or Revit, add that cost in also. $4-5K

Give yourself a Titan graphics card if you plan on using GPU rendering like V-Ray RT or Lumion. Opt for a large monitor if the boss likes to sit over your shoulder and design while you model.

Dont forget to factor in software costs-

SketchUp Pro - $700

VRay for SketchUp - $850

Adobe Photoshop (at a minimum, but you should push for the Suite) - $800

Do you access to AutoCAD or Revit, add that cost in also. $4-5K

Actually licenses can be transferred. You don't have to buy everything again.