Overclocking MY I7 4930 - Please help

Hi there

I recently had a PC put together for me and I have the following specs:

i74930

32 gig ram

Noctua ND 14 FAN

GTX 780 6gig EVGA

x79 sabertooth Motherboard

Anyway, how would I overclock this? Is it best to go through the ASUS TurboV or through BIOS? Going through BIOS, I have no idea what to do so does anyone have any ideas how I should do this?

Also, what CPU temperatures should I be looking out for in terms of being worried my CPU is going to die?

At the moment it idles at around 30 degrees celcius and under load its around 51 degrees celcius

Thanks

Simon

Noctua nd 14 is a good air cooler for overclocking. And the successor, the nd-15 is one of the best air coolers today, capable of beating good water coolers.

How high you can overclock and what temps you should get, it all heavily depends on whether or not you have a good chip for overclocking and how hot it is where you live and what kind of case you have and of course the choice of your cpu cooler. You can get a chip that can do 4.8 ghz, but you also can get a chip that will do only 4.1 ghz. Try to keep the temps below 80 degree celsius, but intel says the chip is allowed to hit a TJmax of 95C.

If you are not confident enough about overclocking your cpu just leave everything at stock speeds and gradually get into the matter of overclocking. Take your time. I would advise you to learn how to overclock manually. Google it. There is so much info out there about overclocking with your asus x79 mobo with a i7 4930k.

Personally If I had a chip that would do 4.8 I would still put it at 4.2-4.5 because after a point the performance gain is minimal, but temperatures rises quickly as well energy consumption and heat. In the case of overclocking to 4.5 the extra power consumption could be, I think, an extra 100 watts during maximum cpu load.

Just my 2 cents.

Hi Joel

Thanks for your response. Ill take that all on board and look into it. Interesting to see how getting it closer to 5.0 has little performance gain vs power output vs danger to CPU failure.... 4.5 sounds good enough to me :)

The 4930K is a poor overclocker and really no fun to clock - compared to the 3930K. I have two of them running on air - one at 4.2GHz and the other at 4,3GHz. They run VERY hot and everything above these values requested much higher voltages which were not managable with air cooling. When i have time maybe i will try again, but at the moment i leave it at these values.

Depending on the chip more than 4,3-4,4GHz normally can only be achieved normally with good a custom water loop. And 4,8GHz... forget it. Only ~2% of the chips can do this (@1.4v)...

You can try with the auto overclocking features of your board, but personally i don't trust them. They normally set higher voltages than needed and some of them (VCCSA and VTT) are critical and will result in a much faster degradation or damage of the CPU http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19926-3930K-C2-Degradation.

Here are some general 4930K/3930K guides:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?44467-Overclocking-Tips-Beginner-and-Advanced-Guide-to-Overclocking&country=&status=

http://www.overclock.net/t/1189242/sandy-bridge-e-overclocking-guide-walk-through-explanations-and-support-for-all-x79-overclockers

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18476907

http://archive.benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=834&Itemid=3

There are much more guides, but i don't remember them all... just google it.

Generally i try to stay below vcore 1.375v, VCCSA and VTT 1.1v and 70°-75°C for normal usage (maybe for stress testing temps can go up to 80-85°)

I use Intel Burn Test or LinX with AVX for fast testing ...and Maxwell Render for long stability tests :D (v3 seems is very sensible to slightly instable systems - more than v2)

Extra cooling for the VRMs can help.

Lots of overclocking guides on the internet. Just make sure it is a haswell guide. I have mine at 4.5ghz with a D-14 but I think I am going to back it down a touch to 4.4 or 4.3 because I am running 68* constantly during the summer.

Make sure that before you start you have a stable system. If you start OCing on a system that is unstable at stock speeds then you will be chasing your tail looking for answers when really it was something silly like not setting up your RAM correctly. My 32gb of Corsair Vengeance LP gave me nothing but problems but I thought it was the CPU because Prime 95 would just fail. Finally increased ram voltages slightly and it has been rock solid ever since.

?

Oh man, haven't gotten enough sleep this week. 4930k is IVY but my point is to use a guide that is for the same architecture so that it is comparable to the processor you are going to be overclocking. If he followed a 3930k guide for example the safe voltage limits and such would be higher than what is actually save to run on the 4930k.