Vray 3D Plant Interoperability between 3dsmax and Rhino Suggestions

erikbroberg

Hi,

I am currently searching for my first plant package for Vray for Rhino and later 3dsMax. Vray for Rhino now supports vrmesh which is nice, but there are no packages with that format I can find. If the package only contains .obj files with materials I can deal with that, but am wondering, a) Is there a better way to transfer 3ds max trees and b) do you have any recommendations for a nice tree package (with palm trees mostly tropical), shrubs, and flowers etc... at a price that is under 200 USD?

Thank you in advance.

Erik

Erik, I think there is a misunderstood of concepts. When you buy 3D Plans, they usually come in different format, this format are native 3D software based and sometimes setup for specific render engines such V Ray, Mental Ray and so on, and other format that are "Standard" to fit most of the 3D software, such OBJ, 3Ds, Collada, FBX and others.

Let say you get Evermotion trees, they are pretty nice quality and they come in many 3D software format and some setup for V Ray, Mental Ray, VRay for Cinema 4D and other.

If you buy a 3D Tree and is is in OBJ format only, it won't keep the material properties of the render engine, it will only keep the texture and UV info and basic material properties, such transparency and spectacular, but this depends also of the software.

With all these in mind, when you purchase a 3D Plant, try to buy the one who give you the most compatibility and possibilities, once you import in your 3D software then you can setup the materials at your need, if the plants does not come already setup for your software, such RHINO. after you have your model in your 3D package you can save in any format you want to exchange with other 3D packages, but always there will be a trade of loosing material properties. In the near future Chaos group will release the new Vrmesh format that will keep the materials properties between all the 3D packages that use VRay as render engine. that will be a great solution for this problem.

Just google 3D Plants and you'll find lot of options, Turbosquid, Evemotion, XFrog, Itrees between others.

good luck.

Thank you for your responses. I am looking at a plant package that has .obj as well as 3Dmax etc... I will convert to rhino objects manually, but I wish there was a faster method... Oh well.

On another note, any recommendations for a bundle that has shrubs, palms, flowers, etc for around 200 usd? All the bundles I have found are specific to a certain type of vegetation. Thank you

Well the close to what you are looking for are the Evermotion collections, they come with a variety of plants, grass and bushes. If you need something more specific you can buy per plant on XFrog. You can look in to cornucopia3d.com but since it is community based, the quality of the plants varies a lot.

Like everything there is not one click solution, I own several collections and bought several of single plants during the years that's pretty much how it works.