Modeling Furniture

markf

I typically am provided with a single catalog type photo of a chair/sofa/light fixture with some HxWxD dimensions listed. I need to create a model based on that photo.

My question is does anyone bring these single shot, usually 3 point perspective, photos into max and use then as a reference to build the model to? IOW if there was a straight on front view and another straight on side view, then no problem. Map the front and side views to planes, size correctly and then use those as guides to model from.

Unfortunately I almost never receive a straight on , orthographic type reference photo. They are almost always a single, 3 point perspective shot. How or do you use that in Max? Try to stretch/skew the photo in photoshop to make a front and or/or side view? Rotate the model in Max to try to match the perspective of the photo and then model using local and parent coordinates? Just use the as a visual comparison and do not use as a direct modeling guide? TIA.

I have included and example of the type of reference photo I often receive.

bed-chair-source.jpg

Edited by markf

Just model it and use your best guess where needed. There are pretty much typical chair dimensions you can draw from.

Instead of monkeying around with images, I'll create reference boxes that are usually the overall height,length/width. Then create some guides for the arm height and seat height. Mostly, I'll fake it if I need to. No one will ever really tell anyways and getting far too in depth with furniture modeling will suck all of the hours out of your budget.

Just model it and use your best guess where needed. There are pretty much typical chair dimensions you can draw from.

Instead of monkeying around with images, I'll create reference boxes that are usually the overall height,length/width. Then create some guides for the arm height and seat height. Mostly, I'll fake it if I need to. No one will ever really tell anyways and getting far too in depth with furniture modeling will suck all of the hours out of your budget.

Same here. I bring the image in just to look at proportions. Nice furniture companies usually list seat height, arm height, and overall height so that definitely helps.

Thank you Scott. That is what I have been doing and I also create a reference box (see thru) for WxDxH. I have always wondered if I was unaware of some technique for "modeling in perspective" or some such thing. I'm modeling a bunch of furniture and fixtures now and decided to finally ask about this.

thanks again for your reply!