Hardest part of starting out?

B.Klopp85

Good morning,

I am in the "process" of starting a viz. department at the architectural firm that I work for. I have financial backing and the hardware necessary to begin, but I have to get numbers and begin to write a business plan. I am wondering what hardships most have noticed when starting these departments or even going free-lance. The more I know now the better right ?

Thanks in advance. :cool:

One problem you'll face is the reluctance of other Architects to give you work once they find out your company is imbedded in a rival firm. The only way you can keep this from happening is to completely separate yourself from the parent company. If you don't you'll also be faced with situations where the parent firm needs work done but your too busy to handle it. Assuming the parent company is your biggest client you'll be faced with a dilemma that could turn out to be a company killer.

If the goal is trying to prove to the ownership that an internal viz dept will be profitable serving only internal clients, then it's a fools errand. If the goal is to create a viz studio entity serving needs outside the studio, Devin's comments apply. It's extremely rare to make that work. If the viz entity is proficient enough to pull clients from other firms and function as a profit center, then the founders quickly jump ship to go on their own. Better to turn down the one firm and serve 12 than to have to tell 12 firms 'no' in service to the one.