Autodesk going RENTAL ONLY in 2 years

Autodesk Senior Vice President of Industry Strategy and Marketing Andrew Anagnost

Perpetual software licenses will be discontinued in stages over the next 12 to 24 months, according to Anagnost. "This isn't going to be an event," he said. "This is going to be a transition where we work on products and regions as we remove new perpetual licenses from the offering mix."
Means:

pay to be able to open your work files , even if you decided that the last lackluster updates are totally not worth it ...

Source:

http://cgpress.org/archives/autodesk-to-go-subscription-based-only.html?ed=3ds

http://www.studiodaily.com/2014/10/autodesk-plans-to-go-subscription-only-over-next-one-to-two-years/?utm_source=feedly&utm_reader=feedly&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=autodesk-plans-to-go-subscription-only-over-next-one-to-two-years

Well we alike it or not, Software rental is the trend and pretty much the future with all software, even Microsoft if thinking to move to some sort of rental for Windows, plus all the "new cloud" based software, so yea.

Autodesk subscription is already pretty similar the only difference that you can stay in your old 3D Max copy, but sooner than later you'll start having compatibility issue.

As a freelancer, rental is a good option to get the job done, is not a good investment but a option to have access to high end software. As long you can put your cost in the bill of the project is not that bad, any ways you don't own the software, Autodesk does not let you sell it so you are screw one way u other :p

I remember when we were about to light the torches and storm the Adobe gates for going full subscription. I've got to say, I've been 1,000% happy with what Adobe has done with the CC program. Photoshop gets awesome updates and in a timely manner.

Granted, it's up to Autodesk to follow the Adobe model, but don't discount it outright. I'm sure Autodesk might get some blowback from the massive game and film companies that are still on older copies of Max/Maya as they don't or can't update their pipeline each and every year.

Though my take on it is that they will stop new perpetual licenses. Meaning that if you want to stay on Max 20xx then you can but don't expect any support or additional hot fixes.

I remember when...

Adobe's software lease program does not force you to update any program, but if you want them to keep working you have to pay per month. I can't say I'm surprised about Autodesk (maybe) going this way. Is there really more money in this model? Perhaps. Sure, it freaks me out to think that my files will become hard-drive ballast if I don't make my protection payments, but there are pretty, shiny things all around, so I guess everything is just fine.

I kind of like the rental model. It allows me (poor student soon to start a small 1-man studio(I prefer that to the term ''freelancing'') to own softwares that otherwise I could not afford. At least not right off the bat! For example, at the moment I'm subscribing to adobe CC, Microsoft Office, Speedtree for UE4 and Unreal Engine 4. All 4 cost me about 75$/month. It's not that bad if it's the only expenses I'll have when I'm starting to get contracts. Even better when theses softwares come with cloud services, frequent updates, etc...

THIS is how you do a viewport :

bazzillion objects (trees with wind, foliage, rocks, huuuge terrain...water)

viewport.jpg

Edited by philippelamoureux

It's simple. Autodesk is going to do what Autodesk wants to do. You can either A) Adapt to it, or, B) Go find another software. I know that is like the "Well, if you don't like 'Merica you can git out." but in a sense it's true. You can't stop it. I can't stop it. Small shops can't stop it. Jesus can't stop it. Not even Superman can stop it.

The ONLY way Autodesk stops this or re-tools it, and we don't know all the details yet, is if someone like Epic, Blur, LEC, or Ubisoft pushes back and tells them this will break their pipelines. But who knows, maybe with a more rental based option they will be less pushed to throw out yearly releases that are broken and release updates as they are finished and are known to work. We can't sit here as assume that Autodesk is going to keep the same broke-ass model of break 10 things for every new feature they introduce.

There is more money in this model. If you have a company with 1,000's of licenses of Max/Maya and they buy 2010 and have been using it ever since, you've lost out on 5 years of money from them. For that company with 1,000's of licenses and a completely custom pipeline, it makes more than enough sense to stay on what you know works and don't rock the boat by continually upgrading.

• 2 weeks later...
What about keeping your subscription? Are they going to make you go on rental anyway? In otherwords, will I be able to stay on a subscription and not go rental?

As far i can see, Autodesk people are not clear about this themself - at least not those people who have to deal with customer feedback on the Area

As usual - top management care only about getting shareholders attention than instructing even their own people how this all got to work in reality ...

I would say the cost of the premium suite rental will be the same as the subscription cost a year €1250+ vat.

So no major difference.

What kills me is that I shelled out €5,000 at the start to get the packages and now you can shell out 41250 and get the same.

I would like a discount Autoshisters if your reading this.

Phil

I would say the cost of the premium suite rental will be the same as the subscription cost a year €1250+ vat.

So no major difference.

What kills me is that I shelled out €5,000 at the start to get the packages and now you can shell out 41250 and get the same.

I would like a discount Autoshisters if your reading this.

Phil

If AD are like Adobe, they will discount the rental fee for people already on Subscription.

I'm sure Autodesk might get some blowback from the massive game and film companies that are still on older copies of Max/Maya as they don't or can't update their pipeline each and every year.

My work updates every 3+ years because of all our custom tools, this will be a pain for our R&D team. We are still on Max 2011!

My work updates every 3+ years because of all our custom tools, this will be a pain for our R&D team. We are still on Max 2011!

I just tried this, I have not upgraded or paid a subscription for 2 years. Now they are basically saying that I have one last chance to fork up 2000 dollars per upgrade and do a subscription (I have 8 licenses) or go rental (which I can't since my computers are off internet) and overall I want to have my own copy rather than have to be connected to the internet. Anyhow, Blender seems to be a more and more enticing proposition by day!