Tips needed

henrikaberg

Scale and softness. Your room, door, couch, and, well, most objects, seem out of scale to reality. you should always model from typical dimensions if not the exact dimensions of what you are trying to model.

And by softness I just mean to include creases and natural elements to the furniture that is made from fabric.

I think this room needs some love. There's nothing drastically wrong with the render. Personally I'm not interested in seeing the left hand wall, the rear of the TV or the side of the shelves. If you are not being controlled by a client then think about the styling. Do you want to bring your friends or loved ones into this room to show it off? Will then be comfortable? it all feels a bit cold and awkward to me. Give it some love!

Hey!

Thanks for your opinions and tips.

I'll really study them, bring details to the pic and check the lights.

Hmm, I'm just wondering about the scales that Corey mentioned. I have really exact dimensions and measures from the client. And I have used those, so how does it still look for you that the dimensions are not real...Need to study that too.

how does it still look for you that the dimensions are not real...Need to study that too.

Because of the wide angle. Wide angle lenses distort perspective massively.

Whilst I agree with everybody elses comments, I think the biggest flaw here is the camera angle - it's terrible. How often do you think someone ventures to that corner of the room to look around? The camera angle is pointed down, and is so wide that you can see the walls on either side, coming from behind.

I would find an interesting camera angle first. I'd suggest a flat perspective (perpendicular to the walls), and if this doesn't show enough of the room - do a second render from another view. Better to have two decent views that show less, than one crappy view that shows it all.

I appreciate it is a small room, so perhaps have a read through this: http://www.designsponge.com/2013/10/photo-101-five-tips-for-shooting-interiors.html

I personally really try not to go below 24mm unless I really have to. Mind you, 24mm is very wide - keep in mind that it's the equivalent of a 24mm lens on a full frame sensor, not cropped/APS-C which would be more like 37.5mm.

The lowest I've gone down to is 18mm, but that was to achieve a slightly "artistic" effect.

Remember, you're after showing the room in its best light and you're in the unique position to be able to crop walls out of the way if you need to. Yes, it's cheating and no I don't do it - but hundreds of others do and get perfectly good results from it.

Yeah I have thought taking some walls of but these pics are pre-sale pics of an apartment which is under renovation at the moment. Pics should show for the customer how the apartment will be after the renovation and how big the rooms are. So that´s why I try not to take the walls of ;)

I think the dark areas of the image are almost too dark. Nothing is ever 100% black. There is a lack of detail, maybe overlaying a AO pass would help bring out some of the smaller details. I would up the reflection on the floor and tables, actually on almost everything in the scene, to get some interesting reflections.

I would also fix the keystoning, it is really noticeable and distracting in the both images.

Other than that I think some more props would fill it up and make it look more realistic and make it more approachable as a sales tool.

Ok, I had few minutes.

First of all, I did slight "re-lighting" in Photoshop to show how more attractive lighting in interior should look like.

If its' daylight, and you directly see nice sun outside, than in most cases, keep artificial lights (all lamps) off.

At the moment the issues was:

Not enough natural light coming from left (windows).

Too intense circular highlight in middle of the picture on the white wall.

I equliazed these with masked gradients on layers. But it should be corrected in render.

Is your paint glossy ? There seems to be odd reflection. Start with matte paints first. Get a good white value, like 180 +/- in RGB picker inside Max.

DON'T use ambient occlusion. If someone suggests it, ignore it. Ambient occlusion belongs to 2005 and looks its part.

Don't use (check OFF in Vray camera) Vignetting for render. If you need vignetting, do it in Photoshop, but make it much weaker for pure modern white space.

Correct your verticals. Slanted perspective can look more natural, but in most cases it's rather amateur instead.

oh_b_corrected.jpg