Getting paid

kristersgutmanis

There are hundreds threads here suggesting good contract, so that must be good start ;- )

But otherwise I am quite surprised by how many people have issues here, in 3 years I do stuff, I had none. I never used watermarks, low-res or anything, and I receive (the remainder after deposit) money on Net30 (with larger corporations, literally the last day, so 30 days after I sent finals), and I never had single issue (I also do with one exception almost no repeat work because I enjoy challenge and new stuff, so this is with quite few clients).

I often think it's quite obvious when you're dealing with serious party and when not, but, others might think different. But I would still start with good judgement...and then nicely laid contract :- ).

Thanks for the reply, i will check out the contracts.

Glad to hear that you had no issues, i think that positive thinking and attitude is the answer to all issues :)

You don't have one yet.. ? I do suggest the one from 3DATS (can be downloaded on this forum I am just never able to find the link quickly) and modify it to your needs (it's slightly outdated, and maybe too 'US', which isn't necessarily bad per se, it's sort of intimidating)

You don't have one yet.. ? I do suggest the one from 3DATS (can be downloaded on this forum I am just never able to find the link quickly) and modify it to your needs (it's slightly outdated, and maybe too 'US', which isn't necessarily bad per se, it's sort of intimidating)

Yep i work without a contract but i am looking to get one.

I found the 3DATS contract

Same here. The only time was the 2008 downturn when projects were stopped in their tracks half-finished. And even then it was just one client.

The big problem with smaller sized projects is that even if you do win a suit in Small Claims Court, say, they are lax in enforcing payment.

Edited by heni30

I never had any problems getting payed for a job since i started 4 years ago. Sometimes it took some time, but i think never longer than 4-5 weeks (normally a few days). And i don't have any contract.

Hm, I thought it is habbit only in Russia, Polska, Ukraina, Serbia...etc....

I agree with you, no contract is stronger than working with honoured people.

Same as Juraj. Ive been doing this over 15 years, never had a payment issue. Other than having to wait. And wait....

...and wait.

The biggest waiting is with large corporations, they just do not care about small vendors. They pay...at the end.

We will typically have that discussion with a new client and see what their payment schedule typically is and create the first proposal/contract accordingly. We prefer 50% down to start and 100% at completion, but if it is the practice of the client to pay NET 30 or if they do not like retainers, we will typically work with them to iron out the payment schedule that works for them. We then have an established plan each time we work with the client on future projects. This is also why a contract is a good thing, because this is where you spell out the payment schedule that is binding, and any penalties associated with paying late, etc.. It will sometimes help to find out when they do their monthly accounting, because the client will get your billing in on the next cycle. Best of luck.

whenever people post around the subject of difficult clients, tough pay or hard market conditions, the same people always come out with stories of how everything is absolutely fine for them and how they've never had problems.

Either these people are very lucky, they don't rely on viz work to pay their bills, or they are charging way below the market average.

Difficult clients are a fact of life in any business

The best way to deal with them is not to spend all your income from previous jobs and to keep a decent amount back as a contingency, to protect you from any problems when payment issues come up, as they inevitably will.

The other important thing I've learned is that no client is too valuable. If they're causing you personal financial problems by not paying, they are not a client worth keeping and should be pursued aggressively, with a lawyer if necessary, until they settle up. This is as true in arch viz as it is in finance, or dentistry, or farming.