Finding Employees

skala67

We are currently looking to hire our first round of employees (so glad things have turned around) Since our industry is so specialized and still rather small compared to the general job market, I was hoping for some advice of where the most effective sites would be to post with, to find solid arch viz talent. I am aware of the job board here on CGArchitect and will have that as one of the top considerations. So far we have only posted on free sites and social media. As you can expect, not much of a response, and the ones that have responded, they lack the experience. Our office is located in the US if that helps streamline.

Hopefully the suggestions and personal experiences can help other growing companies that are in the same boat.

I appreciate it and thank you in advance.

Cheers,

TJ

It's tough to find good employees out there. We're on a hiring push as well, and we're not having much luck either. Though we are the opposite. We've gotten overwhelmed with responses but there are very slim pickings in that pool.

One thing to keep in mind is that while their resume and portfolio might not be up to par, do they seem like they are willing to learn? Frankly that's just as hard of skill, and more important to us, to find as someone who is well versed in Max/Vray. If someone has a portfolio full of renders that are from school 4 years ago, they don't give off the feeling that they constantly keep up with their skills. Someone who has a up to date portfolio will at least get a callback for an initial interview. If they have that push to learn, we can teach them pretty quickly.

It's good and bad that most of the experienced people that got caught up in the downturn of 2008 are now employed again.

Scott.

I completely agree with you there as far as the willingness to learn coupled with good current work. Great to hear you are having a great year. One thing that makes it necessary to find someone willing to learn is the fact we use Cinema4D/Vray. I've worked in both so the crossover isn't too bad, but just need someone who is willing to learn, which may work out well for us. We of course aren't advertising that we use C4D, but looking for someone with 3ds or c4d experience. Software can be learned, artistic ability and passion can't be necessarily.

• 2 weeks later...

To be fair, what we do and the amount of skills required is pretty niche. Generally you want someone that is proficient in multiple pieces of complex software, a basic understanding of physics/ray tracing, a keen eye for photography, artistic skills and a general knowledge of how a building is put together!

That's a pretty tall order, really.

Our biggest issue is that not only do we need someone who has the artistic side, but they are often called upon to be the primary designer. They will be given a very rough massing model and how the structure looks falls upon them. We found that not everyone can be this sort of dual role. A lot of people like to focus on creating Wow! art, but would rather have all of the details given to them before hand. A lot of people would rather focus on the design, but making Wow! art is a secondary concern for them. Finding a person who can hybrid or learn to adapt the two can be tough.

That being said, I have to remind the decision makers here that it took me some time to adapt into the role here. I came from a visualization studio, so I was used to having 95% of the information given at the start of the project. We have found a quite a few good candidates after posting here on CGA. Our other big problem was that they kept posting this job on the architect sites and, well, we got a lot of architects to dabbled a bit in 3D in college. They were highly qualified on the architecture side, but we needed them to primarily work in the 3D and rendering role.

Denver is a great location so I'm surprised to learn you are having trouble finding qualified candidates.

It is a great location with great pools of talent. However, the architecture economy is on fire here. So people either already have jobs or it becomes a bidding war over the top choice with several other companies.

Edited by VelvetElvis

Hello there TJ and Scott.

Are both of you looking for someone to work locally or remotally?

I'm brazilian, right 25 year old and looking for opportunities to improve my skills in 3d visualization.

I graduated in architecture here in my hometown and got 2 years experience working as an independant architect.

Always had a lot of interest in 3d and did a whole lot of courses in this last years... Grant Warwick with mastering VRAY, Ciro Sannino on Learn Vray online, Reynaldo Handaya in 2G Academy and the next one will be State of Art MasterClass in may 2015. I guess I can say everyone that is willing to teach something is worth hearing!

I got a good spoken, written and understanding of english (graduated in an advanced level english course here in Brazil) and did one exchange program to USA when I was in the university. I'm willing to learn everything I can from those who are already in the market for all this years and can be a verry good asset in both your teams.

For more info about me, please verify my portifolio and ask me for my CV! http://www.dmorato.com.br

I'm willing to make a spin im my life and go where your office is, if needed!

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay. I cannot answer anyone about the position, because that would be unfair to CG Architect, since we have not officially posted on the site yet.

The big problem I am dealing with now is the powers that be (my bosses) want to find talent but not spend any money finding them. Therefore we are finding, as Scott said, so many architects that just dabble in 3D.

I appreciate the interest and the suggestions.

Cheers,