angle & flare - too much?

jensandersen

1415403798.jpg

Studio/Institution: Personal project
Genre: Other
Software: 3ds max, vray, forestpack and PS
Description:

So I wanted to see if I could get a moody picture out of a pretty standard housing type here in Denmark. I know it does not really showcase the architecture itself, but more the life and mood that would happen there instead.

Did I go too much overboard with the "dropped camera" angle and flare? I wanted it to seem like the kid dropped it and ran as the dad called... Happy family summer vibe type of stuff and a picture that would spike some interest in an otherwise borring setting :)

Any critique and feedback is more than welcome! Im here to learn.

(Final picture on page 2)

Edited by jensandersen

How about to make angle goes upper right corner, instead of lower right corner? Try and check if you like it.

To much glow, for me. Try to localize glow in one corner, where the sun is, not over whole image.

If you want to add blur/Depth of field, I think its better idea to blured far away objects, than near one.

Just my 2cc...

The dad is too gray and he's blending into the brick. Also his stance is kind of stiffish. If you're telling a story I think a better rendition of the destination would improve things. Also the room is kind os stark. I think some reflections would make it more natural looking.

Thanks guys, I'll try and adjust my z-depth pass to have the blur a bit further away, this one was too close as you mentioned Zdravko. I'm going to play a bit more with the glow/flare before dismissing it though.

I can't see why the kid is scary nicnic, but I do get what you say about the colours being a bit flat.

That is perfect Dario! I had the same idea in mind, but gave up after a long scroll through google on: "Camera Strap". Couldn't find a suitable angle. Did you just end up scrolling further down than me?

Good point George, I think I will end up replacing the dad with one facing the camera/kid and more energized so the "destination" will be more clear as you said. Regarding reflections in the room, would you go for adding different materials on the objects to reflect the light comming from the right or maybe just make the windows more reflective?

I might end up going with a different angle as Zdravko suggested, the more I look at the picture the more it feels too messy/chaotic.

This might be the view I will go to instead and have your feedback in mind.

wtdLGo8.jpg

Always great to get some fresh eyes on the work. Much appreciated!

That is perfect Dario! I had the same idea in mind, but gave up after a long scroll through google on: "Camera Strap". Couldn't find a suitable angle. Did you just end up scrolling further down than me?

Probably, i to googled "camera strap" :)

But i think it would be better to model it, my photoshop is just "proof of concept". It looks strange and to small, and, well - wrong :)

Wow, there are some really crazy entries for that competition! Wish I had known there was such a competition. I won't have the time to get the project to anywhere near their level before it ends. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to just try with the time I do have - maybe you can come and watch my kid for a few days Zdravko? ;) I would ask nicnic, but he seems afraid of children!

Dario - yeah, I tried taking a few shots of my Canon's strap today, but it didn't really turn out good either. Will just model it as you suggested.

• 3 weeks later...