3DS Max 2015- object in view-port seems self-illuminated/pure white

branskyj

Hi all.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, there sure is a similar thread at the Autodesk forum but with no solution...

I am at work here and when I create a simple object (sphere) in 3DS Max Design 2015, assign a VRay material (no textures) and set it to "Show realistic material in viewport" the object becomes completely white as if a self-illuminated material has been applied to it.

If set it to "Show shaded material in viewport" the material is displayed properly (just not as pretty of course).

The same thing does't happen if I use Standard material (not VRay). Then it shows perfectly fine.

We still have 3DS Max Design 2014 and 2013 and they work perfectly fine.

Our Max 2015 have the latest SP2 installed, I even updated the graphics drivers to the latest and still the same issue. The same issue we have on all the PCs with 3DS Max 2015 instlled.

I wouldn't normally b.tch about it but the Realistic view gives so much more information (reflections, refraction, bump) than the shaded one.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much.

Have you checked what you have assigned as renderer? Press F10, go to common, find the Assign renderer tab (or whatever it is called) and see if you have set everything you can to something with vray? The activeshade one is probably the one that you may have forgotten? I dont know, but it is the only thing that crossed my mind that might have something to do with it.

VRay is assigned as a render by default. We never use anything else anyway.

I forgot to mention- it all renders perfectly fine in spite of the viewport glitch.

In the other similar thread I found at Area (Autodesk) the user was complaining from exactly the same just his objects were not white but black.

Cheers for the help Nicolai.

• 2 months later...

Hey Dan,

I couldn't find any solution yet. And which is even more weird- very few people complain from the same problem, which leads me to believe it is something related to my home and work machines (graphic drivers, .NET version if that even matters or something else).

Still stuck on Max 2014 for that reason anyway.

Hope you can solve that puzzle for both of us :)

Cheers mate.

We upgraded to 3.00.08 4-5 weeks ago. We'll get the really latest one these days.

Strange though- I just tried to recreate the problem in Max 2015 with VRay 3 and don't get that issue now. On the other hand if I remember correctly the problem did not manifest every single time before either, so...

I am not sure if Windows Updates could have anything to do with them but we got a lot of those these days installed.

Oh well, Max 2015 has other issue anyway...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...