Old drawings appearing when pasting new drawings

acjwalker

Hello Peeps,

I have got a very strange issue. I have put up with it for a while but have had enough.

When I am pasting in from another file other bits from a file i did the same on months ago also get pasted in.

I will go through my stages.

I have a file open

I select what I want to copy

I start a fresh file

I paste the copied geomerytr

THIS IS WHERE IT GOES WEIRD

When I look at what I have pasted as well as what I copied it also pastes something i did the exact same procedure for a few months ago, layers and all. I delete it and just get in with it.

If I delete it all and paste again the rogue bits do not appear.

Help me people!

Cheers

Andrew

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty much with Zdravko. The one thing that crossed my mind is a "because of layer turning on/off" thing. I'll expand on it:

Maybe the original drawing has the unwanted old data in it on a layer that is off. When you say you "select what I want to copy" you don't actually just select those things you want to copy, you ctrl-a select all. Because as wrong as it sounds, select all selects things that are on an off layer. They will copy. They will paste. And _la_ that could be the problem.

It could have something to do with the way you are cutting and pasting from your previous drawings. I know there are several ways to cut and paste into a new drawing. One way that I use is: SHIFT+CTRL+C. Use this command after you have selected what you want to move over. This will start the command 'copy with base point' (you have to specify the base-point, follow the command prompt). Then I tab over (Shift+TAB) to the other drawing and do a simple CTRL+V. If you want to paste as a new block just do SHIFT+CTRL+V ,that will put everything you paste as a new block - then you could explode it later. These aren't modified hotkeys, they are default in AutoCAD (I am pretty sure they are the same in AutoCAD Architecture too.)

Other option (a workaround) would be to simply write your select to a block (default hotkey 'W') specify a location to save it and then import it into your new drawing through the insert block command (hotkey 'I')

• 1 month later...